My R3 is dead, it stopped detecting all bands.

Driver66

Probably driving
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. I wonder if Uniden will tell you what the issue was.
Probably not. Had a Dfr7 I sent back about a year ago and they just exchanged it out, no descripion at all. Just a box with a working used, and I might add more beat up radar detector in it.
Sorry to read that! How long have you had it? Please keep us posted on what you find out. Hopefully they will tell you what's wrong with it. Not sure if they normally do that though.
I had it just about a year and a half, If they tell me anything I will be sure to post.
Uniden was good and fast at fixing my R3 speaker. Took may 1.5 to 2 weeks total. That was about 6 weeks ago.
If that thing comes back in 2 weeks I will be shocked, but very impressed!
My 1st R3 had an issue, my 2nd one stopped alerting to signals just as yours did - my 3rd one has been solid though. Luckily it all happened under their warranty periods. I have no complaints about their service either.
My R1 was probably about a year and half old when I sold it to @Kennyc56 and I hear his wife Jane is wearing that thing out as her ghetto arrow to this day! :p

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Probably not. had a Dfr7 i sent back about a year ago and they just exchanged it out, not descripion at all. Just a box with a working used, and I might add more beat up radar detector in it.

I had it just about a year and a half, If they tell me anything I will be sure to post.

If that thing comes back in 2 weeks I will be shocked, but very impressed!

My R1 was probably about a year and half old when I sold it to @Kennyc56 and I hear his wife Jane is wearing that thing out as her ghetto arrow to this day! :p
You're right, It's still kicking @ss in the back of Jane's car! It's running 2/5/8 only with no X or K band. I also run a different Ka alert tone so it's obvious when the rear alerts first. We both love all 5 of our R1's! I bought my first one new in Feb. 2018 and the other 4 right here on our forum. All 5 seem to be equal and testing them proves it! Since I don't give a damn about GPS functions in a radar detector, they suit me perfectly! Not one of them has any issues and they are all still on duty in different Mustangs! BTW, guess where we got the other R1 Jane is running in the front? Our own @johnboy00 sold it to us about a year ago and it's a killer as well!

Last edited:

aradarnut

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
Im on my 2nd R7, the first one had bad range so i took it back the same day, its been soild as a rock since except the display having some bleeding pixels. I went through about 2 R3s, sold both, second r3 i bought i had to exchange due to poor range, third one was strong. i dont run my r7 around town because it picks up cops on the other side of the town which i dont need except on the highways. Unidens have great range but the build quality is hit or miss.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Im on my 2nd R7, the first one had bad range so i took it back the same day, its been soild as a rock since except the display having some bleeding pixels. I went through about 2 R3s, sold both, second r3 i bought i had to exchange due to poor range, third one was strong. i dont run my r7 around town because it picks up cops on the other side of the town which i dont need except on the highways. Unidens have great range but the build quality is hit or miss.
Seems like G2, or ER, are not alone having QC issue. Your report might be minimized by the U-Fans. Since you are active user each day, likely many hours of use.... good idea of long term reliability. Thanks for the report! My Uniden products are lower hours, always mounted out of the sun (up high behind no radar reflective tint). So far, no hardware, FW defects. However, I believe that with U products I am operating on borrowed time. Who knows.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Seems like G2, or ER, are not alone having QC issue. Your report might be minimized by the U-Fans. Since you are active user each day, likely many hours of use.... good idea of long term reliability. Thanks for the report! My Uniden products are lower hours, always mounted out of the sun (up high behind no radar reflective tint). So far, no hardware, FW defects. However, I believe that with U products I am operating on borrowed time. Who knows.

Time will tell Dr. I run the R7 in dark mode so if it fails that would be really bad. I have had it a year now and no issues. Not making excuses but the R7 failures do not seem to be very common at all. Who knows 2 to 5 years down the road. Then again Radenso may get their new unit out so I may be onto that and never know.
Post automatically merged:

Time will tell Dr. I run the R7 in dark mode so if it fails that would be really bad. I have had it a year now and no issues. Not making excuses but the R7 failures do not seem to be very common at all. Who knows 2 to 5 years down the road. Then again Radenso may get their new unit out so I may be onto that and never know.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. There are models I am more fond of than others but whatever works best for me is what I will run regardless of who makes it.

Somehow messed up the edit:

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. There are models I am more fond of than others but whatever works best for me is what I will run regardless of who makes it.

Last edited:

Driver66

Probably driving
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My Uniden products are lower hours, always mounted out of the sun (up high behind no radar reflective tint).
This unit had lots of hours on it. But all mine always do. It's in my work car and I'm on the road all the time. I'm not a big fan of constantly moving the RD in and out of the car so it's in there all the time. It's mounted up high, as close to the headliner as I can get it and still operate the menu buttons. But it's in there day and night, hot and cold. We typically have a full range of seasons here in NJ. Winter is pretty cold and summer is pretty hot. I once put a thermometer in the car just to get an idea how hot it gets in there in the summer. On a 97 degree day in full sun the inside of the car got to 165. Typically I get 4 to 5 years out of a unit in these conditions, not this one. It was only a year and a half old. I do run it in dark mode with the backlight off too. It keeps attention to a minimum and prevents screen burn. Once it's in and setup the way I want it, I don't mess with them. It keeps the lens nice and the wear on buttons to a minimum. Taking it down and bringing it in would probably help for sure, but my logic has always been, they must be building them for these conditions, right? Maybe the hours and conditions did do this one in, or maybe it's flaky quality, unless somebody from Uniden wants to chime in with some insight I guess we'll never know....

