V1 Custom Bluetooth Remote Display

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My G2 has been back for a week from VR service. Is stable and rocking/rolling well. this weekend intend on updating your remote display and start using it. Love all the features you have added. Your are a code releasing hoss! Thanks @SquirrelMaster!

larrymz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Beta Update - Version: 2251ff1

This version:
- Adds support for powering off. *Note 1
- Adds battery charge indicators. *Note 2

Known Issues:
- The display WILL NOT shut off on low battery. This is not yet implemented so be warned that if you let your battery run flat and it doesn't have a built in protection circuit, it can be damaged.
- Higher than I would like current draw when powered off. Currently drawing about 7mA but should draw about 5uA. Have an issue with the onboard USB to serial converter chip not powering off.
- All-Threat display mode will show up in the preferences but if enabled causes weird shit. You may just get some lines on the display but no arrows or any other elements. This is an artifact from my development. Feature isn't ready yet so don't enable it.

Note0
I DO NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF A BATTERY WITH THIS DISPLAY. Using a battery, especially lipo/liion, is dangerous. If used improperly or left unattended, especially on the dash of a hot car, batteries can fail and lead to property damage or personal injury. I am not liable if you so chose to modify your board/display with a battery and something bad happens.

Note1
The board can now power off to save power when running on battery or when powering from an always-on plug.
You can configure one of the button actions to power the display off in the settings or just let it time out. Currently, if there is no connection to a V1, the display will shut off after 5 minutes.
To power it back on, either disconnect and reconnect the power cable or press Button 2.
If the V1 is in dark mode, the ReCD will turn the V1's display back on before shutting down.

Current usage
~ 170mA during normal state (V1 connected, high brightness)
~ 7.5mA during shut down state. Note that this will eventually get to be closer to ~5uA but I am running into an issue with the onboard usb serial chip not powering down.

Note2
Added battery level indicators. These need some tweaking to their values but for now should work. Green means good, red means low battery. It will also go from empty to fully filled in based on charge. Plugging in the display will remove the battery icon. It will only show if the display is running on battery.
View attachment 153196
View attachment 153195

Tagging @larrymz3 and @IcePick74 as you guys were the ones who wanted battery support.
Sweet! Thank you so much! Now I just need to find the case for sale somewhere!

Can you please add me to the beta channel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDrag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sweet! Thank you so much! Now I just need to find the case for sale somewhere!

Can you please add me to the beta channel?

This should work.

You’ll just need a 3rd party to print it for ya. 3 options for cases.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This should work.

You’ll just need a 3rd party to print it for ya. 3 options for cases.
I actually printed and have been using these (thin and medium) myself. I used the medium when I was playing with the battery. I just couldnt justify the risk of using and charging the battery, esp since this is 99% used in my DD and have no need to remove it on a daily basis...

IcePick74

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This should work.

That is the one I have. I printed the big one and am using the 1000ma battery from Amazon.

Updated and will test today.
thanks

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Working great so far thanks. Love the auto power off.
Glad to hear it. Got one more update/hotfix for you battery guys. @larrymz3 you as well.
This doesn't add anything else except optimize power usage so probably not worthwile for anyone not using a battery to update.

Current usage
~ 170mA during normal state (V1 connected, high brightness)
~ 7.5mA during shut down state. Note that this will eventually get to be closer to ~5uA but I am running into an issue with the onboard usb serial chip not powering down
This was bugging me and I ended up fixing it today. Latest beta update (318e2dc) now draws:
~ 140mA during normal operation
~ 0.18mA when powered down. Theoretically it can last 200+ days in standby mode on a 1000mAh battery lol.

IMG_20200709_152744__01.jpg

IMG_20200709_152756__01.jpg

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm convinced there isn't anything this forum cannot do.
I know, it's one thing I love about this place. We have some talent in design/fabrication, knowledgeable testers that keep manufacturers honest, and we have a desire to help each other stay safe on the roads regardless of our brand preferences. Hey, we're all on the same side.

woomaster

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is there an option to invert the display to use it as a HUD?

Qui-Gon

PSL +15
Advanced User
Reaction score
Damn, a day late and a dollar short. Hopefully there will be another batch soon?

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there an option to invert the display to use it as a HUD?

It's on my to-do list. No ETA

Damn, a day late and a dollar short. Hopefully there will be another batch soon?
Actually I have one last one that I can send you if you'd like it. PM me if interested.

Qui-Gon

PSL +15
Advanced User
Reaction score
PM sent!

larrymz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Has anyone hard wired or is everyone just plugging into usb?

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone hard wired or is everyone just plugging into usb?

@larrymz3 I mentioned it earlier See post #42 and #91 in this thread.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jreihsen