V1 Internal Revision Pictures

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Took apart a dead V1 (Rev C) and compared it with our still working V1 (Rev F) and was pretty surprised to find that the dead motherboard was built over a year ago, and the amount of differences between them. There are also differences in the RF boards between the two. Figured you guys would find these pics interesting.

Also, for reference the issue with dead V1s is not in the main power supply section. The power supply sections are functional on both and they are both drawing exactly the same amount of current. The FPGA is also not dead on the dead one; it's communicating with the DDR memory. The issue is that something is causing the freescale CPU to lock up - could be a power thing where a voltage rail is dropping, could be a FW thing, etc. Not going to devote a ton more time to figuring it out since the revisions are so different here. I would be very curious to see what revision the failing V1s are though; my revision F looks pretty refined compared to the revision C.

Revision C Motherboard: note the hand-cut trace on the main connector. That trace led to a clock.

DSC00781.jpg

Revision F Motherboard - trace removed from the factory, no need to hand cut

DSC00782.jpg

Revision C Motherboard on top: lots of passives that were removed in Rev F below and another hand cut trace

DSC00783.jpg
DSC00784.jpg

Rev C motherboard on top: power supply section slightly shifted and reworked compared to Rev F - no impact on performance that I can tell

DSC00786.jpg
DSC00787.jpg

Rev C motherboard on top: slight rework to the speaker drive section

DSC00788.jpg
DSC00789.jpg

That's it for the main motherboard. Now let's look at the RF pcb. For this the two re visions are Rev. C and Rev E.

Rev C RF PCB on top: Two things to notice here - first, notice the hand fix bridging two pins on the connector with a resistor. Second, the component labeled 103c (inductor) has been switched for revision F.

DSC00790.jpg
DSC00791.jpg

Revision C RF PCB on top: This is interesting, there is a hand fix on both revision C and F (the diagonally soldered component). Also note different passive components to the left of the IC in the middle of the PCB.

DSC00792.jpg
DSC00793.jpg

Rev C RF PCB on top: This one is really interesting to me. The end of the microstrip has different geometries between the two. This would impact RF performance. I am not sure which one is "better." Note how one is a circle and the other one is a rectangle.

DSC00797.jpg
DSC00798.jpg

Finally, revision numbers for reference:

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

Last edited:

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the comparison photos and digging into the differences!

GoWFO

If you have to go... GoWFO!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Very Cool, to see it. Thanks for posting

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Serial numbers of the the two?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Last 4?

Nine_C1

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
"...…...Rev C RF PCB on top: This one is really interesting to me. The end of the microstrip has different geometries between the two. This would impact RF performance. I am not sure which one is "better." Note how one is a circle and the other one is a rectangle."

That's just the pad for the microstrip connection to the ridged horn. I highly doubt it makes any difference here.......in fact, I'm sure it doesn't.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
"...…...Rev C RF PCB on top: This one is really interesting to me. The end of the microstrip has different geometries between the two. This would impact RF performance. I am not sure which one is "better." Note how one is a circle and the other one is a rectangle."

That's just the pad for the microstrip connection to the ridged horn. I highly doubt it makes any difference here.......in fact, I'm sure it doesn't.
Any difference in geometry whatsoever anywhere on the microstrip will effect performance from a technical standpoint. May or may not be significant (I'm guessing nobody will ever notice), but it will.

Vehicle 1

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not that I know what I'm talking about... but putting together all the clues that I've come across, seems like a FW problem could very well be the reason for the power issue. Maybe that is why the fix turnaround time has been so quick without VR being fully open.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems strange they would release two different versions at the same time of a new product. I wonder if it was a money issue and didn't want to waste, an actual Improvement that they had time to do because of whatever delay in release there was, or just a change to make production easier without performance differences.

Thanks for the insight, you Rock Jon!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jon! Ugh, now I want to open mine and see what's under the hood.
Not that I know what I'm talking about... but putting together all the clues that I've come across, seems like a FW problem could very well be the reason for the power issue. Maybe that is why the fix turnaround time has been so quick without VR being fully open.

As I understand it from previous information, they're just doing a quick swap out of the bad board/boards.

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Gonna keep this private for now to protect the person that sent it in to us.
Any potential pattern differences between the two that you notice?

And how intrusive was the opening process? Would love to know which revision I have but obviously don't want to risk getting my warranty voided by opening the case if I still have a failure in my future.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Any potential pattern differences between the two that you notice?

And how intrusive was the opening process? Would love to know which revision I have but obviously don't want to risk getting my warranty voided by opening the case if I still have a failure in my future.
It's super easy to open, four screws and you're done. The screws aren't covered by stickers.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If we really want to know what is going on during repair, send in the broken on in, then see what comes back inside.
On mine, the firmware version was the same before and after the repair.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos and the info. It's interesting to see that different hardware revisions are all being reported with the same firmware version of 4.1018. We saw the firmware number change on the Gen 1's between 3.8945 and 3.8952 when they changed components that didn't have any impact to performance or features so it's a little surprising to not see the same thing happen here.

Reactions: Bev

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I want you to do the same and post the revisions of the Pro M and RC M for us :)

SilenceDogoodNinja

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Jon. Was thinking to myself that the bumpy roads I have been on while plugged in would have seriously tested the power connection as every bump was making me whine!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef