Got a new mobile 2m/70cm rig for the car

FoxStang

Sly fox, dumb bunny.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Didn’t have antenna pics handy, had to take some real quick. Pardon the dirt, it’s been nothing but rain and treegasm here for weeks
65F6ADF1-05B1-4C7E-AFF1-7B4AACB1A3E4.jpeg

777DB1A0-2B8F-44F2-A871-9D9C794CFA64.jpeg

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's been another month and more. How are you liking the ID-5100A, @FoxStang?

FoxStang

Sly fox, dumb bunny.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's been another month and more. How are you liking the ID-5100A, @FoxStang?
Liking it a lot! I never used to be able to hold on to simplex contacts, now I've had a few while cruising. There's a net on a somewhat distant repeater I was never able to check into before due to bad signal on my end, I have been hitting that one just fine too. Crystal clear TX, really good RX. I may swap antennas to something a little longer just to really get out there, my biggest limitation now is the tiny 12" Comet I have.

mplsfalls

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If you spend any time in the Southern states, be carefull about exposing the ID-5100A or any other radio with a touchscreen to excessive heat in the vehicle. I loved my ID-5100A's that I owned but in the heat of Texas, Louisiana, and Florida the touchscreen lost its calibration to an extent to where it became a boat anchor. Went with the ID-4100 now as I do enjoy the near repeater function.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A belated congratulations @FoxStang on the Icom ID-5100A! I also own this radio and love the touchscreen and the ease of setting up D-Star. I run mine with a ZumSpot Nextion 3.5 hotspot and it works great. 👍

Knock on wood, but I haven’t had any problems with my screen in Florida. 😉

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well I'll be darn! I did not know this Forum existed until I noticed recent activity. I have ham radios coming out the wazoo! Too many HF rigs the best of which is an FT DX3000, too many hand-helds the best of which are probably the IC92AD (2m/70cm/DStar) and the TH-72a (2m/70cm/APRS), 2 mobile rigs-a TM-D710A (2m/70cm/APRS for the truck), TM-V71A (2m/70cm in the house) and Too many scanners. A Collins 30L-1 Amp used with the FT-DX3000 (I truly admire the old Collins master piece and use it almost every day.)

I use a Larson glass mount dual band antenna on the truck's back window for the TM-D710A.

My wife asks how many radios does 1 person need? The answer is about 12 less than I have. And I have been licensed since 1979.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well I'll be darn! I did not know this Forum existed until I noticed recent activity. I have ham radios coming out the wazoo! Too many HF rigs the best of which is an FT DX3000, too many hand-helds the best of which are probably the IC92AD (2m/70cm/DStar) and the TH-72a (2m/70cm/APRS), 2 mobile rigs-a TM-D710A (2m/70cm/APRS for the truck), TM-V71A (2m/70cm in the house) and Too many scanners. A Collins 30L-1 Amp used with the FT-DX3000 (I truly admire the old Collins master piece and use it almost every day.)

I use a Larson glass mount dual band antenna on the truck's back window for the TM-D710A.

My wife asks how many radios does 1 person need? The answer is about 12 less than I have. And I have been licensed since 1979.

Correction: How many radios does 1 person need? As Larry Potterfield (Midway USA) would say "Just one more". ;) :rofl:

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DifferentialT, you have me beat by a wide margin if you have 12 too many. ;)

I have a Yaesu FT-950, an Icom IC-2820H, an Icom ID-5100A connected to a Larsen NMO 2/70 Black antenna, an Icom ID-51A D-Star HT, two ZUMSpot-RPi Nextion 3.5 hotspots (one setup just for DMR & the other one setup just for D-Star), and a Motorola XPR-7550e DMR radio. This doesn't include my Motorola XTS3000 Model III VHF HT, a Wouxon KG-UV7D HT or the three Motorola RDM2080d MURS radios. :cool:

Token

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Correction: How many radios does 1 person need? As Larry Potterfield (Midway USA) would say "Just one more". ;) :rofl:

The very last radio I will ever need is just around the corner. And I hope I never find that exact corner, because until then I get to round corners and keep acquiring radios in the hope that someone else will believe this one will be that last one. It ain't been so far.

Fortunately my wife is similarly afflicted, and when she sees me ogling some boat anchor at a swap meet or ham fest she has gotten to the point where she can accurately gauge if I am going to leave with it or not, typically long before I know myself.

T!

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
@jestric said " you have me beat by a wide margin if you have 12 too many. ;)"

Oh no, I am not trying to beat anyone it's just that I have a bad habit of acquiring and keeping stuff in which I am interested. Not a hoarder but just a collector I hope. I have other collections of stuff and now it seems I am collecting radar detectors.

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I started collecting scanners that were popular during my youth and have basically run out of space to display them. My wife just laughs when she sees me unbox another oldie. I’ve also got a nice Motorola museum going as well. I’ve got most of the newer model scanners as well

For hammy gear I’ve got 3 HF radios (TS950SD, HW8 and a G90) and an old Icom 03AT.

Everything else is Motorola, APX or XPR mainly. Had to start recasing radios so I could tell them apart.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hello @mikeoxlong and thanks for sharing your interest. My original scanners were probably some of stuff you collect like crystal bound stuff. Later on the scanner most of my friends and I esteemed was the Bearcat BC 210. I don't have any of those now. The oldest I have now is a Radio Shack 100 ch Pro-2040 and only because it was my Dad's (think he was KD6MM.) My favorite now is a Uniden Bearcat Trunktracker BCD996XT and by now it's probably outdated.

I had a Kenwood TS-950SD too. Wonderful rig, just big. even bigger than my Yaesu FT-950 which is a little bigger than my Yaesu DX-3000. I had an Heathkit HW8 once upon a time too but I sold it. Only QRP rig now is a Norcal 40A I built from a kit years ago.

I hope others get into this little thread and share what they have in scanners and radios.

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Bearcat 210 was one of the first I owned. I’ve got one of those in my museum as well as the BC220, BC220RC, BC250 and a BC300 which I always wanted but couldn’t afford when it was new.
Love the 950SD. Wouldn’t mind moving up to a 990 at some point.
HW8 was new to me back in the 70’s and the G90 is for trips to the cottage.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Bearcat 210 was one of the first I owned. I’ve got one of those in my museum as well as the BC220, BC220RC, BC250 and a BC300 which I always wanted but couldn’t afford when it was new.
Love the 950SD. Wouldn’t mind moving up to a 990 at some point.
HW8 was new to me back in the 70’s and the G90 is for trips to the cottage.
You've got me on the G10. I am not familiar with that one. Only G10 I've ever seen is an 1940's receiver.

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I hope others get into this little thread and share what they have in scanners and radios.

There is a whole subforum here for this sort of stuff, tons to read about what people have and are running, a great resource:

I think that it would be very interesting if we got more threads going in there, since this particular thread is about FoxStang's setup, so there was a great resource of all the different setups people are running. :)

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
There is a whole subforum here for this sort of stuff, tons to read about what people have and are running, a great resource:

I think that it would be very interesting if we got more threads going in there, since this particular thread is about FoxStang's setup, so there was a great resource of all the different setups people are running. :)
Sure, OK. I thought this thread was in that Forum. Guess his thread got hijacked.

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Right, I mean you're correct the thread is in the forum. I was suggesting that it would be awesome if you added a thread to that forum with pics and info just for your setup so we can go talk about yours all we want there, and then talk about FoxStangs here, you know?

Mine is here... https://www.rdforum.org/threads/98686/

Others have threads too. Join in with yours!

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Right, I mean you're correct the thread is in the forum. I was suggesting that it would be awesome if you added a thread to that forum with pics and info just for your setup so we can go talk about yours all we want there, and then talk about FoxStangs here, you know?

Mine is here... https://www.rdforum.org/threads/98686/

Others have threads too. Join in with yours!
@robbyb413, OK, I'll do that. Thanks.

scooternew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Nice, I'm running a IC-7100 in my truck.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac