V1G2 Permanent Mount [Prototype]

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As others have noted it is a permanent mount. I use two sided “nano tape” that you can buy off of Amazon. This stuff is pretty strong. You can actually remove the mount but you may need to use a scrapper for assistance. The nano tape is supposedly reusable & washable. However, I found that it is easier to just replace it with a fresh piece of tape.

Yes, you can slide the detector out of the mount leaving the mount on the windshield. Depending on how much you tighten the set screw, you may or may not have to realign the detector when you insert it back into the mount.

Last edited:

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It is a permanent mount, but you can also use Velcro like I did. Get the good kind like they use on the transponders so you can remove it and move it from car to car. I'm running my V1G2 in 3 different cars at the moment so this comes in handy! Eventually, I'll end up with 2 more V1G2's and a mount for each car then I'll mount then with 2 sided Gorilla tape or something similar. This Velcro ain't no joke however! It's all I can do to get it pulled back apart once it's fastened!
Ok. My old V1G1 I used a been bag base with a sucksion cup pi distill base with Velcro on the V1 and the base. It worked well for many years. I sold my old V1G1 when the G2 came out and after trying to get the windshield mount to work I will be going back to the bean bag set up.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As long as it's assembled correctly (including the pin between screw and ball with the cup towards the ball), tapped deep enough and snugged up properly, it won't work loose. If you can move it by hand still, without feeling like it's going to break, just tighten the screw a wee bit more. Mine's stayed right where I put it since I've mounted it.

From an engineering perspective, when something is torqued and tensioned properly, it will act as if it's a solid piece of material until that tension is overcome. Basically, the vibrations would have to be able to overcome the tension and friction of the fastening. That shouldn't happen unless the material is too weak or it's not tight enough. Heat would be my only concern as I haven't tested one of these in Nylon yet and ABS has better mechanical properties than nylon at higher temperatures.

BTW, that looks nice and clean in your car @alee ! :)
I couldn't find a 1/2" long inch set screw but I found all of the 3/8" I want at Ace Hardware. I had the same worry about the screw coming loose, for no reason I'm sure, but I had enough room to use the first set screw to tighten the mount and then use a second screw as a jam nut! I know damn well it won't loosen up now, not that it would have anyway! I've got it mounted in one of my drive to work Mustangs and I couldn't be happier with it! I'm going to order 2 more of them from Shapeways!

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
this is a good option

farfromovin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Anyone ever use VHB tape on a tinted widshield and be able to remove it without destroying the tint? I usually have pretty good luck with suction cups, but I love the pivot design of this mount.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

infin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Anyone ever use VHB tape on a tinted widshield and be able to remove it without destroying the tint? I usually have pretty good luck with suction cups, but I love the pivot design of this mount.
Highly doubt you will be able to remove without ripping the tint. I just stuck some vhb on my window and didn’t like the position, was tough to get off even after a few min.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Removing VHB from tint isn’t bad, but if you rush it you do risk tearing the tint. Don’t use sharp instruments, and take your time.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49