My R3 is dead, it stopped detecting all bands.

Driver66

Probably driving
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yup, it's true. Packed it up and shipped it off to Texas today. The lights were on but nobody was home inside! About 2 months ago I started to notice random falsing to 35.5, nothing around, middle of nowhere, just alerting and it would continue for a while. I reloaded the firmware and had no change, so I downgraded back to 1.37 from 1.50 and had no change, still falsing. Next I turned that segment off completely. We have ZERO 35.5 here so no big deal, I thought I was good to go. Then about 5 weeks ago I started to notice that the R seemed more quite than usual and I started to get suspicious. One day not long after that I went by 5 LEO's and didn't get any detections. I know it's not a cop detector! Yes, YOU were thinking it. Lol. Around here very rarely do the LEO's have their units off. They are constantly on, and I'm not complaining, evil I/O. So, the next day I threw the DFR7 up on the window and sure enough the DFR started alerting to a traffic sign and the R was not. This particular detection was of a Ka unit, so I pulled over and did a factory reset and went back. This time it alerted and I thought, ok nothing serious. I left the DFR up on the following days just to babysit the R in case there really was a serious problem, and sure enough the R was silent and the DFR was alerting. So, I started running it up against known X and K locations, silence. Not good. So I took it down and threw it on my bench for about a week til I could get to it. I Upraded it to 1.53 in recovery mode, dumped all the locations and did a factory reset. I then took it back out against some known locations with the DFR nearby and still nothing, it was over. All the lights would come on and it would go through a self test and act completely normal but my once powerful R was now dead inside. I have no idea what went wrong in there, but I pulled it down and left the DFR7 up. That was a few weeks back and with the whole stay at home thing I wasn't driving at all so I didn't put much thought into it again until this last weekend. Saturday I went to Unidens website and got the info and packed it up for shipping. I ran it over to the UPS today and had it shipped out. I figure being stuck in the house is probably a great time to be without it while it gets fixed. Awesome right? Ugh.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That sucks! I'm damn sorry to hear this!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, hopefully it's a cheap fix and you get it back soon.

I would've been happy to send you a radar gun for testing to confirm it you had posted about this earlier!

Driver66

Probably driving
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I bought it new in late October early november of 2018. So, just about a year and a half.
Post automatically merged:

I would've been happy to send you a radar gun for testing to confirm it you had posted about this earlier!
Thanks Monkey! I will definitely keep that in mind, I could have used it.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I bought it new in late October early november of 2018. So, just about a year and a half.
BTW, it goes without saying that if you need a detector in the meantime just PM me and I'll send you anything I've got till you get yours back!

Driver66

Probably driving
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The site quotes the cost as $71.95 plus $10 for return shipping, so like $82. I guess we'll see, I don't expect to know or have one back for a while. My experience with their turn around time for one of my DFR's about a year ago was not good. It was easily a month. With the Covid thing I may not see it til the summer, lol. It's not a terrible big deal, I'm not really using it now, and the 7 is up there holding down the fort for now, so I'm good.

Driver66

Probably driving
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
BTW, it goes without saying that if you need a detector in the meantime just PM me and I'll send you anything I've got till you get yours back!
Thanks, that's much appreciated but I don't want to be the one that's to blame when you loose a limb if you get caught in Janes car! Lol. I have plenty other units hanging around, I'm good.

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The part that's really scary is that the R series self-test is not reliable. It's one thing for a detector to go through a malfunction but at least there was the self-test to give you some kind of peace of mind that it was giving you honest feedback. But now that that is out the window there's no safety net.

I'd be curious to know if there is a way to test that in all detectors to see if they are honest about their status.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had an R1 do this, it was pretty obvious when I was parked facing a Walgreens automatic door and it wasn't going full tilt on Kband. Make sure to check on the one you get back, this first replacement they sent was also silent. Second one has been fine for more than a year since :)

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Administrator
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The part that's really scary is that the R series self-test is not reliable. It's one thing for a detector to go through a malfunction but at least there was the self-test to give you some kind of peace of mind that it was giving you honest feedback. But now that that is out the window there's no safety net.

I'd be curious to know if there is a way to test that in all detectors to see if they are honest about their status.
The self test isn't unreliable.
Its nonexistent.

Ive seen an r1's horn fail and stop receiving radar. It would return and error on the bus to the main MCU. This MCU would also continue running normally and even perform the "self test". Basically, when operating normally the horn sends a heartbeat packet to the UI MCU with a value of i think 0x80 (or something like that). A Ka alert changes that packet id to 0x88.
Well when the horn fails and stops detecting radar it returns an error packet of 0x77 which the UI mcu just ignores and keeps on displaying normal status waiting for an alert packet on the bus.
The only time an error presents is if the horn stops sending data altogether. Then the display just goes blank.

All the self test does is just notify you which bands you have on. It leta the person (self) test that the bands are on and alert works.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yup, it's true. Packed it up and shipped it off to Texas today. The lights were on but nobody was home inside! About 2 months ago I started to notice random falsing to 35.5, nothing around, middle of nowhere, just alerting and it would continue for a while. I reloaded the firmware and had no change, so I downgraded back to 1.37 from 1.50 and had no change, still falsing. Next I turned that segment off completely. We have ZERO 35.5 here so no big deal, I thought I was good to go. Then about 5 weeks ago I started to notice that the R seemed more quite than usual and I started to get suspicious. One day not long after that I went by 5 LEO's and didn't get any detections. I know it's not a cop detector! Yes, YOU were thinking it. Lol. Around here very rarely do the LEO's have their units off. They are constantly on, and I'm not complaining, evil I/O. So, the next day I threw the DFR7 up on the window and sure enough the DFR started alerting to a traffic sign and the R was not. This particular detection was of a Ka unit, so I pulled over and did a factory reset and went back. This time it alerted and I thought, ok nothing serious. I left the DFR up on the following days just to babysit the R in case there really was a serious problem, and sure enough the R was silent and the DFR was alerting. So, I started running it up against known X and K locations, silence. Not good. So I took it down and threw it on my bench for about a week til I could get to it. I Upraded it to 1.53 in recovery mode, dumped all the locations and did a factory reset. I then took it back out against some known locations with the DFR nearby and still nothing, it was over. All the lights would come on and it would go through a self test and act completely normal but my once powerful R was now dead inside. I have no idea what went wrong in there, but I pulled it down and left the DFR7 up. That was a few weeks back and with the whole stay at home thing I wasn't driving at all so I didn't put much thought into it again until this last weekend. Saturday I went to Unidens website and got the info and packed it up for shipping. I ran it over to the UPS today and had it shipped out. I figure being stuck in the house is probably a great time to be without it while it gets fixed. Awesome right? Ugh.

Sorry to read that! How long have you had it? Please keep us posted on what you find out. Hopefully they will tell you what's wrong with it. Not sure if they normally do that though.

GTO_04

Last edited:

fjonathan

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I bought an R1 during Best Buy's Black Friday sale in 2018. Ran it for a few days and it stopped detecting radar. Powers on and does the self test like normal.
I returned it to Best Buy and got a refund.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not the first or the last, which is why having a radar gun to test with is invaluable for anyone that truly relies on their detectors. Just like we say that a detector or jammer will "pay for itself", so will a radar gun or lidar gun if you ever need to test your setup. Hey, if you drive around PSL+10, you're probably ok but if you are pushing it, you really need something to verify it's all good. A pre-flight checklist is also helpful, even if it's only a mental practice.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My 1st R3 had an issue, my 2nd one stopped alerting to signals just as yours did - my 3rd one has been solid though. Luckily it all happened under their warranty periods. I have no complaints about their service either.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal