ANY info about Theia that can be shared?

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, I'm not asking about release date, or price, or functionality, or looks...

I'm curious about other stuff, just cuz I'm bored and I think this would be safe to share if you've finalized it yet.

@Jon at Radenso, or @Randy at Radenso,

Can you share what type(s) of mounts you will have with any pics? I personally a fan of permanent windshield mounts, but curious if you'll have visor mounts, magnetic mounts, etc. Can we see what the connection interface will look like? How it will connect to Theia, etc.

Any accessories you plan on including? What does the power supply (both cig plug and direct wire) look like? Are we getting both options shipped with Theia?

What's the storage case going to look like? Packaging materials? Got a manual to share?

This might make a fun Friday video if you have a slow content week. I am assuming some of these items are close to being finalized because you gotta have them made and in stock to ship with Theia when it's ready.

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso , I know we are probably starting to annoy you, but will you shoot a video this weekend?

NorEaster18

"No more government subsidies for active basses."
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know we are probably bugging Jon and Randy at this point. But man, the suspense is burning!

If you guys were answering questions (and only if), I would love it if you could share how you go about deciding alert tones. That's one thing that really stands out to me about a detector. The alert tones being attention grabbing is so key, as I am sure you guys are well aware. Will they be user customizable to any degree?

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think production may be closer than we think. Just kinks to be ironed out. Oh, and that corona thing needs to gtfo.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They mentioned a Blendmount will be available, and power will be USB-C. I don't think anything has been said about a suction cup stock mount.
Post automatically merged:

The one relevant question I can think of is... will it require true USB-C? Or just a USB-C plug? Some devices need full USB-C with a smart charger that can handshake and "talk" to the device you plug in, while others just need dumb 5V on a USB-C plug.

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
They mentioned a Blendmount will be available, and power will be USB-C. I don't think anything has been said about a suction cup stock mount.

The one relevant question I can think of is... will it require true USB-C? Or just a USB-C plug? Some devices need full USB-C with a smart charger that can handshake and "talk" to the device you plug in, while others just need dumb 5V on a USB-C plug.
Great Point !!! 👍👍
🤓🤓
Benzr

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Highly doubt it’s coming out this year. The market for a premium $1000+ RD in this economy doesn’t make sense. JMO

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Highly doubt it’s coming out this year. The market for a premium $1000+ RD in this economy doesn’t make sense. JMO
They've stated repeatedly and recently here on the forums and in their YouTube videos that they're still on sched for 2020 release, including having a finalized Theia circuit board, and with a price point that doesn't exceed $1000.

Respectfully, I hope you're wrong, but only time will tell. :beer: while we wait :laugh:

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Jon stated that the price will be more than a 360c, less than a grand (so $650-1000). As long as the hardware is solid, I'd be willing to give it a go. Software can always be updated.

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Jon stated that the price will be more than a 360c, less than a grand (so $650-1000). As long as the hardware is solid, I'd be willing to give it a go. Software can always be updated.
We were simul-posting - tag you're it! :happyanim:

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

As long as it’s under $1K, count me in. But of course I will wait it out a few months until all the kinks/bugs are worked out before getting one. After the V1G2 fiasco, I will never purchase a RD immediately after release. Then again I’m not an RD “nerd” like some here. ;)

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
As long as it’s under $1K, count me in. But of course I will wait it out a few months until all the kinks/bugs are worked out before getting one. After the V1G2 fiasco, I will never purchase a RD immediately after release. Then again I’m not an RD “nerd” like some here. ;)
That's a fair perspective. Some people are seriously feeling the limitations of their current units and will jump to get their hands on Theia as soon as possible. Others are more content with their current setup and will wait to make sure any bugs are worked out and performance is tested in many real-world encounters before getting on board. Some, whether for financial reasons or because of the areas in which they drive and their driving behavior, may decide that the upgrade to Theia is not worth the money (perhaps users in areas with very flat terrain where K filtering is not an issue).

Whatever the case, I think it's clear there will be plenty of members here who will be very grateful to have Theia released sooner rather than later. There won't be a large market, but Jon knew that going in. He's making a product for those who want and need the best.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
No, I'm not asking about release date, or price, or functionality, or looks...

I'm curious about other stuff, just cuz I'm bored and I think this would be safe to share if you've finalized it yet.

@Jon at Radenso, or @Randy at Radenso,

Can you share what type(s) of mounts you will have with any pics? I personally a fan of permanent windshield mounts, but curious if you'll have visor mounts, magnetic mounts, etc. Can we see what the connection interface will look like? How it will connect to Theia, etc.

Any accessories you plan on including? What does the power supply (both cig plug and direct wire) look like? Are we getting both options shipped with Theia?

What's the storage case going to look like? Packaging materials? Got a manual to share?

This might make a fun Friday video if you have a slow content week. I am assuming some of these items are close to being finalized because you gotta have them made and in stock to ship with Theia when it's ready.

We will be including a large sticky cup for sure. We are investigating patent legalities of doing something for the first time mounting wise with radar detectors that would open up a ton of third party ideas as well. I also am a fan of permanent mounts and I want to make sure we have the ability to have as solid as a mount as possible.

@Jon at Radenso , I know we are probably starting to annoy you, but will you shoot a video this weekend?

No, I had planned on a fairly big video friday but we hit a snag that pushed it back.

If you guys were answering questions (and only if), I would love it if you could share how you go about deciding alert tones. That's one thing that really stands out to me about a detector. The alert tones being attention grabbing is so key, as I am sure you guys are well aware. Will they be user customizable to any degree?

Right now we are just re-using XP alert tones because it's convenient and easy. Alert tones take two seconds for us to change in the FW so I don't feel pressured to finalize that yet, we have other things that need to take priority. Especially because we will allow users to upload their own.

It does not require USB Power Delivery - I avoided that on purpose. But it will need to be able to supply 3a max.

It's coming out this year. The guys buying an under $1k detector are less impacted than those saving their pennies for a $350 bang for the buck detector.

Dr M5 Comp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Hoping we can use same Blendmount as used for Pro M. Don't be Apple and change the peripherals every model please.

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
R7 in Canada is $799 range. How much more are Canadians willing to pay ? This will be interesting to watch.
According to Google just NYC PD alone has over 38,000 officers compared to 68,000 in all of Canada combined.

We're such a small market compared to the US I don't think we'll have much impact on sales either way. Losing over 30 cents on the US dollar kills us when buying from the US.

Agreed?

F87SOURCE

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
R7 in Canada is $799 range. How much more are Canadians willing to pay ? This will be interesting to watch.
The canadian peso's are killing me atm lol

According to Google just NYC PD alone has over 38,000 officers compared to 68,000 in all of Canada combined.

We're such a small market compared to the US I don't think we'll have much impact on sales either way. Losing over 30 cents on the US dollar kills us when buying from the US.

Agreed?
It would be fine if the difference was just the conversion rate, but it's not. There are also import fees and whatnot tacked on as well which causes the difference to be even higher.

Last edited:

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hoping we can use same Blendmount as used for Pro M. Don't be Apple and change the peripherals every model please.

Worst case, Blend mount sells upgrade adapters, most of the normal ones are $30.

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If Theia performs as promoted, It'll be well worth $1300-1400 CAD for me. Otherwise
I'm not a fan of paying big bucks every couple of years for the latest, incrementally improved RD. Testing results will tell it all.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olemil