V1G2 doesn't like the heat of 80 degrees and sunlight.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't seen anything like that yet and mine lives in the car parked outside 24/7. We'll have to watch for that!

Is there any sense that there's a groove that the front surface is supposed to fit in?

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s glued on? I figured it would snap in there somehow.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
When Vortex had the button problem, it seemed strange to me that he'd be able to press the button in that far because I could not on mine.

It makes me wonder if that front part is supposed to be further in a channel all around or something.
If that new assembler didn't get it snapped in, but got it adhered to most of the frame, I can see this happening as well as what Vortex experienced.

Just some thoughts. :)

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My new V1G2 front sticker came off due to heat. I simply connected it back, but it is unfortunate that it's not better protected from heat because it going to get 20 degrees hotter soon.

My Old V1 was a tank.

View attachment 146364
oops. I assume you have not had yours apart.... wonder what it looks like under the purple filter strip. Like the old LED of G1? Or too ugly once the strip comes off?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It might pay to wait for more than one case.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
How was this reconnected? Snap in place?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They sure don’t build things like they used to...
Seriously... I mean I know the V1 Gen1 had its fair share of issues too that were eventually taken care of. Having 30 years to refine a product should certainly help iron out any issues. I guess we were all expecting the Gen2 to pick up where the Gen1 left off, but man these things are starting to have a lot of issues.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Looks like they didn't even test these things in a thermal chamber to simulate the types of conditions that they'd routinely be put through in the real world. AL had issues with heat and the ALP control pad in the first iteration too...required a change to components with higher heat tolerance (replaced mine free of charge). Symptom was that the ALP wouldn't start if my car was parked out in the sun on a hot day for a long time. It's nice that AL did the right thing but honestly, it shouldn't have even gotten to that point. And it seems like VR has the same issue now.

Torontonian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Maybe should send it back to them. Or email them this so they are aware of this issue. So by the time summer comes and the rest of us also have this issue. There will be a fix

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had this happen to mine two or three days after it was mounted. I pushed it back in place and thought afterward that I should have documented it.
Mine stays mounted 24/7 and in central FL we've many mid 80"s to low 90 degree days and it has not separated. In fact, I tried to see if it would separate and it wouldn't. It's disturbing but for now it's a non-issue to me.

This happened before the other issue surfaced or I would have been taking pictures

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
With the issues mounting, it makes you stop and think why they didn't take more time to release their product. They were already out of stock for a whole year. Not sure a few more months to get a product more refined would have made any difference (vs. putting their brand at risk)

I've called the V1 the toyota's of detectors in the past (generally - older technologically - but could always be trusted to get the job done)

I'm still a fan of the V1 for all that Mike has done (e.g. bringing us the arrows). Just wish they would have spent more cycles on the quality checks. Generally, some things that would have been great to do before shipping:
  • High humidity/temperature runs in a chamber
  • High Temperature along with strong bias cycling in a chamber (e.g. having the RD in an oven and cycling16V+ on/off/on/off)
doing this at some checkpoints (say 100hrs, 1000hrs, 2000hrs) then taking it out of the chamber, checking to see if the board still boots solid(and the plastics still fit okay) may have helped quell some of the issues.

in addition, having some sort of torque tool that is logging would have helped them ensure that all the screws were correctly torqued and nobody got a unit with loose screws.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Maybe Mike read to many forum posts about Valentine build quality and it affected his decision making on QC? Didn't someone on here do beta testing but was given a unit with new internals but the old display? Maybe only MV and a couple techs did the full assembled product Q.C. Just odd how so many issues have popped up in such a short time with it only actually for sale about a month with many people barely getting any drive time in.

This current "break" in sales is probably a plus for Valentine as they don't put out any more units and the first round buyers have effectively done the Q.C. that they should have been done before the production release.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef