TXCTG – V1G2 vs R7 Ka 34.7 and K-band - Van Alstyne – 05-02-2020

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
INTRO

So given that Texas has “re-opened,” I decided to do some more testing of the V1G2 vs. R7 while I had some time yesterday afternoon. When I do testing by myself, I pretty much have to use my two battery-powered handheld units to minimize the likelihood of someone walking off with my radar equipment. I wanted to test both detectors against my Stalker ATR on 34.7, and I also wanted to test K in A Mode on the V1G2 vs. Adv K=40% on the R7 since based on what little testing we’ve seen so far, it seems like that may be about the equivalent K-band sensitivities between the two.

EDIT: BTW, disregard the time stamp on my dashcam, I haven't reset it since it died when I didn't drive enough (it's got a capacitor, not a battery).

THE DETECTORS

V1G2 – (fw 41018) – A mode and L mode, KV on, X-Band off. No CF.
R7 – (fw 12129.129.113) – Avd Mode, Ka=100%, Ka narrow, K=40%, K wide, KF on, TSF on, K Block on, MRCD off, X-Band off. Also City mode.

THE RADAR GUNS

Stalker ATR
Bushnell Velocity

Guns were placed on the top of a post in front of a telephone pole. Stalker was angled probably 45-50 degrees across the road. Bushnell was probably more like 20-25 degrees across the road. For those that like to know the kill zone, I don’t know since I didn’t want to stand in the weeds (and potentially chiggers) trying to see the back end of the guns that were probably two feet over my head. But I’m sure they were very short.

Gun placement

Radar gun placement.jpg

Radar gun placement 02.jpg

THE COURSE

Well, you seen it before, it’s the Van Alstyne course in Van Alstyne, TX. Just over 3 miles long, straight, with some hills and valleys. Four detection zones and three dead zones.

Van Alstyne Course 01.jpg

Video Run-through of the Course (V1G2 vs Ka 34.7)

RESULTS

I’m not going to be doing graphs as well as tables because the results are close enough that it wouldn’t make much sense. So just tables this time.

Ka 34.7

Ka Results.jpg

Commentary Ka 34.7
  • Interestingly enough, contrary to TXCTG’s first 34.7 test of the V1G2 and R7, the V1G2 came out on top in yesterday’s testing. Not by a lot, but it turned the tables from the last test.
  • Impossible to say for sure, but it could have been by a larger margin as the V1G2 basically maxed out the course, while the R7 did not.
  • As mentioned above, there are 4 detection zones on the course. On the last run of each detector for 34.7, I ran a full run and checked the length of the detections at the start of each detection zone. The V1G2 actually alerted before the R7 in each zone. Pretty nicely consistent.
    • Second detection zone: V1G2 3730 meters – R7 3648 meters
    • Third detection zone: V1G2 2760 meters – R7 2686 meters
    • Final detection zone: V1G2 1072 meters – R7 1002 meters
K-Band

TXCTG - K-Band Results Van Alstyne 05-02-2020.jpg

Commentary K-Band

• Based on previous testing, I was pretty sure that it would take about K=40% on the R7 to equal A Mode on the V1G2 when it comes to K-band. And it looks about right based on this test.
  • I also did some testing of the V1G2 in Advanced Logic mode vs. the R7 in City mode, but I’m not going to post the numbers since I don’t know the Kill Zone for K-band.
    • I will say the R7 in City mode did beat the V1G2 in Advanced Logic mode.
    • That said, this course can also cause some numbers that look wonky because, for instance, if a detector doesn’t alert in the 3rd detection zone, there’s quite a dead zone before the final detection zone. That can cause results that look worse than they might otherwise be.
    • Given Mike V’s stated intent with Advanced Logic Mode (safety burn-through), I think we may need to test V1G2 Advanced Logic mode vs. R7 City mode in situations where the kill zone is known to get some better context for the results.

FINAL THOUGHTS

It was good to get some more data points for V1G2 vs. R7. In this case, the V1G2 was ahead of the R7 on 34.7, which was not the case in TXCTG’s initial test in Waco. So that’s interesting to see (and is consistent with my admonishment below). The K-band results for K=40% seems to be consistent with previous testing (i.e., R7 with K=30% is not quite as sensitive as A mode on the V1G2). So that’s good to see.

I think we need figure out how to best test the V1G2 in Advanced Logic mode.

I will end with my usual admonishment: This is just one test. Don’t base your opinion of a detector on just one test. You need to look at various tests, by various people, at various times, on various courses to try to get to a complete picture of a detector. So make sure to look at as many tests as you can, and find out as much information as you can so you can make an informed opinion about a detector.

Last edited:

NorEaster18

"No more government subsidies for active basses."
Advanced User
Reaction score
Excellent testing as always man! I always enjoy getting to see your work!

The K band results are definitely interesting. 40% on the R7 matching the A mode on the V1G2 is very fascinating. Seems to indicate raw sensitivity on the R7 might be better. But I wonder how they would compare in day-to-day use for falses and detections set like that (40% K Band on the R7), since we know that even though you can open up the R7 more, it gets chatty quickly,

Regardless, the more testing that comes in, it seems like for the most part, the two detectors are extremely comparable. It really comes down to what feature set you like more :)

rvacs

Scanning da Road
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I am starting to get used to the ULTRA range of the V1gen2 - took some time...but my city only using Ka so turned off K and its running like a charm.

