V1G2 Permanent Mount [Prototype]

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've been running the V1G2 pretty happily in it's standard suction cup mount but there are some issues that keep me from loving it.

First, my car's windshield is sloped enough that I have to push the V1 all the way to the front of it's travel in the mount. At that point it seems just about level, but I'd like another couple degrees down tilt that I can't get.

Second, there's really no way to adjust it for level in the drivers side to passenger side axis. I doubt this affects much of anything except for aesthetics, but it's annoying to me and the front rubber on the V1 doesn't hit equally in that case either.

Lastly, I'd like to get it way up on the frits and suction cups just don't work well for that, even with tape or other tricks.

So, since I can't leave well enough alone, I started prototyping a mount that's an evolution of some of my other projects.

1586963594162.png

The above CAD view is my latest revision. Last night I printed the previous revision of the part that attaches to the detector on a new printer I've been messing with at home. It didn't work the best as I can't get the bed hot enough for ABS but I'm still tweaking settings anyway and it's not a design issue. In the new rev above I moved the ball back a bit for better balance and changed the lettering since I didn't want anyone to mistake "OB-G" for something else....LOL

1586963932008.png

I think I may have to tweak the upper mount a bit by moving it further forward but I want o keep the location of the ball on the detector mount because it's close to the center of gravity.

Anyway, just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions!

ETA: Here's Revision 1

BTW, I lied in the video.....Twice.........First I said Rev 2, second, and more importantly..............This thing can be switched around to be used in a front-loading design since there is large range of motion in that direction.

Revision 1 is installed and testing.

Alright, if you want one of these, here are your options:

1. "Meh...Downloading models and getting my own quotes is a lot of work."
Here's your solution. LOL

2. Models to print yourself or send to a printing service:

For RDF Intermediate and Advanced members, the models are available on a donation only basis. Just PM me here and I'll give you the models, donating or not is up to you.

For members below intermediate here on RDF you can PM me here for the models and print them yourselves for $20.

For non-members they are available on CGTrader for $30

The usage license here is that you can download the files and print as many as you want for your own PERSONAL use.

3. 3rd Party Services provided by RDF members.

If you'd like to offer your services to print these off for users yourself, contact me and I will "license" you to do so.

After that, here are the steps:

1. Whomever wants these PM's me or goes to the link for the file, regardless of who's going to be printing them. The act of receiving that file is granting them license for personal use.

2. They send the file or other proof of download to the person offering the print service.

3. The person offering the print service may charge what they feel is necessary for their time and material.

This way those offering the print service don't have to worry about sending me squat and only deal with the person directly. All I ask is that proof is obtained that they received the file from me or have downloaded it from CGTrader, that's it.

I have no control over the print quality of parts printed by others so any problems with that will be between the requester and the person doing the printing.

NOTE: To assemble the final product you will need additional items:

You will need a 5/16-18 tap to tap the holes for the set screws. You don't need to tap them all the way through the hole, just deep enough that you can tighten the lockpin assembly with the set screw.

You will also need a 5/16-18 X 1/2" set screw. If you don't want it to rust you can buy a 300 series stainless steel set screw.

Last edited:

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm probably in for the final version of this too. :)

Vahomboy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I like the idea and it fits the ticket for something I've been looking for. It seems to keep the V1 close and up high out of sight. Better than a mirror mount. You have to do your best in the Communistwealth of VA to keep it hidden.

SteveSteve

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've got a Jeep Wrangler with a near vertical windshield. I'll be ordering a V1G2 when they open again.

I've been looking at some way to attach to the horizontal plastic trim that bumps up against the windshield. I may be able to attach this office binder clip to that trim to give me something solid to mount to.

Will yours attach to the glass or to the roof?

1586979771484.png

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
The plan for the above model is to attach to the glass with 3M or some other adhesive solution. It could certainly attach to other flat surfaces as well though.

The part that attaches to the V1 is actually reversible and is not going to change much from what it looks like now but I've went through like 4 revisions today of the base that attaches to the car. A near-vertical windshield is one of the things I'm thinking about with my design changes as that's come up around here before.

I have to take my printer apart tonight to troubleshoot a bed heating issue but whenever I get that working I'll be doing some more prototyping.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Here's what the first prototype looks like in my car. It will probably work for most people that want a lower profile mount.

IMG_20200415_172202.jpg IMG_20200415_172302.jpg MVIMG_20200415_172209.jpg

VTBogey

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Looks great! Looks like you are using the visor mount as inspiration. Can you do one based off the suction cup mount? I like how the suction cup mount allows you to slide the detector forwards and backwards based on how close you want it to the windshield. Fantastic work!

croup

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ahhh….How I love permanent mounts and only kind I will use.....Take sticky cups and throw them in box and only come out when renting vehicle.....Only thoughts are what you already mentioned...

Sleek/Small as possible to help keep hidden on top area of windshield for those that like it up there...

Adjustable to account for any slope windshield....and room enough away from windshield for detector to level...

And permanent adhesive to keep it there through these hot and humid Alabama days....

Looks good so far.....

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Adjustable to account for any slope windshield....and room enough away from windshield for detector to level...
The second part of that is something I had minor issues with mounting my Gen2. Still isn't perfectly level, because I have to deal with the front of the detector bumping up against the glass. (Granted, I haven't exhausted all the positions, but I noticed that was going to give me issues right away.)

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Awesome, but why didn't you post this before I bought my Blend Mount! :cool:

Question, do both sliders move or just one side? I like the ball idea because it allows for a not so level VHB stick to the windshield with the ball joint allowing for three dimensional leveling for those of us that think it is straight and level then after sticking it find out it is not so level.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Awesome, but why didn't you post this before I bought my Blend Mount! :cool:

Question, do both sliders move or just one side? I like the ball idea because it allows for a not so level VHB stick to the windshield with the ball joint allowing for three dimensional leveling for those of us that think it is straight and level then after sticking it find out it is not so level.
Both sliders? Not sure what you mean? The portion that attaches to the V1 is like the visor holder that comes with it. It just latches on and doesn't slide.

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'd have an interest when you get to that point.

Not to hijack but I was able to use the windshield mount that's on ebay and bevel a couple of fiber flat washers to make it within a degree or two perfectly level.
Post automatically merged:

It's mounted in a 2018 CRV

Attachments

• IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    982.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 140

blulite

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not to hijack but I was able to use the windshield mount that's on ebay and bevel a couple of fiber flat washers to make it within a degree or two perfectly level.
Can you send a link to that mount?

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Both sliders? Not sure what you mean? The portion that attaches to the V1 is like the visor holder that comes with it. It just latches on and doesn't slide.

Sorry @OBeerWANKenobi I was thinking too mechanical and not 3D Printing. Looking at the first Post with the CADs, I was thinking that opposing sliders would "Pinch" the ball on the RD holder to lock it down once in the correct orientation. But instead of a "Slider" adjusting screw (now that I am thinking 3D printing), the Hex screw shown most likely just presses against the ball to hold it at the desired orientation. Since it most likely to be a once or twice only adjustment, it would not be a big deal if the ball joint gets scratched or marred up a little.

By the way, another great thing about your design is that it only needs one V1G2 holder and then as many bases as one has vehicles!

With the only possible issue back to the ball getting some marring which is probably why I was thinking about using two adjustable sliders for multi-vehicle use because multi-vehicle is the second thing I thought of after seeing the Prototype after first thinking what a cool idea.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry @OBeerWANKenobi I was thinking too mechanical and not 3D Printing. Looking at the first Post with the CADs, I was thinking that opposing sliders would "Pinch" the ball on the RD holder to lock it down once in the correct orientation. But instead of a "Slider" adjusting screw (now that I am thinking 3D printing), the Hex screw shown most likely just presses against the ball to hold it at the desired orientation. Since it most likely to be a once or twice only adjustment, it would not be a big deal if the ball joint gets scratched or marred up a little.

By the way, another great thing about your design is that it only needs one V1G2 holder and then as many bases as one has vehicles!

With the only possible issue back to the ball getting some marring which is probably why I was thinking about using two adjustable sliders for multi-vehicle use because multi-vehicle is the second thing I thought of after seeing the Prototype after first thinking what a cool idea.

Don't worry about marring your balls...... ;) This ain't my first rodeo.... :mmmsmug:

1587065670682.png

I had already thought of that. :)

This is my latest version. I gave up on keeping an exact center of gravity in favor of moving the ball forward to fit more windshield angles.

camkuhns

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My solution was to take a 2x3 inch square piece of clear acrylic and VHB tape it to the frits and use the suction cup mount on it since I have several cars that I use.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex