Logic vs Advanced Logic with V1D

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yesterday was my first ride on my motorcycle with the latest V1 version and it put up a warning about using Logic mode on my V1 to allow more processing of incoming signals by V1Driver (or something like that -- I was in a hurry to get rolling and didn't memorize the warning). Up to now I have always used Advanced Logic mode.

Can you folks help me understand this? Does it apply more to car use, where you can see and interact with the phone? On my bike setup, it's 100% audio through my BT helmet setup, with the phone buried in my jacket pocket.

Thanks,

-dan

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason that they recommend Logic mode is because Advanced Logic will sometimes alert to a signal and other times it'll filter it out. Shopping center door openers are a good example. It may be able to filter them out as you approach and park, but when you get back in your car and resume driving, the V1 Gen2 will alert to it. This can cause weird things for V1Driver when it sees a signal is sometimes there and sometimes not, potentially messing up the learning and unlearning process for lockouts.

So the idea would be that you'd always want the signal there so that V1Driver can handle the muting for you.

There may be to it than that and I'm sure @mswlogo can go into more detail. :)

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Also, with Big L, when it does alert it means V1Driver doesn’t have a chance to mute it until the initial loud beep has already sounded, and that tends to annoy people. With Little L, it’s already alerting at mute volume at first, which gives V1Driver the time it needs to keep it muted (when appropriate).

It’s a conundrum, because Big L seems like a great way to go in general, but it’s less conducive to apps doing their thing. You can suppress that suggestion in V1Driver, if you decide you prefer it in Big L.

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks guys -- good info. I should have mentioned I'm still Gen1. Also, I don't use V1D in my cars, so this is strictly a motorcyle situation.

The main advantage of V1D for me (and it's a huge advantage) is auto-muting, so I don't have to keep reaching for the V1 volume button, which is not the safest move on a bike. But most of my riding is long distance touring away from home, so learning lockout locations would be a low priority. Therefore I don't use lockouts, so seems like big L is still best for my purposes.

-dan

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah. When you said "latest V1 version" you had us thinking you were talking the Gen2.

In a very simplistic manner; (for those that might not know)
Advanced Logic (big L) blocks alerts (both audio and visual) of signals the analyzer deems to be a low threat.

Logic (small L) does not block those low threat alerts and will show them visually. Also the audio alerts at the lower muted volume you have selected. (Outer ring on a V1 Gen1)
That outer ring or muted volume is always a percentage of what the main volume is set to.

All bogeys shows all alerts at full volume. You can mute them manually or via an app to the muted volume you've selected.

To me, if I were dependent on audio cues, I'd want to run in Logic mode with my mute volume still barely audible. You can hear more than you are consciously aware of and it can give you a more complete picture of the threats. :)

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I believe the reason that they recommend Logic mode is because Advanced Logic will sometimes alert to a signal and other times it'll filter it out. Shopping center door openers are a good example. It may be able to filter them out as you approach and park, but when you get back in your car and resume driving, the V1 Gen2 will alert to it. This can cause weird things for V1Driver when it sees a signal is sometimes there and sometimes not, potentially messing up the learning and unlearning process for lockouts.

So the idea would be that you'd always want the signal there so that V1Driver can handle the muting for you.

There may be to it than that and I'm sure @mswlogo can go into more detail. :)
The only difference between Advanced Logic and Logic mode is that that when V1 is “unsure” to alert you it can either Mute it or Block it completely.

By only allowing “mute” in Logic mode, V1Driver is aware of it before V1 audibly alerts. And V1Driver can mute it, in advance if V1Driver determines its safe to do so. So that when the V1 is sure to alert you won’t hear it, because V1Driver already knows your below savvy or gpsLocked it. If you use Advanced when V1 is unsure you get nothing and V1Driver knows nothing. Then V1 becomes sure and Audibly and Visually simultaneously. Now by the time V1Driver gets that, determines its false and issues a mute you will hear a beep for about 1 second. Which I find annoying, because it will do that on EVERY K alert. So Advanced ends up noisier.

Radar coming and going won’t confuse V1Driver.

This subtle behavior is exactly how K-mute worked on V1gen1. Now it’s behavior is implied between Advanced and non Advanced. You have less things users can set wrong.

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
More great info. Many thanks.

-dan

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
cockpit.jpg

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok good answer mswlogo. Now I will plan to run in Logic (l) mode so V1 Driver can learn properly and do its thing. Hopefully my Gen2 will ship soon and I can start setting everything up the way I want it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette