V1 RF Board Pics

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
haha I thought about that. I've always figured that engineers appreciating the internals of their electronics are like car guys popping their car's hood and admiring their engines. :) I wanted to wait until after I finished all my long range testing and everything first before taking it apart, just in case I accidentally zap something with static electricity or whatever.

Good point, I see it that way too. You're also holding your recommendation on your site. you're doing him a solid there too as many folks look to you for their pathway to an RD that fits their needs.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good point, I see it that way too. You're also holding your recommendation on your site. you're doing him a solid there too as many folks look to you for their pathway to an RD that fits their needs.

Yeah, and I've gotten a fair amount of flack for that too.

I'm almost done writing up my V1 review for my website. It's gonna be pretty involved (as usual) and I'm gonna address this specifically and in depth. :)

Noisy boy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yeah, and I've gotten a fair amount of flack for that too.

I'm almost done writing up my V1 review for my website. It's gonna be pretty involved (as usual) and I'm gonna address this specifically and in depth. :)
I just came across this discussion thanks to the link from Vortex's review. As an electrical engineer, the assembly is a shame. Compare with teardown of other consumer electronics, this is in the bottom tier when it comes to manufacturing. With proper temperature, solder, and flux, the joints should all be shiny, smooth, and evenly covered, the board should be cleaned and washed afterward without any trace of leftover flux. What I see is like results from novice learning hand soldering, or example pictures of boards that needs rework, which is a shame given the hard earned goodwill the brand had accumulated through all these decades. I have opened up $5 Harbor Freight multimeter with much better assembly, it is not what anyone should get on a $500 detector.

The dark patches on some of the solder joints are misleading, they are actually due to lighting. One needs a good ring light and side lights, and lens at a proper distance to get good scope pictures.

This discussion is already over 6 months old. Given the detector is exposed to extreme temperature and constant vibration, I would wait to see pictures of a clean, flawless assembly if I were to get one.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You're resurrecting a very old thread for some reason. Keep in mind that there was no independent corroboration of the disassembly and inspection of that device. and it was done by a competitor to VR who was and is clearly worried by the arrival of a high end detector that trounces his devices in performance.
Suffice to say, apart from some initial screen issues, there has been no hardware problems that I can recall in thousands of Gen 2's sold. Any issues have been firmware related and dealt with, or being dealt with.
My two have been flawless, the first one was a very early version 4.1018. The second was 4.1019.
The proof, as always, is in the pudding.
PS. There was one very strange occurrence of one being shipped without screws fitted. The odds are much like being struck by lightning.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there was no independent corroboration of the disassembly and inspection of that device.
I call bullshit on that one. There were other disassemblies pictured in this same thread, with the evolution between different RF revisions clearly visible.

and it was done by a competitor to VR who was and is clearly worried by the arrival of a high end detector that trounces his devices in performance.

Yup, he must have been also responsible for the Updated List of Mechanical Issues with the new V1G2 thread.

To be honest, I'm puzzled by such reactions. Praising the decent and fair way in which Valentine Research dealt with such teething problems would do them much better service than denying there were such problems in the first place and looking for ill will elsewhere.

VR should we proud in the way they fixed this. By denying there was anything to fix in the first place you're taking this achievement away from them.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I call bullshit on that one. There were other disassemblies pictured in this same thread, with the evolution between different RF revisions clearly visible.

Yup, he must have been also responsible for the Updated List of Mechanical Issues with the new V1G2 thread.

To be honest, I'm puzzled by such reactions. Praising the decent and fair way Valentine Research dealt with such teething problems would do them much better service than denying there were such problems in the first place and looking for ill will elsewhere.
Lol Don't feed the trolls

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
From time to time, archeological excavations happen and unearth old threads. I don’t know what my board looks like. I just know how good and consistent it is on Ka. I don’t have K here.

Vancity23

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Suffice to say, apart from some initial screen issues, there has been no hardware problems that I can recall in thousands of Gen 2's sold. Any issues have been firmware related and dealt with, or being dealt with
Would the early power up issues be considered hardware or ?

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Would the early power up issues be considered hardware or ?
It would seem so initially, but a firmware update was the fix for it. Later we found out that a full reload of firmware can/will apply a new MAC address to the same mainboard that we were believing was being swapped out. (Because the MACs were changing)

There were some mainboard swaps at the very beginning before they had a chance to look at them as I recall. Beyond that, we don't know how many had their mainboard swapped out versus a full reload.
We do have some confirmation that the problem was almost entirely in some of the units sold in the first 2 or 3 weeks and RDF users bought the majority of those.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OK. Who was the witness? I don't recall a name being mentioned. Someone from RDF?
You are far more trusting than me. I'm a cynical old sod, but I rarely get fooled.

cihkal

🕊
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
All I know is, I'm really happy for $500 with what I got compared to what's our there.

Maybe more people should show off their boards to stir up some real, you know actual, enthusiasm behind the potential board quality issue. This could then motivate VR to correct things, if even an issue exits.

Maybe, we'll start to see reports of failures. Sounds like this thing is pretty popular outside of here, maybe people will even sign up just to seek troubleshooting advice before being told it's another fatality to a crappy board.

Or, things will work out well for the majority of people as they did with the G1.

Who knows now? Not many, so for most we'll see what happens!

Last edited:

Buz

Old School Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The guy who resurrected this post yesterday was not insulting the performance of the V1G2. He was simply pointing out the board assembly looks like a child did it (relatively speaking)
Is anyone refuting his claims?

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Don't forget to add "totally unbiased" and "with no personal aversion towards anyone at Radenso, especially not Jon" :)
Exactly. I have no time for his kind of behaviour. But you'll note, I rarely, if ever, comment on their forum. Anything I have to say is in general or V1 forums

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
For what its worth, my original V1G2 (the one pictured) is still working perfectly fine
I haven't noticed if you've mentioned; have you been updating for v4.1019 and v4.1021?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep and I've posted teardown photos in this thread too.

There are indeed different hardware revisions of the V1 Gen2 that different people have received.

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven't noticed if you've mentioned; have you been updating for v4.1019 and v4.1021?

I've done 2 updates now total. So I should be on the latest. Although full disclosure, after the most recent update, the V1 seems to not power on in my car. It is sitting on my desk powered on though, so I think either my cigarette lighter fuse or the V1 power cord fuse must have blown in the mean time. On my list to track down the issue (I need to install the hardwire kit anyways)

Edit - just checked and I'm on 4.1021

cihkal

🕊
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Okay, so I just had a chance to take mine apart. I've got a Rev C as well, but it looks much better than the one @Jon at Radenso looked at in the OP. Here's a look at the teardown photos in full res so you can zoom in and take a closer look.

Bottom of V1:

View attachment 146579

V1 with top removed:

View attachment 146580

Bottom of V1:

View attachment 146581

Top view of V1 and horn:

View attachment 146582

Top view of V1 with horn removed:

View attachment 146583

Bottom of horn with 24-pin connector sticking out from RF PCB inside the horn:

View attachment 146584

RF PCB inside of horn:

View attachment 146585

Closer look at the RF PCB:

View attachment 146586

Other side of the board:

View attachment 146587

Inside of horn casing:

View attachment 146588
and the V1 components laid out:

View attachment 146589
View attachment 146590

Since the thread came back to life, here are more pics from this very thread to look at as well☝️

Speaking of the packaging and guts, man this thing is a nice little assembly!

I'm tired of overly big or overly plastic, no thanks folks! Some of us aren't big-girl kinda guys, at least for RDs! 🤣

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downhiller2010