Apple Watch Take II (or is it III or is it IV)

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Just released Beta on revamped Watch implementation. Almost complete do over. I was starting to lose hope that it wasn't gonna be doable. Apple is VERY strict on Apple Watch API rules and quotas etc. There is even a possibility they reject what I did when I release to the App Store. I had to enable gps in order to keep it running in the background (which is a bit dumb because the app doesn't need the gps) but it is not using the gps Hardware. So it's still extremely light weight and uses about 1% CPU on the watch (when V1 is connected to iPhone).

Feature - Apple Watch now has a Complication. Only one format is supported at the moment, called Modular Large (that's the big one in the middle of the Modular Watch Face). Other formats will come if this one goes smooth. You may have to touch the complication or Notification once to start V1Driver App.

Enhanced - The V1Driver Watch App can now run in background. You will see the "gps" Icon enabled at the top of the watch when V1Driver App is running in Foreground or Background. This is running in the lowest accuracy mode (3 kilometers) and will use very little battery and only uses gps when the iPhone is connected to the V1. Sometimes the gps icon lags going away when, gps has been shut off.

Apple Watch Requirements - Apple WatchOS 4.0 or greater is now required. Apple Watch Series 1 - 5 should work and you do not need a gps Hardware option for full functionality.

Last edited:

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is this a standalone app or is it used in conjunction with an iPhone?

onesixeight

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What’s the advantage of having V1 driver on the modular large complication?

Is it to allow the watch user to confirm that V1 GPS is enabled?

Is it possible for the complication to show the last frequency hit? The main reason I look at my watch is when I get a Ka hit, I want to see the frequency to check if it’s legit. I know the watch leaves a notification with each hit and the frequency but it requires me to pull down the notification if I don’t look at it immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
What’s the advantage of having V1 driver on the modular large complication?

Is it to allow the watch user to confirm that V1 GPS is enabled?

Is it possible for the complication to show the last frequency hit? The main reason I look at my watch is when I get a Ka hit, I want to see the frequency to check if it’s legit. I know the watch leaves a notification with each hit and the frequency but it requires me to pull down the notification if I don’t look at it immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is so little room on the watch I think it makes most sense to show "current status".

I'm not sure if one app can have multiple complications of the same style, I believe it can.

Your use case makes sense though. And the natural thing would be to add it to the "prior" timeline.
But that would require fiddling with the watch too.

Actually my favorite thing about the complication is, it's the quickest way to launch the App :).
But if you want to run in a "Stealthy" mode, say on a business trip you could run everything silent and just monitor the watch. The Notifications are pretty extensive too but some people might prefer the complication.

Now that it runs in background I might be able to have custom vibration patterns for different bands etc.
Lot more to do, to make it worth while.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is this a standalone app or is it used in conjunction with an iPhone?
It still requires being paired to iPhone.

I'm pretty sure it won't be able to connect to V1 without intervention on the watch standalone. Without that, I think it's usefulness goes way down.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Just released to Beta.

Enhanced - Full suite of Complications (11) for Apple Watch. Changed required WatchOS from 4.0 to 5.0
Enhanced - Recordings now include RSSI (bluetooth strength), mainly for debugging.
Enhanced - Does not do Haptic notify if watch is "Active" (being viewed).
Bug - Mute State going to Complication was not correct.

Note that in some watch faces I'm not allowed to use Color (it has to obey the theme color) See 2nd and Last Face.
When possible the Complication will be greyed out if the Alert is Muted (See 3rd vs 4th face).

If you use multiple V1Driver Complications things start to get inconsistent. I think it starts to throttle things and they don't all update.

49775630447_7768bf5f35_o_d.png
49775630437_03c2c73242_o_d.png
49775630432_5b4b057e01_o_d.png
49774768433_3d4f9c5778_o_d.png
49775297446_4d48521996_o_d.png
49774768428_7343229098_o_d.png
49775297436_c07dd7a4cf_o_d.png
49775714732_1cfb5574b0_o_d.png

Last edited:

Vancity23

(Lexus IS-F)
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well done, thats very cool. As an Ios user, maybe an app for Theia...

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This is so cool. I’ve been playing with it and I’m loving what you’re doing and the improvements you’re making. :)

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dang. I really want to stick with my R7 that I believe in but I would be lying if I said the watch complications are not making me think about owning two detectors. Ha

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got a Series 5 celluar 44mm. I've never had a smart watch before. I'm digging it! But while I drove around for a bit last night running a small errand, no signals were to be found. Looking forward to seeing how this adds. I'm running the face set up like this for now until I get more comfortable with more stylish options (and battery life expectations, etc). I just got it yesterday so I’m not really sure what stuff I’ll end up actually using most often so it may all get rearranged and under a difference face.

1591206827711.png

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I just got a Series 5 celluar 44mm. I've never had a smart watch before. I'm digging it! But while I drove around for a bit last night running a small errand, no signals were to be found. Looking forward to seeing how this adds. I'm running the face set up like this for now until I get more comfortable with more stylish options (and battery life expectations, etc). I just got it yesterday so I’m not really sure what stuff I’ll end up actually using most often so it may all get rearranged and under a difference face.

View attachment 149357
Keep us posted. I really liked the apple watch. Wish I could find a good screen protector for it. The one I bought keeps popping off.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is a case really necessary for these aluminum watches? I’d rather not.
I’ve never scratched mine but my wife did a number on hers.

Mine is also a 5 series with cellular (activated) and with no protection (like when Bush whacking) I’ll tend to not want to risk wearing it. To expensive.

I really like this one because it’s invisible but it won’t stay on

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084L45DBW

I know others that get the softer pliable type (5 pack) but those fall off too.

The one @thanks has looks pretty good for a “case” (which I’ve tried to avoid).

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of screen protectors. They scratch and break a lot easier the actual screen, and I’m not convinced they actually do anything for you. For now I’ll probably just take my chances :)

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
After having a Series 1 screen shatter on me (out of warranty), I now get these. The S1 did have hairline scratches that were not highly visible, but they were there. WHen I got the S4, I wanted and ordered just the screen protector, but also the "case". I put the case on, and have not taken it off since then! I have the watch to use. It's great and able to notify when I could miss items from the cell itself. If I wont wear it when I need it, it doesnt serve its purpose.... and if I can offer it some "additional" protection, I will.

Early on with the S1, I ordered a "case" and it was VERY visible and looked like sh!t. So I didnt bother after that, until the screen shattered...
Post automatically merged:

BTW, the iWatch is the only thing keeping me tied to an iPhone! After many years of using a 6plus, the screen shattered. At the time, I was considering switching to my samsung relegated to ALP/waze duty, but I realized that I wasnt necessarily hooked on the iphone, but rather the iWatch now!

Last edited:

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I wear the stainless so it has the sapphire crystal display which is much harder to scratch. I have not been able to do it in daily use. My previous two were aluminum and even then I had pretty good luck but did get a few small scratches that you could only see at an angle. No plans to return to aluminum. If you can do it, stainless every other year is perfect for me. I plan to get whatever Series 6 happens to add and currently have the 4 with cellular plan.

Vancity23

(Lexus IS-F)
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of screen protectors. They scratch and break a lot easier the actual screen, and I’m not convinced they actually do anything for you. For now I’ll probably just take my chances :)
Funny I experienced the same thing as now have no screen protector, which is a-little dangerous, but it sure is nice without one...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette