V1G2 Permanent Mount [Prototype]

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not wanting to drag it off topic, but what car and how does that protection work?
Tesla. They can keep the interior at temp unless they run out of battery. Also can pre-cool so you can jump in to a nice cool car.

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not wanting to drag it off topic, but what car and how does that protection work? I’ve never heard of that before.
Tesla Model 3. The HVAC system is pretty awesome. Kind of has to be though since the entire roof is glass with no shades.
Post automatically merged:

Me too. I watched it like a hawk at first. If you can still move it with your hand and you feel like you've gotten it really tight with the set screw, double check and make sure you tapped it deep enough that the set screw isn't running out of threads and tightening before it actually puts enough pressure on the pin/ball. The only movement that you should get out of it by hand is some slight flexing of the stem of the ball but the ball shouldn't rotate in the socket.
Final post on this. Mount is awesome... even on NYC cobblestone streets, it stayed put as it should. Lucky drive on the way home too... 4 different Ka speed traps, and 1 laser trap... all registered with plenty of range, including some luck with the laser scatter. The toll tag isn't in the way.

Ordered another one for the other car. That's how much I like it.

Only ideas I'd have for improvement (if you can call it that):
* Single axis rotation. Really only need up/down IMO... left/right actually presented the real challenge since I had to straighten it, which was harder because the V1's curved display gives you the illusion that it isn't straight.
* Maybe just reuse the V1 suction mount with the cups removed and use that for the mount point for the articulating mount. I kinda miss the ratcheting release.

Neither are really that important though once mounted and tightened.

Attachments

• IMG_4635.jpeg
    IMG_4635.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
* Single axis rotation. Really only need up/down IMO... left/right actually presented the real challenge since I had to straighten it, which was harder because the V1's curved display gives you the illusion that it isn't straight.
* Maybe just reuse the V1 suction mount with the cups removed and use that for the mount point for the articulating mount. I kinda miss the ratcheting release.

I have to completely disagree as all windshield are NOT the same, plus not everybody is going to get the base placed perfectly square so being adjustable in multiple axis is the only proper solution. More importantly in my mind (and my case at least), with the suction cup mount or a blend mount one can center the RD perfect on center of windshield eliminating the need for any right to left adjustment but with my mirror type my OB Grip will be off center of windshield plus on the part that starts bending back and to the left, of side to side adjustment is extremely important to getting the V1G2 parallel to the vehicle center line IE the ball joint allows maximum adjustment in all available and sometimes needed axis!

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Final post on this. Mount is awesome... even on NYC cobblestone streets, it stayed put as it should. Lucky drive on the way home too... 4 different Ka speed traps, and 1 laser trap... all registered with plenty of range, including some luck with the laser scatter. The toll tag isn't in the way.

Ordered another one for the other car. That's how much I like it.

Only ideas I'd have for improvement (if you can call it that):

Thanks for the update alee and I'm glad you like the mount!

As for your suggestions. I needed full adjustablilty and I'm guessing many others like Transporter above do as well so I wouldn't be interested in making that change. It helps if you barely snug the set screw so the mount can still be adjusted but stays put, and then tighten the screw once you have it where you want.

For the second suggestion, the suction cup mount requires that you bump the front of the detector against the windshield and I didn't want to do that with this mount to open up more options.

That being said, I definitely could look into a way to make it easier to unclip the V1 from the visor style clip. Currently, if you press upwards on the V1 directly under the ball you can twist it a bit and use a finger to remove it. It works, but it could work better. I didn't consider this much in the design because I don't take mine down.

hamoper

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would agree the mount is pretty good, but I am having an issue. I snugged the set screw just tight enough so that it would not move, when I went out to the car today I noticed that the part of the mount that is affects to the windshield has been pulled in to itself so that it is now bowed in the middle. It appears to me that maybe the ball was not made quite large enough so that there is an unequal stress caused on one side when the set screw is tightened up. I will try and take photos and post......

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would agree the mount is pretty good, but I am having an issue. I snugged the set screw just tight enough so that it would not move, when I went out to the car today I noticed that the part of the mount that is affects to the windshield has been pulled in to itself so that it is now bowed in the middle. It appears to me that maybe the ball was not made quite large enough so that there is an unequal stress caused on one side when the set screw is tightened up. I will try and take photos and post......
Which material did you use, who printed it, and what was the infill percentage set at, if applicable?

Matthewstorm

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My little insert was too big and had to be filed down to fit. Also, from Treatstock. MilkNasty.

hamoper

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My little insert was too big and had to be filed down to fit. Also, from Treatstock. MilkNasty.
Mine was also done by MilkNasty. I now have encountered another issue. After have been setting in the sun for 1 hour the bottom part of the mount has stretched so it no longer fits the mount. I don't believe it was manufactured with abs. I paid $16.00
It's a good mount design, I just need to find the right manufacturer without spending much more. I did see somewhere that the mount was being sold for $60.00 I may need to go that route. I have included photos...

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_170451398.jpg
    IMG_20200616_170451398.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20200616_170329178.jpg
    IMG_20200616_170329178.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 122

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Shapeways is pricey, but the end result has been hanging in my car for 8 days with no heat warping, or other quality issues.

iazybandit

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mine was also done by MilkNasty. I now have encountered another issue. After have been setting in the sun for 1 hour the bottom part of the mount has stretched so it no longer fits the mount. I don't believe it was manufactured with abs. I paid $16.00
It's a good mount design, I just need to find the right manufacturer without spending much more. I did see somewhere that the mount was being sold for $60.00 I may need to go that route. I have included photos...
If it sat in the sun for 1 hour, that definitely wasn't ABS. He probably printed that with PLA which can not withstand heat. Unfortunately, no real way or knowing what he really used.

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
$55!!! I paid $9 for mine!
Depends on where you place your value. If it's going permanently in my car, I am wiling to spend more on a proper commercial 3D print. The finish is superb. It required no filing down. Align, stick on windshield, hang your $500 device on it, and don't think about it again.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Holy Crap!
Yeah, no way that's ABS. PLA would act like that though.

fred50stang

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Bumping this for what looks like an excellent design. I was looking at the link provided to order it through Shapeways. How would I know this is printed with ABS material and 100% fill?

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Bumping this for what looks like an excellent design. I was looking at the link provided to order it through Shapeways. How would I know this is printed with ABS material and 100% fill?
Shapeways uses Nylon12. The process Shapeways uses, either SLS or MJF looks a lot nicer than 3d printing.

Here's the material.
They claim "heat proof" to 325F. That's actually the Vicat softening temp which for their particular Nylon (EOS PA 2200), might be even a bit better than 3d printed ABS.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49