Theia timeline

Sambeaux

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
How has covid impacted the development timeline? Are y'all still anticipating a 2020 Launch?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
How has covid impacted the development timeline? Are y'all still anticipating a 2020 Launch?
We lost a lot of time with Covid in the Feb/March period. A lot of places never re-opened from Chinese new year holiday which was insane. I would say now development is pretty much back at full steam, so as the guys above said - delayed compared to what I expected back at SEMA, but still 2020.

RadarSammich

I detect radar and radar accessories
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is the lockdown in Ohio lifted now?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Is the lockdown in Ohio lifted now?
Sort of. They are re-opening in stages throughout mach with mandatory requirements. It doesn't really impact development much right now because the majority of work left is software, which is easy to do at home for our engineers. We just got killed early in the pandemic when we needed to order parts and have circuit boards fabricated when everything was shut down.

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sort of. They are re-opening in stages throughout mach with mandatory requirements. It doesn't really impact development much right now because the majority of work left is software, which is easy to do at home for our engineers. We just got killed early in the pandemic when we needed to order parts and have circuit boards fabricated when everything was shut down.
Speaking of software, what might be the programming language(s) used in Theia open API (or radar detectors in general)?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Speaking of software, what might be the programming language(s) used in Theia open API (or radar detectors in general)?
The FPGA is done in Verilog, pretty much everything is is C/C++.

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
The FPGA is done in Verilog, pretty much everything is is C/C++.
Nice thanks. All embedded systems seem to be C++. Do you know is there a reason for that?

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
Because C is too limited and painful to be a better choice ;)
Yeah C++ is C with classes but I meant why it's almost always one of them in embedded systems? Just curious.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah C++ is C with classes but I meant why it's almost always one of them in embedded systems? Just curious.
For a proper answer you should really be asking versus some other choice, as everything in life has pros and cons. But if you really want to know, start here.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you mean to ask why is it a compiled language versus an interpreted language? C/++ vs. Python, Java, COBOL?

CarefulDriver

Wiping dust of R1
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you mean to ask why is it a compiled language versus an interpreted language? C/++ vs. Python, Java, COBOL?
Actually yes. Java, for example, is platform-independent due to JVM and has automatic memory management and everything so it would probably be my choice. But it's almost always compiled language like C++. I'm sure there is a good logic behind that decision. I would like to know it.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
C++ runs rings around python and java performance wise. It's a mature, powerful, ubiquitous language that has incredible documentation and is used virtually everywhere. A good programmer can really get the most out of the hardware with C++. My understanding is it lets us build a much more specifically tailored and higher performance code base for our hardware.

synistyr

I need more coffee
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If Theia does really well isuggest you guys move into a roomier building.

I hear this one in Ohio is now available!

IMG_2626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If Theia does really well isuggest you guys move into a roomier building.

I hear this one in Ohio is now available!

View attachment 146365

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why? (unless it costs less) if it does well, and they can keep overhead low. One would think they could pass savings along to a consumer.

bigger building, could mean more overhead . (and if they are able to get by well with fw engineering working from home now, then what do you expect to come of a bigger building?)

(unless you are thiking they are going to stock units local.. but even then... any sitting inventory = $)

anyways - dont want to be a topic diverter.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just relieved to hear that Theia development is back on track. I've never looked forward so much to a product release like this, ever. Can't wait to see independent testing results. Maybe late this summer?

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That is a pretty cool building. Could fit lots of radar stuffs in that picanic basket.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette