Where To Mount???

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just curious where the best place to mount a TMG Dual set up and 1 VPR on a grill like this??? Also the same on the rear? Or whatever would be the best recommendations for a set up. Tons of stalker here and the odd DE. Lots of DE to the North of us but I rarely venture there. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20200501_090357.jpg
    20200501_090357.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 20200501_112814.jpg
    20200501_112814.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
maybe this?

1588354987144.png

1588355498266.png

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree with the placement however the front might need some adjustments, moving the heads up/down a slat or two, possibly further out. I'd suggest temporarily mounting them at first and get tested and adjust as needed to reduce PT's. That's of real estate to cover on the front, @Dodgediesel is there anyone near you with some lidars to test with?

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Move the green VPR up higher a slot or 2 in the front end pic above.
Do you think 1 head would be sufficient in the middle? Would there be a benefit or running 2 VPR 's in the center?

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I agree with the placement however the front might need some adjustments, moving the heads up/down a slat or two, possibly further out. I'd suggest temporarily mounting them at first and get tested and adjust as needed to reduce PT's. That's of real estate to cover on the front, @Dodgediesel is there anyone near you with some lidars to test with?
I don't know anyone with any guns but I'm sure I can find someone.

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you think 1 head would be sufficient in the middle? Would there be a benefit or running 2 VPR 's in the center?
Running two heads close together in many cases may cause a punch through "cross talk" scenario. However, in your case with a lot of frontal area you might be able to space the heads out sufficiently where this may not be an issue. I don't believe there has been much testing with dual VPR heads on one end and it could help in your case. A dual TMG/VPR head setup should provide adequate protection against most lidars short of DE's.

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Running two heads close together in many cases may cause a punch through "cross talk" scenario. However, in your case with a lot of frontal area you might be able to space the heads out sufficiently where this may not be an issue. I don't believe there has been much testing with dual VPR heads on one end and it could help in your case. A dual TMG/VPR head setup should provide adequate protection against most lidars short of DE's.
How would a 4 regular head up front pan out ya think?

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
Difficult to say on your vehicle since you have the luxury of having more space between the heads. It might be beneficial in your case due the large frontal area and chrome, large headlights. However, on a smaller vehicle (Ford Focus I believe) four heads did little better than two heads.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's going to come down to testing. Both @Jag42 and @asleeper have giving you very sound advice.

Now IIRC (and @Jag42 can correct me on this) the G1/G2 heads have roughly an 18" radius of coverage, so let that help you to select potential locations for the heads and then test, test and ...... test.

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Difficult to say on your vehicle since you have the luxury of having more space between the heads. It might be beneficial in your case due the large frontal area and chrome, large headlights. However, on a smaller vehicle (Ford Focus I believe) four heads did little better than two heads.
4 heads is a very untested setup. On @oktavf 's Kia Soul, 4 heads always produced jam codes on Dragoneye. This would be a massive issue in Canada.

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
4 heads is a very untested setup. On @oktavf 's Kia Soul, 4 heads always produced jam codes on Dragoneye. This would be a massive issue in Canada.
Correct, there hasn't been much testing on it but I believe hammerdown mounted four heads on a Focus and it produced jam codes on the DE as well. I'm not the sure TMG's algos have changed since then to address that issue but in many cases running four heads isn't going to be beneficial anyway. However, on a larger vehicle with the heads spaced further apart it could help with possibly less jam codes on the DE.

However, yes it hasn't been tested that much recently with the VPR heads no way to tell for sure.

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
Seems like four heads did better in this test although I'm surprised on larger vehicles where you have more space between them. @Phantom Z3 In fact, I would argue four is probably ideal for a large SUV/truck.

@Dodgediesel this thread has some good info regarding test results on larger vehicles.

Last edited:

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Seems like four heads did better in this test although I'm surprised on larger vehicles where you have more space between them. @Phantom Z3 In fact, I would argue four is probably ideal for a large SUV/truck.

@Dodgediesel this thread has some good info regarding test results on larger vehicles.
Thank you very much for that link!!!

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you to whomever moved my post to the proper place. I realized after I posted that it was in the wrong section. Ty.

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I will be going with a 4 head plus VPR upfront. The VPR is green and the G2 is red. Just wonder where I should install the additional G2 heads?

Attachments

• 20200830_215409.png
    20200830_215409.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For a quad head setup + VPR, I'd do something similar to this: