Another V1 Driver Question For Newbie

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to receive my new Gen2 but I'm reading as much as I can here and other places to try to get educated. I never used the V1 Driver App with my Gen1 Detector which I sold on eBay before I knew how long it was going to take to receive the Gen2.
I read in one of the threads that I should not have V1 Driver app and the V1 Connect app running at the same time. Should I just not download the V1 Connect App at all? Just connect the V1 Driver app? Is there anything the V1 Connect App does that V1 Driver can't duplicate? What about downloading any software/firmware upgrades in the future?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to receive my new Gen2 but I'm reading as much as I can here and other places to try to get educated. I never used the V1 Driver App with my Gen1 Detector which I sold on eBay before I knew how long it was going to take to receive the Gen2.
I read in one of the threads that I should not have V1 Driver app and the V1 Connect app running at the same time. Should I just not download the V1 Connect App at all? Just connect the V1 Driver app? Is there anything the V1 Connect App does that V1 Driver can't duplicate? What about downloading any software/firmware upgrades in the future?
People will correct me if I am wrong, but V1 driver cannot edit/create/push profiles to the V1/2. Therefore you need the stock V1 connect app if you want to customise your valentine. I don't think there is any official news about updates yet, but if I recall in Vortex's video/phonecall with Mike V there was going to be a separate app for updates.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Right, you'll want both apps. V1connection will help you do your programming initially and then V1Driver is the app you'll want to run while driving to add additional false alert filtering.

You're right that you can't run two apps at a time. V1Driver does a fantastic job automatically reconnecting in the background so if you ever need to go back to V1connection to change settings, just disconnect V1Driver first and then fire it back up once you're done with reprogramming.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok Vortex I think I understand. But doesn't the Gen2 automatically look for the V1 Connection App when it is fired up in the car? So I just close the V1 Connection App on my iphone after initial programming and then open V1 Driver and set it up in my iphone settings to always be running in the background? Hopefully all of this will be covered in your upcoming video which I'm really looking forward to viewing.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok Vortex I think I understand. But doesn't the Gen2 automatically look for the V1 Connection App when it is fired up in the car? So I just close the V1 Connection App on my iphone after initial programming and then open V1 Driver and set it up in my iphone settings to always be running in the background? Hopefully all of this will be covered in your upcoming video which I'm really looking forward to viewing.
Right which is why you close V1connection to ensure it doesn't try to reconnect in the background. In my experience, it's more about stopping V1Driver because it's much more determined to reconnect in the background every time you get in the car though.

That said, I mentioned it in a previous video (starting at 16:10) if you'd like to see the force close technique for V1connection on iOS.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Perfect!! That explained it completely.

I Just watched your entire interview video with Mike Valentine a second time. Interestingly when the mention about using a separate app for updates was discussed it seemed implied they would not charge for it, but the second discussion later in the video did seem to leave that option open.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
It’s pretty safe to have both applications installed. The V1 Connect App will disconnect when it’s not in foreground unless you enable it’s background option. So as long as background is Off it’s hard to have a conflict.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you both for your succinct answers. I have read through the instructions you (Vortex) put up on your site for the initial programming of the V1Gen2 using the V1Connection App. I will set up two versions; one with K band off completely and the other with K band up but using little l mode. For the version with K Band off, should I run in A (All Bogeys) mode or asking another way, does the logic (l) or Advanced Logic (L) modes have any impact on Ka band? Is there any built in anti-falsing for Ka band?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The logic modes are solely for X and K band and have no impact on Ka. Unlike the Gen1, there are no performance or filtering options for Ka.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok so if I'm not really worried much about K band (I live in Northern CA) then I should probably just run in Advanced Logic (L) mode all the time and my Ka range/sensitivity won't be impacted at all, correct?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette