Trying to find an installer to install an ALP

bbert73

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I call this ALP dealer here in Baton Rouge about installing my ALP. 1st he said I'd have to buy the entire system from him with a $500 mark up from what they were asking for it on their website. Then he said he wanted at least $1000 for labor and that's if everything goes well. Now they've been in business for almost 40 years, that's why I went to him in the 1st place. But I think he's trying to pull my eyes out of my sockets, am I wrong? Anyway, I call another dealer in Houston and he says he'll only charge me what they're asking for on the website. And then he said about the same for labor, $800-1000. And the guy in Houston said he tested them not with a real laser gun but the same key fob tester you get from AL. What do y'all think?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
That labor amount is about right for a professional shop. Most of them will bill $100+ an hour and it will take 8-10 hours to do a truly professional install on some cars.

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So I call this ALP dealer here in Baton Rouge about installing my ALP. 1st he said I'd have to buy the entire system from him with a $500 mark up from what they were asking for it on their website. Then he said he wanted at least $1000 for labor and that's if everything goes well. Now they've been in business for almost 40 years, that's why I went to him in the 1st place. But I think he's trying to pull my eyes out of my sockets, am I wrong? Anyway, I call another dealer in Houston and he says he'll only charge me what they're asking for on the website. And then he said about the same for labor, $800-1000. And the guy in Houston said he tested them not with a real laser gun but the same key fob tester you get from AL. What do y'all think?
What car? Many cars aren't too hard to Install on, I have done a few of them and can get it done in under an hour on some and a a couple hours on others... Usually the hard part is getting the wires through the firewall, difficulty varies car to car, if that's not something you are comfortable with, most car audio shops will run the wires through the firewall for under $200 and you can place the sensors yourself to save money.

bbert73

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Yeah that's what they said, one to one and a half days

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
Whatever you decide to get ; please make sure you know how to use it and turn off / disable it.
You’ll have to practice it so it becomes a reflex for when you get lasered. You don’t want to be jamming their gun the whole time.
Soon as you slow down to an acceptable speed, push the button to disable the jammer. Otherwise you’ll raise suspicion and run the risk of being pulled over.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
If you plan to keep the car for a while and care a lot about everything looking perfect and OEM, then pay the extra grand and enjoy your professional install. Otherwise, installing ALP yourself shouldn't be too difficult depending on your vehicle and can save you significant money. When I did my install, instead of paying $800 for a complete install, I paid $40 for my sensor wires to be run through the firewall and then did the rest of the job myself. (I had no previous install experience and my vehicle was harder than most.)

bbert73

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Whatever you decide to get ; please make sure you know how to use it and turn off / disable it.
You’ll have to practice it so it becomes a reflex for when you get lasered. You don’t want to be jamming their gun the whole time.
Soon as you slow down to an acceptable speed, push the button to disable the jammer. Otherwise you’ll raise suspicion and run the risk of being pulled over.
I think I'm going to ask them to install a kill switch. That way if I get hit, I won't have to start looking for what button to press. It'll Just shut down everything.
Just a simple rocker switch. It's a 3 prong switch. Like this....

0520200707.jpg0520200707a.jpg
What do y'all think? Think it'll be too difficult for them?

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think I'm going to ask them to install a kill switch. That way if I get hit, I won't have to start looking for what button to press. It'll Just shut down everything.

View attachment 147982View attachment 147983
most of my installs had a kill switch. Perfectly ok 👌

mrdead72

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can help u if u havent got this done , ive put in tmg and blinders in multiple vehicles , the only thing i dont like about the alp is the sensor brackets they use not very friendly , like the others , im local , let me know , deff not worth a g for install

omgboost

Left Lane Hog
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 147982View attachment 147983
You just hit any of the two buttons on the control pad to kill the jammer function. No need to press a specific button. Also, the control pad can be stuck mostly anywhere with double sided tape. Those kill switches require some drilling or a hole, if that's what you're willing to do.

From your signature, looks like you drive a Toyota Prius. A Toyota is very easy to work on and I'm sure there's tons of videos and threads on the internet about how to remove panels and what not so if you have the time, I'd work up the courage to see if you can install it yourself. Sure, it won't look nice like those thousand dollar installs where you have custom panels to mount the control pad and hide the sensors but you'll also save $1,000 and still be as effective. It sure didn't take me a whole day or a day an a half to install mine but again, I don't have any of the nice things those thousand dollar installs have. You may want to ask them what they are going to do, install-wise, with that amount of labor.

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
Gentlemen in the last two months since this thread was updated , I believe he’s gotten this installed and tested.

mrdead72

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Gentlemen in the last two months since this thread was updated , I believe he’s gotten this installed and tested.
I'm always late to the party , small party before hand !!! I'm no professional but I've done enough radios and amps and my own jammers to know how !! Dam I could have saved Him a lot of $$$$

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scrappy281