ANY info about Theia that can be shared?

racerx1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It does not require USB Power Delivery - I avoided that on purpose. But it will need to be able to supply 3a max.

Since we are talking about Blendmount as a mounting option; do most rearview mirrors supply 3a? Where does one even find schematics for this to determine? Thx

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been answered or not but why the name "Theia?"

Sounds very weird/odd. Hopefully it's just the project name and not the final version.

F87SOURCE

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If Theia performs as promoted, It'll be well worth $1300-1400 CAD for me. Otherwise
I'm not a fan of paying big bucks every couple of years for the latest, incrementally improved RD. Testing results will tell it all.
For me if it really does eliminate BSM's (which it should) and lives up to the hype and can detect redflex I am likely going to get it sooner or later. Laser jammers first though.
Post automatically merged:

Since we are talking about Blendmount as a mounting option; do most rearview mirrors supply 3a? Where does one even find schematics for this to determine? Thx
The rain sensor (purple plug) on bmw mirrors do (actually maybe capable of alot more than 3 amps as people have powered dual channel 4k dash cameras and a radar detector off of it - this can be comfirmed in ISTA) iirc. But the only way to really check is if your car has a wiring diagram or schematic diagram, for bmw it is ISTA which is the factory level diagnostics tool which tells you literally everything about the car down to the torque specs and pin out of every single part in the car and how to assemble it.

Last edited:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score

Sounds very weird/odd. Hopefully it's just the project name and not the final version.
It's named after the Greek goddess of sight (this question has been answered before in a video). It is the name of both the project and of the finished radar detector. I don't think the name of the product is very important as far as whether or not to buy it. Radenso probably wants it to be a little more recognizable than an alphanumeric name like most other detectors have.

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

Answered on our Radenso Theia page right below the email signup list field:

jperaino24

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have a 360c, a R7, and a V1G2. When Theia comes out deciding which one to sell!

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
While we’re brainstorming about various topics, I’ve been curious about international radar recently so I joined a Russian RD forum and have been chatting with them.

One thing that caught my eye was how their radar guns often use pulsed and modulated radar that can be ID’ed by the “signature” of the signal, something that Theia should be able to do even better.

Now what’s especially curious to me is the speed of some of the pulses. Here’s two example pulse patterns from Russian radar guns:

7B952A70-E43B-4B0B-A1B8-CEE5018069B2.png

The first one is the Strelka-CT. I have no idea how this can be, but apparently it shoots 256 pulses that are 30 ns each every 1/3 to 1/6 of a sec. With a 50% duty cycle, that means each group of pulses lasts just over 15 microseconds, or more than 4,000x faster than one 67ms POP shot or more than 1,000x faster than a 16ms POP shot, and I thought POP was fast...

The other one is a Kris-P signal which also modulates on the order of microseconds, slower than the Strelka, but also still much faster than POP.

Russian RD’s look for the “signatures” (as they call them) of these different radar guns to ID them. I figured Theia would be great for this too, but these are wayyyy faster than what we traditionally deal with here. Could Theia scan fast enough to pick these up too?

The guys are having to disable K filters and enable POP detection to get hyper responsiveness which only makes BSM’s way worse for them. (They only have K band there. No Ka.)

So the technical challenges of accurately classifying super fast modulated radar while disabling traditional filters and still filtering out BSM’s is super interesting...

I’m really curious how Theia can help in these situations, as are they. :)

and from a training perspective, I know you’ve mentioned Jon that it’s hard to get good clean recordings from people, but I’m curious how feasible it’d be to get recordings sent to you vs your thoughts on traveling around to record for RAI yourselves.

Last edited:

Corman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
According to Google just NYC PD alone has over 38,000 officers compared to 68,000 in all of Canada combined.

We're such a small market compared to the US I don't think we'll have much impact on sales either way. Losing over 30 cents on the US dollar kills us when buying from the US.

Agreed?
No need for a radar detector in NYC , its gridlock 24/7 . Any slower and you go backwards.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
do most rearview mirrors supply 3a?
It looks like the requirement is 3A @ 5V (USB), so 15W max. From a 12V source like a vehicle, you'd draw <1.5A, even accounting for inefficiencies in the DC-DC converter.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No need for a radar detector in NYC , its gridlock 24/7 . Any slower and you go backwards.
Fully agree.

I was just trying show the huge difference between the two countries when one city has more than 50% of the officers as all of Canada combined.

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Vortex

I’m at the Russian link you linked us to and my head hurts already. These guys (Russia) are on a different level man. (They have slightly more members than RDF but not sure how many are active or not ) Please keep us updated with your multilingual interfaced self haha. I feel they’re an asset to the field whether or not we face the same threats or not, any advancement is welcome and they are just as excited for Theia as we are . They’ve mentioned @Jon at Radenso and they wish him success, which I’m happy to hear they already know all about this (Theia) and us (RDF)

Last edited:

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hopefully Theia will not have any hardware limits against Strelka, or else that tech might be quickly adopted in west.

@Jon at Radenso what do you think?

racerx1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It looks like the requirement is 3A @ 5V (USB), so 15W max. From a 12V source like a vehicle, you'd draw <1.5A, even accounting for inefficiencies in the DC-DC converter.

That's what I thought, but what confuses me is why have a Blendmount mount to attach Theia to rearview mirror if mirror can't supply required power for Theia? Unless one is planning on routing through headliner and down A-pillar to fuse panel either that or use coil cord to a power port.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but what confuses me is why have a Blendmount mount to attach Theia to rearview mirror if mirror can't supply required power for Theia? Unless one is planning on routing through headliner and down A-pillar to fuse panel either that or use coil cord to a power port.

I think what he is saying is that 3a @ 5v is actually 1.5A max at 12v, which a lot of mirrors probably can supply.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think what he is saying is that 3a @ 5v is actually 1.5A max at 12v, which a lot of mirrors probably can supply.
Is it possible to have a small DC to DC converter to step down to 5 volts to allow a mirror tap to still be incorporated? I don't know if you have researched that already, but in addition to permanent mounts, that's my preferred choice.

I've never liked the thought of adding additional weight to the rearview mirror, because I've seen mirrors fall off windshields under their own weight, and it seems like subsequent attempts to reattach the mirror are never as good as the original. Maybe because removing the all original glue is almost impossible. That's why I've never been attracted to the blendmount personally.

Last edited:

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
We are all so ready to purchase this. Technology is changing so fast! I wonder if there will be a detector that will alert for drones that are being used for speed enforcement. Lots are talking about blend mounts but, I'm one that won't be using that kind of mount. In my opinion...well in my vehicle, the detector will be too obvious if a blend mount will be used. I mount my up high and is not visible but can be seen if you look from the driver's side window if you look closely. I'm hoping there will be a mount where it can be a quick release slide and lock and remove. I always remove my detector or any expensive electronics for potential thieves. I also hope the connection to power it will be durable for quick and continuous removal. My Uniden R3 plug in/phone cord style broke by the plastic clip and now I use a hairband to secure the cord to my detector so it won't pop out and stays plugged in. That's my gripe with those style cords. I also hope this detector will quickly connect to GPS. Seems like if you use a car cam close by your detector, the GPS on my Uniden R3 takes a few mins for the GPS to connect. But all in all... I'm ready to purchase this new detector and hopefully this will be a detector that we will not have to upgrade in the next year or so because things needs to be corrected because of the new launch. We all know and understand there will be bugs and kinks that can or will happen and hope the hardware will support many changes that needs to be corrected or improved. Thanks for always updating us with new information and we are all ready to purchase it. Thanks for making it possible for having an awesome counter measure! Keep Healthy!

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olemil