V1G2 Permanent Mount [Prototype]

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Bumping this for what looks like an excellent design. I was looking at the link provided to order it through Shapeways. How would I know this is printed with ABS material and 100% fill?
You definitely get what you pay for with Shapeways. Don't think twice about it. Mine has been hanging in my daily car for just over a month, been in the sun, driven over crappy NYC cobblestone streets and hangs perfectly, with the ball joint staying put. Haven't had to touch it. I ordered the PA12.

I got a second one from them a few weeks later for my other car. Just as good as the first one. They're definitely not using consumer printers, and the product has a really nice texture to it.

BDrag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I bought a second mount from shapeways thinking I’d use it for the spare car but changed my mind. Love the first one and am curious if anybody would like to purchase the second one I got? I can include a set screw and tap the mount myself so all you’d need is the mounting adhesive.

mreservices

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I bought a second mount from shapeways thinking I’d use it for the spare car but changed my mind. Love the first one and am curious if anybody would like to purchase the second one I got? I can include a set screw and tap the mount myself so all you’d need is the mounting adhesive.
PM sent

BDrag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Update. Box from shapeways is unopened. If desired I can even add the gorilla adhesive I used myself on my other one. If interested, feel free to make an offer.

Rocket Jockey

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
PM Sent For V1 Gen2 Custom Mount!

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just ordered one from Shapeways...a little pricey ($59 or $55 models + $2.74 processing + $8.99 shipping) but still less expensive than my blendmount. The blendmount works fine but I am looking for a more stealthy install.

BDrag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Update. Box from shapeways is unopened. If desired I can even add the gorilla adhesive I used myself on my other one. If interested, feel free to make an offer.
Update. Sold the spare mount. Thanks for all the interest. I can definitely recommend the mount. It’s solid and is not hard to tap and set up in your car.

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My order from Shapeways arrived yesterday. I just put mount together and installed it in the car (up high & to the right of the RVM) a few minutes ago. Thanks to @OBeerWANKenobi for your design. I attached a pic...not sure why it looks blurry here because it is clear when viewed on my iPhone.

Attachments

• 2F68A073-2BDC-421F-9046-92188F552253.jpeg
    2F68A073-2BDC-421F-9046-92188F552253.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 29

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks great @Jawfl ! Glad it worked out well for you.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just heard from Shapeways a little while ago. Mine shipped this morning! Can't wait to check it out! If it works like I hope, I'll order 2 more of them. Thanks @OBeerWANKenobi for taking the time to come up with this! I love everything about my V1G2 ...except for the mount and suction cups!

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just heard from Shapeways a little while ago. Mine shipped this morning! Can't wait to check it out! If it works like I hope, I'll order 2 more of them. Thanks @OBeerWANKenobi for taking the time to come up with this! I love everything about my V1G2 ...except for the mount and suction cups!
I got my mount today and I'm very impressed with it! It's very solid and well designed! Funny thing about all of this is after all the grief @OBeerWANKenobi has given me about my Ford's, a part of him will be riding in at least 3 of my Mustangs! LMAO! It fits in the Boss 302 just like it was made just for it! There is no room in either direction for it to go! Dammit, now I need 2 more, and at least one more V1G2!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I got my mount today and I'm very impressed with it! It's very solid and well designed! Funny thing about all of this is after all the grief @OBeerWANKenobi has given me about my Ford's, a part of him will be riding in at least 3 of my Mustangs! LMAO! It fits in the Boss 302 just like it was made just for it! There is no room in either direction for it to go! Dammit, now I need 2 more, and at least one more V1G2!
Too bad the mount can't make Ford jokes. I'll have to talk to @SquirrelMaster about how to build that in to future designs. ;)

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Oh wow this is nice. I shall be ordering one in the near future. I been tired of the v1 g2 mount sticking out like a sore thumb with the blendmount. At least with this I can tuck it high and tight where the mount won't be easily visible to everyone walking by my parked car.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just recently purchased this mount and I do recall seeing the name “OB GRIP” printed out on the mount.
Post automatically merged:

I have been using this V1G2 mount purchased from Shapeways for about a week now and have been very satisfied with OBeer’s design. I installed the detector up near the headliner and to the right of the rvm. This location removes the detector from my peripheral vision and is a much more stealthy install. You can see my pic in #128 of this post for my current install location...also still shows the previous blendmount location.

However, I now have another problem in that I have to take my eyes off the road and look up & to the right to see the detector when it alerts. Therefore, I will be adding a concealed display unit very soon so that I will no longer need to look up & away when I get an alert. I do use V1 Driver with my iPhone so that helps with the visuals.

Last edited:

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just recently purchased this mount and I do recall seeing the name “OB GRIP” printed out on the mount.
Post automatically merged:

I have been using this V1G2 mount purchased from Shapeways for about a week now and have been very satisfied with OBeer’s design. I installed the detector up near the headliner and to the right of the rvm. This location removes the detector from my peripheral vision and is a much more stealthy install. You can see my pic in #128 of this post for my current install location...also still shows the previous blendmount location.

However, I now have another problem in that I have to take my eyes off the road and look up & to the right to see the detector when it alerts. Therefore, I will be adding a concealed display unit very soon so that I will no longer need to look up & away when I get an alert. I do use V1 Driver with my iPhone so that helps with the visuals.
Nice set up. Is that a permanent mount or can you take the V1 down with out having to line up the the mount and the track on the detector and leave the mount on the windshield? The windshield mount that comes with the V1 stinks. It will fall off at any time without warning. I have to mount it low on my windshield so when it comes off it just falls on to my dash.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
You've got to clean the windshield properly. I can leave my V1 up 100% of the time for at least a year between full windshield cleanings.
Put a drop of cleaner in the cups before pushing them on too.

The factory mounts have held great for me for 20 years.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Nice set up. Is that a permanent mount or can you take the V1 down with out having to line up the the mount and the track on the detector and leave the mount on the windshield? The windshield mount that comes with the V1 stinks. It will fall off at any time without warning. I have to mount it low on my windshield so when it comes off it just falls on to my dash.
It is a permanent mount, but you can also use Velcro like I did. Get the good kind like they use on the transponders so you can remove it and move it from car to car. I'm running my V1G2 in 3 different cars at the moment so this comes in handy! Eventually, I'll end up with 2 more V1G2's and a mount for each car then I'll mount then with 2 sided Gorilla tape or something similar. This Velcro ain't no joke however! It's all I can do to get it pulled back apart once it's fastened!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
997usa