JBV1 on an iPhone XR? Or any iPhone?

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is even possible? I really like the user interface and it would be super nice to have.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, JBV1 is not available for iOS. If you're interested in the reasons, I believe there is a post in the JBV1 section.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
No, JBV1 is not available for iOS. If you're interested in the reasons, I believe there is a post in the JBV1 section.
To summarize, it comes down to the unreasonably high cost of iOS development.

@FuzzBusterDale I suggest you do what I did and purchase an inexpensive Android phone for the purpose of running CM apps. You may find it's a very worthwhile investment.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
To summarize, it comes down to the unreasonably high cost of iOS development.

@FuzzBusterDale I suggest you do what I did and purchase an inexpensive Android phone for the purpose of running CM apps. You may find it's a very worthwhile investment.

How did you go about doing this? I have a cell phone account through T-Mobile. This is why I am asking.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
How did you go about doing this? I have a cell phone account through T-Mobile. This is why I am asking.
When I use the Android, I turn its WiFi on and I use some of my cell phone data to run the CM app by tethering it to my main iOS phone.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Had same issue and solved it by picking up a cheap pre paid phone at walmart 29$ trac phone. Removed that phone's sim card and as mentioned above, used it via my iphones personal hot spot feature. Works great and its cheap.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The issue with iOS is that Apples system doesn't allow JB to implement all the features.
Plus, he puts an amazing amount of time into the Android version, and doesn't want the extra workload.
A cheap dedicated phone is the answer, and Vortex has a vid about installing WiFi in your car.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Had same issue and solved it by picking up a cheap pre paid phone at walmart 29$ trac phone. Removed that phone's sim card and as mentioned above, used it via my iphones personal hot spot feature. Works great and its cheap.

How long ago did you do this? All you did was remove the SIM card and yet the pre-paidWal-Mart Android phone connected to your iPhone's hotspot?
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you have the ability to use tethering or hotspot on your iphone, you can pick up a cheap andriod or a used andriod off ebay and just use the hotspot from your phone to give the andriod wifi data that it needs for the apps to work. if you pull the sim card from a prepaid andriod phone the phone will not be able to connect to celluar data services (which you would have to pay for), but it will still work via wifi just fine for the apps. I have several of my older andriod phones with no sims in them that I use for additional CM apps in my car and I just tether them via hotspot off my current phone. it all depends if you can use the hotspot function on your iphone, some carriers charge extra for that (though there are ways to bypass it)

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is even possible? I really like the user interface and it would be super nice to have.

There is a project currently working on a way to have android on an iPhone:

Hopefully they will figure out the last parts soon. Other than that just pick up a cheap Android and hotspot it to your phone, or run the cheap data cards.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
There is a project currently working on a way to have android on an iPhone:

Hopefully they will figure out the last parts soon. Other than that just pick up a cheap Android and hotspot it to your phone, or run the cheap data cards.

I don't think taking an iPhone and replacing iOS with Android is a real solution. If you can't run an Android app on iOS, you're almost certainly better off selling that old iPhone and buying an Android phone.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't think taking an iPhone and replacing iOS with Android is a real solution. If you can't run an Android app on iOS, you're almost certainly better off selling that old iPhone and buying an Android phone.

Are you the man behind JBV1?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that you only lose some functionality without cell data. All the control features, marks and DB are still usable.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
The thing about iPhone is many users like myself don't just have the phone. I use the phone, iPads , Macs, Apple TVs, HomePods, Airports for internet, Apple watch and the list goes on. They all integrate and share data seamlessly. Just get a cheap android sounds easy. I get it, I have one here that would work that was an old work phone but to someone like me neck deep in an alternate OS its not appealing.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
At R4D4RUS3R, I get what you are saying. But, if all I have to do is get a cheap android phone and take the SIM card out. Well, this makes it easy for me. I only use an iPhone. I have a laptop that runs windows. It's kind of crazy to spend that kind of money on an airport, homepod (whatever that is), Macs, iPad, Appple TV, etc.

P.S. Don't hate me R4D4RUS3R.......lol

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
At R4D4RUS3R, I get what you are saying. But, if all I have to do is get a cheap android phone and take the SIM card out. Well, this makes it easy for me. I only use an iPhone. I have a laptop that runs windows. It's kind of crazy to spend that kind of money on an airport, homepod (whatever that is), Macs, iPad, Appple TV, etc.

P.S. Don't hate me R4D4RUS3R.......lol
Oh no issue at all. Just saying its not easy for everyone to just grab one. I didn’t say that I already have an iPad Mini on the dash so adding a phone would just make it more crowded. I think its a fine idea if you’re a G2 user and want to use JBV1, everything I’ve seen its a great application.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Oh no issue at all. Just saying its not easy for everyone to just grab one. I didn’t say that I already have an iPad Mini on the dash so adding a phone would just make it more crowded. I think its a fine idea if you’re a G2 user and want to use JBV1, everything I’ve seen its a great application.

Having never owned or used android phones it was a bit awkward at first. But as my use of it is only for jbv1 and highwy radar it has been pretty simple. The hardest part was removing all the preloaded bloatware included with the phone and turning off the unneeded features.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vader716