DrHow

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Somehow messed up the edit:

Yea, have I have deep fondness for the R7. when I said lower hours, was comparing to someone like @RadarSammich who runs his days at at time. Also a preface that I have not has any issues my R3/R7. He gets much more use in a week than my R3 would in a month. My R3 was the first for me to give a close to nine mine warning on Ka out in NV couple years ago. One of those moonshot deals. Wrote about it somewhere in here. In the end, I feel like I a. on borrowed time before one of them gives out. Not being critical. RadarS report is a good indicator of accelerated “mean time between failure” so to speak due to his R3 heavy use.

This unit had lots of hours on it. But all mine always do. It's in my work car and I'm on the road all the time. I'm not a big fan of constantly moving the RD in and out of the car so it's in there all the time. It's mounted up high, as close to the headliner as I can get it and still operate the menu buttons. But it's in there day and night, hot and cold. We typically have a full range of seasons here in NJ. Winter is pretty cold and summer is pretty hot. I once put a thermometer in the car just to get an idea how hot it gets in there in the summer. On a 97 degree day in full sun the inside of the car got to 165. Typically I get 4 to 5 years out of a unit in these conditions, not this one. It was only a year and a half old. I do run it in dark mode with the backlight off too. It keeps attention to a minimum and prevents screen burn. Once it's in and setup the way I want it, I don't mess with them. It keeps the lens nice and the wear on buttons to a minimum. Taking it down and bringing it in would probably help for sure, but my logic has always been, they must be building them for these conditions, right? Maybe the hours and conditions did do this one in, or maybe it's flaky quality, unless somebody from Uniden wants to chime in with some insight I guess we'll never know....
My R7 gets used every week, but not every day. I use too many other devices while moving around. Today, it should get about 3 hours out of a 6-7 hour round trip. The other time will be G2. I am hobbyist enough to run two or three RD models/brands per trip of this length. :) Most the inventory gets a soft life when not in use. Stored inside. Sorry to hear you got 1.5yrs. Including being easy on its display.

Last edited:

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
I no longer drive for days at a time anymore, my r7 gets maybe 25 mins a day use now. The display issue is only noticed if i change to a color other than red. Still detects like a monster though, I've gotten no tickets yet, so it's doing it's job.

DrHow

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I no longer drive for days at a time anymore, my r7 gets maybe 25 mins a day use now. The display issue is only noticed if i change to a color other than red. Still detects like a monster though, I've gotten no tickets yet, so it's doing it's job.
Welcome to non road life. :)

NOTKTS

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I do wish there was a cheap radar detector tester. It's funny....I have a Solo S4 that will emit Ka when I change it from city to hiway and it sets off my R's, my REx and a Whistler anytime I want to test my fleet.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yea, have I have deep fondness for the R7. when I said lower hours, was comparing to someone like @RadarSammich who runs his days at at time. Also a preface that I have not has any issues my R3/R7. He gets much more use in a week than my R3 would in a month.

I hear you, don't expect my R7 to last 10 years but wouldn't surprise me if it did. Upgraded the firmware with every latest version and run it in dark mode, which I prefer now, but it's been rock solid from day one and only better with the firmware enhancements. I knew when I bought it that they would be updating it and they have. Time will tell how it goes with it but after a year not a hiccup. No regrets on it at all. I sold my R1 and R3 which covered the cost of the R7. If radenso ever gets their unit out their with all the things they say then the R7 may go but until then feel good about it.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Shame about your R3. I can confirm from working on the firmware, the 'self test' does nothing. It's really more of a demo mode to show what the alerts look like on the display. It doesn't even check or use the DSP or anything. Purely cosmetic! Same applies on the DFR9, and R7!

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Shame about your R3. I can confirm from working on the firmware, the 'self test' does nothing. It's really more of a demo mode to show what the alerts look like on the display. It doesn't even check or use the DSP or anything. Purely cosmetic! Same applies on the DFR9, and R7!

Actually, I have now noted that the Arrow colour / Band settings colour changes are implemented on the self test. Therefore you can use the Self test to see how your alert display settings change the appearance as desired. It also works to showing the difference between alert display #1 and display #2 on the R7. However, as a test to see if your detector actually still has detection capability it is quite useless, and actually gives a false sense of security. Therefore only use the self test feature to check your display settings.

Toyotask

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that! I have heard similar situations in R1 or R3 units before. I don't know what the source of the problem is, but the units are getting too hot during the work.

Lukaszu

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That's why I roll with DFR6... It's indestructible.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal