Motorcycle Head Placement (Seattle Area)

PNWBlaise

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Recently bought a TPX jammer for my Ducati. The challenge is there's not a good location for the two heads up front. The rear placement is obvious (although I only own 2 heads for now).

Here's one TPX head mocked up with duct tape. This is exactly how I ran my Laser Interceptor back in 2014 on my Super Duke. Ideas? I emailed TPX and they suggested putting the heads inside the air intake or even below it, which seems way way way far from the reflective headlamps. I could also possibly buy spare plastics and trim the area below the outside of the lights to install the heads there. But I'd prefer not to cut up my Ducati!

As a bonus, if anyone knows any local folks who can do testing, would be awesome. Cheers!

MultiFront.JPG

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Head placement on a motorcycle (front end) is very difficult. As on any vehicle, the Receive Head needs to be places as close as possible to the LEO's "preferred" targeting location. For motorcycled, "Center Mass / Headlights" are what I would target you at during a testing session, If I was having issues getting a reading, I'd shift the targeting location to your helmet (or head depending on you location's helmet laws).

Different manufacturers heads can cover different amount of area. I'm not sure what TPX's coverage area is and this should be something that you should find out (if you don't already know). With that information, head placement (ideal vs, feasible) can be established.

So, without knowing what TPX Head Spec's are, where you have it at "might" be ideal, then it "might" not be.

And with that said, I "think" a better location would be above the headlights. In the bottom part of the Black V (between the windshield and the red nose plastic. This location "should" protect the headlights and "help" to protect the rider's helmet (depending on the laser head's coverage area).

A bracket could be fabricated that attaches to the two lower windshield mounts for head(s) could be mounted to. Just a suggestion.

PNWBlaise

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I came up with another idea...

Center-to-Center distance here is 22", with the total bike width at 38". Mounting them on the bar is a bit of an unusual choice but provided it works geometrically (like you said, need to find out the head coverage area) this provides a solid and clean solution for center of mass.

IMG_4157.jpg

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A problem with handlebar placement is any slight turn won't just angle out your jammers, it'll also affect how level they are due to the front end rake.
Side note, how did you like the Super Duke and why did you change to Ducati?

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If it was me I would do a stacked set up, one below the headlights and one above it near the windshield if possible.

On automobiles we place heads side by side because we need the horizontal coverage, bikes are different, we need more of a vertical coverage. IMO I don't see any reason why stacked heads wouldn't work for motorcycles as long as the heads are not too close to each other or had a physical barrier between them so they could not "see"each other.

PNWBlaise

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I had that exact question about stacking heads but TPX stuck to the 'have them next to each other' bit and told me to mount them below the beak. I'd much rather stack them vertically for that exact rason.

The handlebar mount level issue will exist on the front end as well if I stand on the brakes. The slight turn bit I'm trying to decide if it's a real issue, as it could both help or hurt based on the angle of attack on the gun vs bike path.

I really need to just set this up a few different ways and find somebody in Seattle with a gun.
Post automatically merged:

InDecay: Whoops, you're right about the rake. I missed the 5 minute window to edit my post.

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't think I'd recommend handle bars. Too far back from possible targets and creates more "shelving" where uneven surfaces can block or disrupt the heads with reflections. Ideally, you want he first thing that the beam hits to be the heads, in practice you want it as close as possible to the ideal while still within your constraints.

I'd go with one like you've got duct taped up there or try TPX's suggestion. Get tested and then permanently mount the heads. You don't have as much ground to cover on a bike as on a car so I wouldn't worry about the lower placement too much. I kind of wonder how vertically mounted heads in each of the ducts would work for better vertical coverage.

PNWBlaise

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Where can I find out who's got guns locally? Sounds like a test is the only way to really square this.

Thanks for the help guys!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Where can I find out who's got guns locally? Sounds like a test is the only way to really square this.

A test is really the only way to go with a jammer install and have confidence in it. Our tester directory has been taken down temporarily due to Covid19/shutdown orders.

You can definitely pick up an inexpensive lidar gun yourself to do some general testing and sell it later or you can wait for a while until things open back up and see who's in the directory. I'm not too familiar with your area as far as guns but I don't recall them being the more difficult/expensive ones. @Vortex might be able to chime in on that.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A problem with handlebar placement is any slight turn won't just angle out your jammers, it'll also affect how level they are due to the front end rake.
Side note, how did you like the Super Duke and why did you change to Ducati?
A motorcycle is a more "dynamic" vehicle vs. a car/truck. Any Throttle (on/off), Braking or Leaning will change the angle of the head vs. the LADIR. It's just the Nature Of The Beast.......

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I chatted with @Jdem when I sold him an R7 and he and his buddy have a few lidar guns. They're just across the border in Vancouver. I know @Vortex is in WA and would know of more local people who can do testing. Plus he may want to contact you about some motorcycle-specific testing, since that's been a topic his videos haven't fully addressed yet. If you're wanting to test before the coronavirus restrictions are removed, you can always order a used lidar guy off eBay. I got an LTI Marksman 20/20 for $75 and it works great. It helped validate the front and rear install on my Miata. And depending on how you like your TPX setup, I may eventually get the same on my Duke 690.

PNWBlaise

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Fantastic, I'll reach out to Vortex and see what we can do.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Cool, let me know when you get your setup installed and we can meet up for a quick test. If you like, we could also do a quick video as well since I don’t have a lot of motorcycle content for people.

Your install placement may be a little atypical, but if it works, it works. If not, we’ll then we’ll learn. :p

PNWBlaise

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Great! I'm in Seattle, I'll shoot you a PM.

I'm also happy to be a moto-dummy for content, as I really care about this space. The best solution I've been able to come up with so far has been V1driver with the BT dongle and remote display for radar, but this is something we can discuss.

I even have more than one bike we can mock things up on... just need the guns to make it happen.
Post automatically merged:

Hey @Vortex , check your PM, need to shoot you an email.

Last edited:

Mr carbon

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
How did you finish up with your install after difficult ain't it trying to mount heads

Mr carbon

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ohhhh right I'm having the same sort of issues on my motorbike mouthing heads I want to stack the heads one TX on the front and one regular head same on the rear but I get conficking information what may work and not work then I have no way of geting it tested so kind of stuck

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronton617