Was About To Download V1 Driver App But Saw This

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am still waiting for my Gen2 to ship so not in my possession yet. I was about to download the V1Driver App but saw this in the App Store write-up:

"This requires a Valentine One Radar Detector that is compatible with Valentine Research's Bluetooth LE Dongle. You should have Valentine Research's V1Connection App (freely available in the App store) operational before purchasing V1Driver"

I recognize the reference in the first sentence to the "LE Dongle" doesn't apply to the Gen2 since it has built in Bluetooth. So I haven't downloaded the V1Driver App yet. I'm looking for a good explanation of what the second sentence (Bold and underlined) means? I know I'm supposed to use the V1Connection App to first set up the Gen2 with the basic stuff that Vortex recommends, but I thought I am supposed to force quit the V1Connection App before starting up V1Driver?

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Edit you are correct. You can not run both apps at once. Once you have setup your V1 as you desire with the V1Connection app, V1 driver will add the gps muting functionality.

That sentence means, IF you can get the V1Connection app operational, you wont have any issue running V1Driver. If you can't get the V1 app running, you probably wont get V1Driver runner either... Don't read into it, but letting @mswlogo know that the sentence may cause confusion is a good thing!

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think there are two aspects that would inspire such a sentence:

1) V1Driver doesn't configure the detector. You still need the official V1connection app for creating any profiles and tweaking configuration of the detector itself. Once you've got that done, you can force kill the V1connection app and then open up V1Driver. In the future, if you need to use the V1connection app to make further changes, then you need to temporarily disable Bluetooth in V1Driver by tapping just above the steering wheel before then launching the V1connection app. Otherwise V1Driver is too tenacious and will still try to connect even if you force kill it. Once done configuring, kill the V1connection app, go back into V1Driver, and re-enable Bluetooth.

2) If you can't get the V1connection app connecting to the detector, V1Driver won't be able to, either, in all likelihood.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok, thank you both for your explanations. That is what I needed to understand. So I will wait for G2 arrival and then use the V1Connection app to set it up, force quit, and then buy/download the V1Driver App and set it up to do its thing.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So I will wait for G2 arrival and then use the V1Connection app to set it up, force quit, and then buy/download the V1Driver App and set it up to do its thing.
Correct. You use V1Connection to configure the bands and scan/sweep behavior, save and apply to the detector, and then hard exit it after saving. Finally, open up V1Driver and connect to your detector. You won't need to reopen V1Connection again unless you want to change the detector settings.

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This is my “What if” moment while drinking a couple of beers! What do you think? Would the V1connect app be a decent alternative to V1Driver or JBV1 if VR added GPS lockouts to the app vice the detector? I am guessing that MV probably already thought about this before deciding against it. He has made clear his thoughts on GPS. My thought was that the updated V1Connect app already adds the eSavvy low speed muting for the V1G2 without needing the additional eSavvy module and includes the frequency bands. Adding GPS lockouts to the app would just make sense, at least to me. I realize that V1 Driver and especially JBV1 still would have more features. Just thinking outside the box while waiting on my V1G2 to arrive. I recently watched Vortex’s video on V1 Driver, also have been binge reading the posts in the Valentine sub forums including the posts on the custom remote display, and have been reading various posts on JBV1...too much time on my hands!

I was using V1Driver with my old V1 before I sent that unit in for the upgrade to the Gen2 so I am fairly familiar with that app. I am new to JBV1...downloaded it to my android head unit back in April but never really tried using it even though I set it up in the standalone mode. It will be a wait and see whether or not my head unit with JBV1 will play well with the V1G2. If not, I am ok with using V1Driver on my iPhone. V1 Driver has worked well for me in the past.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette