NY created photo blocking license plates

rdrlsr385

Learning to Drive
General User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
NY recalled some of their newly issued "Excelsior" license plates because it was discovered that some of the new plates were too reflective. I guess somebody in their revenue collection department made sure to test them against the red light and speed cameras to make sure they would be able to collect our hard earned $$$. This would have been a perfect solution to my defective NoPhoto device.

markxyz

PSL + whatever
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too funny. I've noticed too that NY also has a problem with the previous generation plates seeing the whole paint layer peeling away from the metal. Sometimes there's just a portion of it still hanging on, flapping away as they drive. Other times the paint is gone completely and it's just the silver metal with the raised portions very difficult to read. Ah NY. There's probably some symbolism there but I can't put my finger on it.

Euurx

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They actually went with these plates? I was actually liking the bright orange ones... I prefer the ones prior to the orange ones.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Damn, I had forgotten the yellow ones are no more... I too preferred the ones before those.

markxyz

PSL + whatever
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
They actually went with these plates? I was actually liking the bright orange ones... I prefer the ones prior to the orange ones.
That's the one I have. When the state pitched the new orange plates to get people to switch, I didn't go for it, cause I hated the way the orange ones looked. It's those orange ones though that have that peeling problem. I saw another one again just yesterday while on the thruway. That's probably what prompted the switch, again. I must say, for a state that doesn't allow license plate covers because it obscures the plate, those peeling orange plates were a nice option. 🙂

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Those Empire and Empire Gold plates were designed to fail after a certain amount of time. The quality of the coatings and application process were reduced back around 2006 or so, not to really save costs, but to decrease the life of the plate. The costs are pretty low to begin with as labor is low.

Each time the state does a reissue they raise millions of dollars with new plates. When NYS tried to roll out the new plates to get more revenue for the DMV and Corrections, people had a fit and the governor backed off requiring everyone to get new plates at $25 a pop. So just new registrations and anyone who wants to pay can get the new ones.

The only portion that is painted are the numbers/letters for regular plates. The rest of the plate is a coating made by 3m, with the embedded state logos you can see at angles.

When the regular plates come off the Aluminum roll at Auburn correctional they have the 3m coating applied, then the numbers/letters are stamped in. There are a few gentlemen there with rollers that only paint the raised letters and numbers. If you look at custom/college/sports plates, you will notice the letters and numbers are not raised. The letters for those are embedded in the 3m coating with a printer and they are made on a seperate machine. The worker at the correctional facility are allowed to make their own plates and put them on their lockers, some of them are quite interesting.

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theodore1972