R7 price fluctuation / Introduction

CarreraJim

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello Uniden community,

As I posted in a separate thread, I placed an order today for my Uniden R7 to replace my K40 RSL2 (wish I had my money back from that). Looking forward to reading the threads in this forum to get acquainted with my new RD.

I also wanted to point out an interesting trend on Amazon. I bought my RD from Uniden, but through Prime. I paid $408.XX. Last week, the price was as high as $435, but has been fluctuating generally downward, with random jumps upward. As of right now, it is $406. It seems to be moving every hour or so. Anyone have any idea why this is? Just interesting.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
The market in general is one where not many people are focused on things that are not “essential” as covid continues. Separately the new valentine came out although I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s taking customers from one to the other , but rather for Uniden , maybe it’s meant to be more of an appeal at 100$ less for top level performance.
Also uniden product prices tend to fluctuate as does amazon on top of that

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've seen and taken advantage of weird Amazon prices. I was looking for Water Temp gauges and found one that sells for over $200 being sold for $82.
I ordered then realized I ordered the wrong one then cancelled. Immediately after cancelling the price shot up to over $200.
I ordered the correct one @ $82 and immediately after....the price went up to over $200 again.
It was WEIRD!
I also bought a Transmission Temp gauge everything happened exactly the same as the Water Temp gauge purchase.
Screenshot_2020-05-05-17-46-24.jpg

Sent from my

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting. When I look this morning at camel camel:
It’s ya the lowest r7 price was 406.60 eight hours ago. And otherwise was 419.98 four hours ago.
I checked yesterday when I relied to the thread and even this morning the lowest I’ve seen is 439.53

I don’t get it , where are these prices they mention (I’ve checked under other sellers etc)

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazon can aggregate private sellers that are selling 1 unit for a low price to move it. That lowest price can be the lead price on the site which camelcamelcamel will grab when it sweeps the site and display that for a time.

Once that one unit is gone, the price jumps to whatever the next lowest is.

In @Ropchips water temp gauge example, there might have been a small seller trying to move a bin of one-off gauges they had lying around for cheap and when he bought the one, it took the lowest price item off the list and bumped up to that next lowest supplier price. The return/cancellation would have to be processed by the system before that unwanted gauge could possibly be posted for the low price again, which likely won't be instantaneous.

CarreraJim

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks, both. Never heard of camelcamelcamel before. The seller on amazon was listed as Uniden, and the price has jumped back up to $439 today.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, both. Never heard of camelcamelcamel before. The seller on amazon was listed as Uniden, and the price has jumped back up to $439 today.
Maybe uniden was moving extra stock that's been sitting. Sucks that they undercut their resellers if that's the case.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
So I’ve been watching these this last week on amazon.
the prices love to drop by 10 dollars or so in the evenings.
listed now for 439.
all week they would dip to 429 (check around midnight or 4am) and then last night (Saturday) was the lowest this week: 423 I think and 425 before that.
these are from 3rd party sellers but if you click in the other sellers area there are ones from amazon who will price it at 0.02c more which is a no brainer as the one to choose given the easier return process and no restocking fee and likely the 2020 serial numbers

Last edited:

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Amazon has been known to price their items based on the buyer's location (e.g. high house prices zip code suggesting more money to spend) and history of the buyer.

I once made an Amazon purchase that I cancelled immediately as I needed to add another item to the order for the free shipping on. The existing item was now repriced much higher within minutes of my initial purchase.

Amazon was the seller, not a third party, and when I contacted Amazon they adjusted the price for me, but couldn't explain why the pricing changed so much.

Interesting... :shifty:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Amazon has been known to price their items based on the buyer's location (e.g. high house prices zip code suggesting more money to spend) and history of the buyer.

I once made an Amazon purchase that I cancelled immediately as I needed to add another item to the order for the free shipping on. The existing item was now repriced much higher within minutes of my initial purchase.

Amazon was the seller, not a third party, and when I contacted Amazon they adjusted the price for me, but couldn't explain why the pricing changed so much.

Interesting... :shifty:
Companies will price discriminate whenever they can legally do so. It's a way to get a few more dollars out of each sale overall.

lageass

Vendor
Beginner User
Vendor
Reaction score
I'm also confused about this. I think Uniden will replace R7 with R9, and will soon stop production of R7. But recently, they are still producing R7, and the retail price is confusing. I have been selling Uniden in China for six years. I am not an agent. Uniden is not interested in China. My purchase price is even higher than the retail price. I am going to stop selling the R7

SilenceDogoodNinja

driven by data
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm also confused about this. I think Uniden will replace R7 with R9, and will soon stop production of R7. But recently, they are still producing R7, and the retail price is confusing. I have been selling Uniden in China for six years. I am not an agent. Uniden is not interested in China. My purchase price is even higher than the retail price. I am going to stop selling the R7
The R9 isn't a windshield mount, but rather a custom install (hidden). Not sure why the price is all over the place but R9 isn't a direct replacement for the R7, but rather a different product.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
@lageass Uniden r9 is basically “netradar “ outside mount from Uniden if I understand correctly.
the r7 is still their top of the line windshield detector, although probably doesn’t sell as much volume as the r1/r3
But for serious people the r7 is in their list of best detectors. I wouldn’t stop selling it. But you know your situation and market better than i(we) stateside do
Plus who knows if the r9 will even be Released? The new valentine just came out , and Theia is on the horizon, they kinda missed their chance unless it comes tomorrow (even then may be too late for most ) For the price/cost of an r9 , why would you get an r9?

Last edited:

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Price will begin to stabilize as Uniden is getting rid of many unauthorized dealers by cleaning up the dealer network. Those dumping them cheap are most likely the dealers cut off and getting rid of their inventory. Amazon Price has gradually gone up as unauthorized dealers have run out of inventory.
Post automatically merged:

R7 is not going anywhere and there are no plans to replace it. The R1 & R3 will eventually be replaced later this year but R7 will stay their flagship model. R9 (Remote Unit) might not even come to the market. Not every product a manufacture designs comes to the market.

Last edited:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
R7 is not going anywhere and there are no plans to replace it. The R1 & R3 will eventually be replaced later this year but R7 will stay their flagship model.
Interesting. Since the range is already very similar betwen the R1/R3 and R7, it seems like a significant improvement in sensitivity for the new replacements (R2/R4?) would render the range better than the R7 in which case it would be hard to claim the R7 is the flagship. So perhaps it will be more of a repackaging with new and improved features (similar to the DFR6/7-DFR8/9 transition) rather than a full redesign.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Interesting. Since the range is already very similar betwen the R1/R3 and R7, it seems like a significant improvement in sensitivity for the new replacements (R2/R4?) would render the range better than the R7 in which case it would be hard to claim the R7 is the flagship. So perhaps it will be more of a repackaging with new and improved features (similar to the DFR6/7-DFR8/9 transition) rather than a full redesign.
There is not going to a performance change. Just Crystal changes to let the units scan lower.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

lageass

Vendor
Beginner User
Vendor
Reaction score
There is not going to a performance change. Just Crystal changes to let the units scan lower.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
At present, the R7 is priced from $400 to $449. If the R7 is not replaced, what will the R2 / R4 price be? 200 dollars, 300 dollars. It seems unlikely. Even at $300, R4 will not compete with R7 and will not be as popular as dfr9

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
At present, the R7 is priced from $400 to $449. If the R7 is not replaced, what will the R2 / R4 price be? 200 dollars, 300 dollars. It seems unlikely. Even at $300, R4 will not compete with R7 and will not be as popular as dfr9
R7 will go back to $499 and hold once they limit it to only maybe 7 trusted dealers. The R1 & R3 replacements will also be monitored heavily and prices will become stable in a few months.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mclovin21