Radenso Video: What is a SDR and why does it matter for Radenso Theia?

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel and enable notifications so you get instant alerts anytime a new video is uploaded!

--

Jon discusses what is a software defined radio (SDR) and why it matters for the Radenso Theia.

Want to be the first to pre-order Theia? Sign up for the mailing list here: https://radenso.com/products/radenso-theia

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/radensoradar
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/radenso
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/radensoradar
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/radensoradar
Radenso Podcast - http://podcast.radenso.com

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
IN!
Finally! Haha

thanks.
(watching)

I’m anticipating a high quality product based on that it’s not just about the biggest and baddest or fastest. But purpose built and not out together haphazardly.
thanks for this and hopefully y’all can resume production/ testing soon

separately I keep getting distracted by the one black spec of dirt when you zoom in on the pieces haha
Lens wipe!

Last edited:

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You've got some talented engineers. The board looks great and the hype is continuing to build! I'm sure you guys are familiar with the HackRF One device. I could see someone trying to do similar stuff on the Theia platform in the future.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
You've got some talented engineers. The board looks great and the hype is continuing to build! I'm sure you guys are familiar with the HackRF One device. I could see someone trying to do similar stuff on the Theia platform in the future.
For sure, we specifically wanted to enable people to be able to hack the platform. We will probably sell the motherboard and digitizer separately for hackers as a standalone software defined radio. It is really an incredibly powerful SDR with a FPGA attached. Not much else like it in the SDR market under $5k.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
“Solder a resistor” RE: warranty ?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
For sure, we specifically wanted to enable people to be able to hack the platform. We will probably sell the motherboard and digitizer separately for hackers as a standalone software defined radio. It is really an incredibly powerful SDR with a FPGA attached. Not much else like it in the SDR market under $5k.
So do you plan on using that for another potential side revenue stream? It seems like people in other areas may want to buy it for it's hackability if it's ultimately priced below other SDRs but just as good. Might be a cool way to increase profit/drive prices down.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
So do you plan on using that for another potential side revenue stream? It seems like people in other areas may want to buy it for it's hackability if it's ultimately priced below other SDRs but just as good. Might be a cool way to increase profit/drive prices down.
I don't think we will sell enough to make it worthwhile as another revenue stream. It's more of a passion project type thing. I doubt we will ever sell even a few hundred standalones.
Post automatically merged:

“Solder a resistor” RE: warranty ?
Anyone who knows how to hook up an ipex connector and inject a signal will have no problem soldering a resistor. I'd still cover it under warranty.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Imagine using this hardware to build your own Theia. Like the old Heathkit electronics kits.
It is 100% possible to hook up your own RF front end to it. If you want you could take a massive KA band antenna and some insane LNA and mixer front end and pipe it into the digitizer. Wouldn't be very practical to drive around with it, but 100% possible. Just have to make sure that the output power of the IF isn't higher than the max input on the digitizer so you don't blow it up. I anticipate us publishing those specs.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Very cool stuff. Can't wait to have one of these bad boys on the windshield.

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Very cool stuff. Can't wait to have one of these bad boys on the windshield.
I have a feeling Theia will spend just as much time on my computer desk being tinkered with as it will on my windshield :D

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you use LabVIEW for SDR or FPGA programming by any chance?

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This shits gonna be pretty expensive from what I took away from the video... I’m optimistic you might hit my top number I want to spend but I’m not entirely sure it’s in the cards the way I see it...

You’re more or less designing a communications radio and lobbing detector features on it than building a detector so to speak...

Last edited:

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This shits gonna be pretty expensive from what I took away from the video.
Which is what everyone from Radenso has been saying, it will be expensive, for months. No surprise there.

You’re more or less designing a communications radio and lobbing detector features on it than building a detector so to speak...
Yeah, that's it, so to speak.
:bang::bang::bang:

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Well, that's basically what a SDR is. The concept of a "radar detector" doesn't really apply anymore other than what it's being used for. It could also be a wifi detector, for example.

We have built an extremely high performance communications radio with flexible, modular DSP and attached a linux computer to it. Then we put a purpose built RF microwave receiver onto the front of it. We will be using it for a radar detector and there are aspects of the Digitizer SDR that are specifically customized to increase radar performance vs something like Wifi (for example, the passband chosen for the filters). But it doesn't have to be used as a radar detector.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This shits gonna be pretty expensive from what I took away from the video... I’m optimistic you might hit my top number I want to spend but I’m not entirely sure it’s in the cards the way I see it...

It's probably $350+ in parts alone, let alone manufacturing, R&D and profit margin. The FPGA and ADC are like $150 for just those two chips.
Definitely coming in north of most options.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
It's probably $350+ in parts alone, let alone manufacturing, R&D and profit margin. The FPGA and ADC are like $150 for just those two chips.
Definitely coming in north of most options.
About $100 for those two. We do get some quantity discount on the FPGA but nothing on the ADC.

The parts for Theia are absolutely top notch and very expensive, as I've said for a while. This is not a detector for everyone, it's a genuine attempt by us to move the game forward in a giant leap instead of small steps.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cobber