Thanks for the report. You guys always do great tests !! Glad I bought then new V1Gen2.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good job ole buddy! The new V1 is something else. The R7 still not to shabby. Thanks for sharing.

Elcid2015

Late for my own funeral
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the test results! Still seems like the V1g2 hits that sweet spot in the market of people who don't really see that much K band or MRCD but are sick and tired of K band falses. It brings great Ka band performance which is 99% of what I encounter.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Excellent testing as always man! I always enjoy getting to see your work!

The K band results are definitely interesting. 40% on the R7 matching the A mode on the V1G2 is very fascinating. Seems to indicate raw sensitivity on the R7 might be better. But I wonder how they would compare in day-to-day use for falses and detections set like that (40% K Band on the R7), since we know that even though you can open up the R7 more, it gets chatty quickly,

Regardless, the more testing that comes in, it seems like for the most part, the two detectors are extremely comparable. It really comes down to what feature set you like more :)

Full K-band sensitiviy on the R7 is clearly better than the V1G2. That said, can one live with the BSM falses on the R7 that it entails. At 40% K on the R7, I do think the V1G2 is quieter to BSM. Hard to say how much quieter, since BSM testing is difficult to do.

I do think that they are pretty comparable on Ka, with the V1G2 being a bit more sensitive on 35.5 and maybe also 34.7. 33.8 seems to be better on the R7 so far, but more testing is needed to confirm that.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great testing my friend, just like always! Just a few minutes ago I set my V1G2 and one of my R1's up for some I/O Q/T bench testing against 35.5 and while the V1G2 is lightning fast, the ramp isn't even close to the R1. I didn't really notice this the last time I tested them but damn, this really does need to be fixed! The R1 is pegged instantly no matter how fast the Q/T shot is! The V1 is just as fast or even a hair quicker and NEVER misses a shot but the ramp takes a couple of seconds to catch up. I'm so used to reacting on the first blip of any type of alert because of all the I/O I get hit with that I hadn't really noticed this lag till you guys brought it up but it does suck!

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am starting to get used to the ULTRA range of the V1gen2 - took some time...but my city only using Ka so turned off K and its running like a charm.

Thanks for the report. You guys always do great tests !! Glad I bought then new V1Gen2.

If you can turn off K-band, that surely helps with any detector. You could probably run the V1G2 in advanced logic mode and it would be almost as quiet, especially if you are running JBV1.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing!!!! Really good results. Seems like they are pretty much equal in terms of sensitivity on 34.7 KA but that V1G2 scan speed gives it the edge.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good job ole buddy! The new V1 is something else. The R7 still not to shabby. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks @milkman. The R7 is still a very good detector, depending on what one is looking for in a detector (esp. running with an app vs. running w/o one).

Elcid2015

Late for my own funeral
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great testing my friend, just like always! Just a few minutes ago I set my V1G2 and one of my R1's up for some I/O Q/T bench testing and while the V1G2 is lightning fast, the ramp isn't even close to the R1. I didn't really notice this the last time I tested them but damn, this really does need to be fixed! The R1 is pegged instantly no matter how fast the Q/T shot is! The V1 is just as fast or even a hair quicker and NEVER misses a shot but the ramp takes a couple of seconds to catch up. I'm so used to reacting on the first blip of any type of alert because of all the I/O I get hit with that I had't really noticed this lag till you guys brought it up but it does suck!
Yes, I noticed that on my V1G2 at the bench with 35.5 as well! The lazy reactivity to I/O should certainly be addressed by Valentine.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing!!!! Really good results. Seems like they are pretty much equal in terms of sensitivity on 34.7 KA but that V1G2 scan speed gives it the edge.

I meant to mention that in my write-up. I do think the scan speed of the V1G2 does give it a bit of an an edge on Ka.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Brainstorm69

Great testing as usual.

Must feel good to get out of the house.
Yeah, it does. I'm just glad I didn't seem to get any chigger bites wading through the weeds to get to that post to put the radar guns on...lol.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great testing my friend, just like always! Just a few minutes ago I set my V1G2 and one of my R1's up for some I/O Q/T bench testing against 35.5 and while the V1G2 is lightning fast, the ramp isn't even close to the R1. I didn't really notice this the last time I tested them but damn, this really does need to be fixed! The R1 is pegged instantly no matter how fast the Q/T shot is! The V1 is just as fast or even a hair quicker and NEVER misses a shot but the ramp takes a couple of seconds to catch up. I'm so used to reacting on the first blip of any type of alert because of all the I/O I get hit with that I hadn't really noticed this lag till you guys brought it up but it does suck!

Thanks @Kennyc56. When are you and @VariableWave going to get some testing done and posted? I'm interested to see the results since both of you seem to have really hot V1G2s.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Very valuable testing, thank you for your efforts.
It is unfortunate that the V1 maxed out the course for 34.7 especially with the previous results putting the R7 ahead on 34.7.
If the given numbers didn't represent a maxed out course then the conflicting results would more easily suggest they're basically equal with the minor differences observed being due to variance. This just means we need more testing, but that is what RDF does anyway :tiphat:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jromjr