V1G2 with JBV1 question.

wgmontgomery

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's my opinion that a dedicated iPhone user (that sees JBV1 as simply an extension of a V1) is going to get frustrated with the Android differences so I don't personally recommend it.
I was a dedicated iPhone user for years; I switched to an Android phone because of the larger screen size vs iPhones offered by my provider. I am SO SO happy that I did. It's kind of serendipitous as a year or two after switching I found out about JBV1.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Now that I bit the bullet and purchased a V1G2 - can someone please "school me" on JBV1. I'm an iPhone user (already got V1 Driver) but I'm considering purchasing an Android phone and pairing it with my V1G2 if it really makes it that much better than iOS w/ V1 Driver.

I'd say spend some time in the JBV1 forum and see if the features are of use to you. Things like PAWS, built in camera database, user marks or even CSA's in the one package.
Having used JBV1 since the beginning it's a no brainer for me.
If your cell provider has some sort of data sharing or a cheap data plan for the dedicated phone alone, that makes it easier still, not having to bother with hotspotting.
But, as Bloovy, said, if you want things kept simple with lockouts etc it may pay to stay with iOS.

springer1981

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Now that I bit the bullet and purchased a V1G2 - can someone please "school me" on JBV1. I'm an iPhone user (already got V1 Driver) but I'm considering purchasing an Android phone and pairing it with my V1G2 if it really makes it that much better than iOS w/ V1 Driver.

I've read the description for JBV1 on the Google Play Store but I'm still wondering about the following:

Does JBV1 offer any Navigation? I know it uses Waze's crowd sourcing for alerts but if I want to use Waze-like navigation - does JBV1 have that built-in?

How much different is JBV1 from V1 Driver? Would it be worth getting an Android phone JUST for JBV1 if I already have V1 Driver for my iPhone (which I will never give up BTW, lol).

Looking for some suggestions from members who have used one or the other or BOTH with their V1G2. Thanks in advance.

I purchased a Lenovo M7 tablet. It's a 7" screen. I stripped any Apps I don't need. I installed JBV1 and Waze. I connected it to my hotspot wifi for internet for Waze. The tablet cost $60 new from Lenovo's website. I am close to replacing my GPS with it. I'm really liking. Here's a picture. Since this was taken I changed the font size and display resolution to make it all larger. I've used it for navigation as well and all is good.

148212.jpg

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I highly recommend dark themes. It will match the dash better. :)
Post automatically merged:

Taken from an article I found:

"We use the GPS Test application to examine how well the Lenovo Tab M7 does when it comes to geolocation. The Lenovo tablet supports the following geolocation systems: GPS and SBAS. Outdoors, our review device has a margin of error of up to three metres. Indoors, the Tab M7 fails to connect to the satellites.

In order to determine how accurate our review device is when it comes to geolocation, we take it with us on a bike ride. On this bike ride we are also accompanied by the professional navigator Garmin Edge 500. The Tab M7 recorded the route that we took quite accurately. The tablet only had trouble keeping up with the Garmin Edge 500 at sharp turns, which is where the larger deviations come from.
"

Looks pretty decent for JBV1 and Waze. :)

Last edited:

springer1981

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I highly recommend dark themes. It will match the dash better. :)

I've tried the dark theme but I find it difficult to follow the roads at a glance. I have to stare longer at the screen and that's not great while I'm also trying to drive. If they had the dark theme with the colored roads it would be great. The only thing I don't like about the map in Waze is there are no highway crossovers shown. My Garmin shows the crossovers and that has saved me more times than my V1 from a ticket.

I'll also note that I use an Android phone but rely on it too much as a phone and didn't want it interfering with JBV1 and Waze.

EDIT: the only thing so far I don't like about the M7 is the gloss screen. I have an anti-glare screen protector on order that should resolve that.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ah. Yeah, if you aren't navigating, the roads aren't colored. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karamany