Two Head Jamming Capability

yegz34

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Something to consider when it comes to angling heads up.
Be careful on how much you angle heads. The beam spread is about 2 in per foot average on a regular RX head, the TX might be different, I have never tested one of those, and I know it has a vertical beam but I don't think it fires with the dragon. Two inches per foot equals about 8 feet at 100 feet

So if you use those numbers you have about a 9 degree total beam spread, if you divide that in half you have approximately 4.5 degrees of beam spread up and 4.5 down, if level. This limits how much you can tilt the head and still have coverage in both directions.

So if you can actually get it precise then 2-3 degrees would be about as much as you would want to go and still have some coverage for ground level shots.

IMO all heads could be angled up 1 degree or so, but getting that precise is really hard to do and maintain in the real world. I think the difficulty in achieving such small amounts is why tweaking heads seems to have such a large effect on performance.
That’s some good info, thank you for that. Mounting on the rear of a 370 is incredibly difficult to get it to be perfectly level. Every few days they move slightly down , need to secure them a little better. There’s words going around of a 3D printed rear mount for the Z. Need to find a way to secure it better.

Gatortotz

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sugru is probably the best way to mount if you're looking for easy and bulletproof

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Something to consider when it comes to angling heads up.
Be careful on how much you angle heads. The beam spread is about 2 in per foot average on a regular RX head, the TX might be different, I have never tested one of those, and I know it has a vertical beam but I don't think it fires with the dragon. Two inches per foot equals about 8 feet at 100 feet

So if you use those numbers you have about a 9 degree total beam spread, if you divide that in half you have approximately 4.5 degrees of beam spread up and 4.5 down, if level. This limits how much you can tilt the head and still have coverage in both directions.

So if you can actually get it precise then 2-3 degrees would be about as much as you would want to go and still have some coverage for ground level shots.

IMO all heads could be angled up 1 degree or so, but getting that precise is really hard to do and maintain in the real world. I think the difficulty in achieving such small amounts is why tweaking heads seems to have such a large effect on performance.
I agree, but will add....

It will also depend on "where" your heads are. If they are mounted low (say ..... less than 20" from the ground on a Sports Car), you can angle the heads up to almost 5 degrees.

As you go higher with the head mounts (Trucks/SUV), the more they need to be closer to if not level. As a guess (haven't tested), somewhere above the 36" above the ground is where I "believe" that they should be level.

Testing this will be the only way to truly know what the limits are and to formulate some sort of guidelines for each manufacturer's heads.

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

It will also depend on "where" your heads are. If they are mounted low (say ..... less than 20" from the ground on a Sports Car), you can angle the heads up to almost 5 degrees.

As you go higher with the head mounts (Trucks/SUV), the more they need to be closer to if not level. As a guess (haven't tested), somewhere above the 36" above the ground is where I "believe" that they should be level.

Testing this will be the only way to truly know what the limits are and to formulate some sort of guidelines for each manufacturer's heads.
When we tested the angle theory on @Kennyc56 's vehicle, anything beyond said angle, will do nothing. 5 degrees on TMG at measured height, are just good receivers only (@ level shooting) if the LEO is not doing overpass shots... <--- though not tested yet.

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
RX heads should be completely straight down the road.
TX should be angled 2-3 degrees upwards.
Post automatically merged:

Was out for a drive in Edmonton today when I got hit From behind by our photo trucks which use dragon eye from overpasses down onto the highway. I was curious of other people experiences with ALP jamming capability with two ALP RX heads in the rear?
Also good to note I have a 370z so rear mounting points are not ideal.
Two rear RX heads will defend you in 50-70% of DETCam encounters. Not more than that.

Last edited:

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

5 degrees is way too much, height of Mount would only make any difference at extremely close range shots, at normal range it would barely make any difference, as in a fraction of a degree. Go on the computer and check out a Triangle Calculator and throw some numbers in there and you will see exactly what I mean.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfd