Strange Poliscan alerts

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I made a trip yesterday to do some grocery shopping. My route takes me on a 2 lane state highway through a Montana forest.
On my round trip, (150~ miles), I got 4-5 Poliscan alerts. One or two, I haven't looked at my ALP log, were in the town of Kalispell.
But the rest were in places that would have nothing to create an alert. In fact, I've driven this route 100's of times and don't remember
one Poliscan alert before. It had me very curious initially but when I arrived to my own 71 acre property I had a Poliscan alert there as
well, which I know is a false positive.

Is this a sign that my ALP CPU is going tits up?

System

PSL ÷ 2
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a poliscan in Kalispell and I frequent there quite often as well. You may have a failing head

Reactions: SVG

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it’s the CPU.
check the wiring to make sure nothign came loose while driving
But I have my bets on a sensor :

one time In the summer I had a sensor failure warning from The HiFi Bluetooth speaker. Then it went away.
a few months later the warning happened twice more but many many many falsesroads frequently traveled and worse in the rain.
when I took it to get swapped out they told me everything was fine and no errors but I got sick of the wailing siren alert for no reason and the false alerts. I asked them to change it out and have been happy and false alert free since .
Check these out :

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have a failing sensor then. Any tips on how to identify the culprit?

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks like I have a failing sensor then. Any tips on how to identify the culprit?
if it’s falling often (daily) then unplug one at a time and drive around (don’t speed). The day where you don’t hear any false alarms is the day where you’ve unplugged the faulty sensor.
I got lucky In that I remembered the error number and which it told me so I tried that one first and replaced and has been fine since.

let’s see if @BestRadarDetectors has extra advice for you

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
if it’s falling often (daily) then unplug one at a time and drive around (don’t speed). The day where you don’t hear any false alarms is the day where you’ve unplugged the faulty sensor.
I got lucky In that I remembered the error number and which it told me so I tried that one first and replaced and has been fine since.

Your solution is the only way to identify a failing sensor that has not yet completely failed. The LED color during the alert will indicator if its a front or rear sensor to help narrow down the side of car to check.

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tom. I do remember seeing the blue LED. Would that be front or rear?

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tom. I do remember seeing the blue LED. Would that be front or rear?
Neither... During an alert it will be Red (Front) or Yellow (Rear)

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got weird policescan alerts when one of my heads was going a while back. Have you had any startup issues, like random sensor check error failures only for it to correct itself later?

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
when you do find the culprit head open it up and inspect as it could be a case of just moisture in a head or heads.
Had one just recently poliscan falses ........the fault codes come later down the track but not consistant to falsing .. i cleaned up the head re sealed and good to go

AL really went backwards in sealng of there heads

IMG-4695.JPG

Last edited:

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks Doc.

I got weird policescan alerts when one of my heads was going a while back. Have you had any startup issues, like random sensor check error failures only for it to correct itself later?
Things started getting goofy on my last drive so I haven't noticed a pattern yet (I don't drive as much since being retired).

when you do find the culprit head open it up and inspect as it could be a case of just moisture in a head or heads.
Had one just recently poliscan falses ........the fault codes come later down the track but not consistant to falsing .. i cleaned up the head re sealed and good to go

View attachment 146752
What did you use to clean it?

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Things started getting goofy on my last drive so I haven't noticed a pattern yet (I don't drive as much since being retired).

What did you use to clean it?
small pick and some cotton buds got rid of the debri from the silicon of course allow time to to dry out

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I made the same drive yesterday as the earlier drive where I encountered a number of presumably false Poliscan alerts.
I did get one Poliscan alert on this drive @ the intersection of Hwy. 2 and Hwy. 93 in Kalispell, MT. This is a busy intersection and it would not be out of the question to have some sort of scanning device there.
I did pay attention the LED color during this alert. It was blue. I'm not sure if this was due to being below the defense MPH threshold or not. I took a screenshot during this alert but it doesn't show the red spider web alert symbol in the upper left corner of the screen. Tom, @BestRadarDetectors, can you make out anything from the details I've given?

D9E6513D-CE39-4E60-A165-73923F264286.png

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 146752
I sealed my RX heads with silicon when I bought them 5 years ago, and have had no problems. It took 1 minute and I highly recommend it as an ounce of prevention.

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I sealed my RX heads with silicon when I bought them 5 years ago, and have had no problems. It took 1 minute and I highly recommend it as an ounce of prevention.
i wish i did the same

i thought i wouldnt need to as my previuse G8 and G9 never had issiues

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
come to think about my AL G9 heads are still being used to this day as they still perform well against the poliscan ..it would be intresting to know how many ALP heads have failed since release of the ALP

dont know about you guys but im already on my 2nd cpu ... one head replaced one head drying out and resealed ever since purchasing the ALP .... i feel i have to compromise with it

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Those of you that sealed your heads with silicone, did you just run a bead on the outside or did you take it apart and coat it internally?

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I sealed mine with silicone externally, ultimately all of my old DIN heads from 2014 failed even with the silicone, but they were used and one of them was not siliconed when I got it, the others were for the majority of thier life, I still seal the newer heads even though they are supposed to be better...

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Those of you that sealed your heads with silicone, did you just run a bead on the outside or did you take it apart and coat it internally?
scroll up the post # 10 you will see mine,,,,, notice how some of the old silcone hasnt bonded to the surface easier to clean i geuss .But from experiance applying sealant ontop of old sealant your only going to prolong the inevitable

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toma