Are you buying Theia when it is available? (Poll)

Are you buying Theia when it is available?

• Total voters

crimson96

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Only if/when a remote install / RC-M style is available and it's in the same ballpark price.
No way would I consider a windshield mounted theia.

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
If Theia will be super sensitive then perhaps it would be possible to put it behind front seats, to the back of your car for maximum stealth.

Token

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If Theia will be super sensitive then perhaps it would be possible to put it behind front seats, to the back of your car for maximum stealth.
With convertibles you have a couple of options, custom installed remote detectors, take the detector off the mount (wherever you have it mounted in the cab) every time you park someplace, or put up the roof every time you park. I have several convertibles that I drive on a regular bases, and I like having detectors in them when possible. Custom installed remotes tend to be my system of choice for these vehicles, but I am always looking for lower cost options. A remote version of the R7 (come on R9) would probably be just the ticket for my applications.

In my 2015 Miata I was reasonably successful with an R7 installed (as a week long test) behind the headrest on the passenger side. This generation of Miata has a pseudo roll bar kind of loop behind each headrest. I mounted the detector in the loop, facing forward, with a color matched cover over the back closing off the loop. Even when I left the top down glancing in the car you would not see the detector.

The detector worked pretty well in that location, but since I could not see the readout a lot of the usability of the detector was lost.

I seriously considered modifying the R7. Building an enclosure to mount the detector behind the flip up wind screen between the seats, remoting the switches, and a small camera inside the enclosure to monitor the face of the detector, with a small LCD built into the instrument cluster. Or possibly just remoting the face plate as a unit. However, I was not that dedicated to the effort, and the existing remote mount detector in the vehicle works OK, if well behind the curve in false filtering.

If I was the kind of person who always had my phone with me I might seriously consider a V1G2 (or some other detector integrated into an app) for such an application.

My point is, I found that unless you never have to touch the detector, mounting it behind you is not a very appealing option, even if it seldom/never falses and has adequate sensitivity in the mounting location. I suspect the RDF personas, that personality of enthusiast, will want to see the face.

T!

bqnkmn2428

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just curious how other enthusiasts plan to handle Theia’s release when it happens.

I’m thinking I’m good for now with my R7 set to California Mode. Theia will likely be my next detector when it’s time to move along.
Think will wait for first buyers to provide feedback. Redline 360c is an example. Also need to know the price. Could be steep 🤑.

Nexeo

01001011 01100001
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was an early adopter of the 9500i, the 360, the R3, and the R7 and I can appreciate anyone's concern with being a consumer of the first batch of any new detectors. I returned the 9500i and the 360, and had to update the firmware on the R3 and R7 a few times before I was satisfied. However, I'm jumping in head first on Theia preorders, no questions asked. Working in technology and software, I have a great amount of respect for the Radenso team in the engineering they're doing and how they're interacting with the community and sharing their progress! I'm anxious to get my hands on this device and happy to provide constructive feedback, as I think this is an absolutely revolutionary and industry disrupting release! Keep up the killer work, Radenso!

LI2624

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I do not see any real drawbacks to early adoption. All RDs will have growing pains, FW updates, modifications. But I am liking what I am hearing and seeing with Theia. As issues arrive, updates will come, as with every iteration of detectors no matter the make (so better than others). And, if I do not like it, I can always return it in accordance with their return policy.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The last two flagship detector launches seem to have set the bar pretty low in both build quality and functionality respectively. It would be nice to see someone step to the plate and hit it out of the park on the first at bat.

We need SOMETHING to break right in 2020...

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I will wait and see how it performs in the early going. Looking at there videos and seeing some of the people working on this detector I'm sure that when it is released it will perform right out of the box the way all of us expect it too. It will make them a lot of $$$ and make us happy to have it on our windshield.

crimson96

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing but the ONLY WAY is if/when it is a full remote install. There is absolutely no way I would consider a windshield mount at all. Period. A windshield mount is simply not an option in any form regardless of some of the "smart techniques" I have read here on trying to make it "stealth" . Fully remote installed is the only way I can consider Theia. So when it is, I will purchase, otherwise I would buy the RC/M even if it is the older technology before I ever buy Theia windshield mount version.

Beemerchef

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It all is going to depend, first on one's financial situation of course, but also, as now, the driving needs and experiences. From the video I watched of Vortex with Jon [SEMA], the Theia is a totally different animal... a revolution in R/D. Does not care about frequencies, with a scanning speed into the milliseconds and I believe over 3GH and more including an incredible distance... It will pick up anything World Wide...I am sure the LEOs are keeping up with it's arrival. It actually is a computer with an oscillator and not technically a R/D. [that is what I understood, if wrong, please don't hold it against me....].
Personally, I am more than happy with the V1G2 and the JBV2 as a companion and my needs will never necessitate the Theia. I am retired. I don't use a R/D in this little rural town and I only have it on when I am up driving loops up the mountains.
From what he said, I am figuring in the $800 range? Anyone has seen the video from SEMA? About 30 minutes, well worth the time.
I will be very curious however on the reports and who knows, if I hit the Lottery I might buy one! But first I have to buy the tickets!

spinner55

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll be happy to be one of the first to buy / own and test Theia. Been saving up my pennies and have enough saved now.

I am on the waiting list to get one.

Take care
Spin

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam101