Not open for further replies.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I just heard back from VR regarding the power off and light bleed issues. They've got fixes available for both issues now and have asked me to help share this info with everyone so here's what to do if you're experiencing an issue with your V1 Gen2 during the COVID-19 shutdown:

Contact [email protected] and let them know about your issue. This email address has been set up specifically for any problems with early V1 Gen2's. They'll be able to send you a return shipping label for your detector so they can take care of it. They only accept return packages that have specifically been sent return labels first. Any other packages won't be processed if sent and they're unable to answer phone calls right now so you'll need to email them at [email protected] to set up a repair.

Now a little more info about the issues. They've been monitoring the forums to keep track of the issues people are having with V1 Gen2 and are responding by making changes to the V1 itself and to their production process.

Regarding the V1 Gen2 power issue, they have come up with a fix and have already shipped it to a few people that sent their units in for repair. All units that ship after they resume operation from the COVID-19 shutdown will have that fix in place. Anyone with the power issue should send an email to the address above.

Regarding the light bleed issue, it appears that they had some assembly problems that were addressed before the shutdown. Anyone with light bleed issues should also send an email to the address above.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regarding the V1 Gen2 power issue, they have come up with a fix and have already shipped it to a few people that sent their units in for repair.
Any more details on what the fix entails? Was it a bad batch of components, or was the wrong component specced?

In other words, do they expect all March units to fail at some point, or just some?

Warpath

PSL + 1.21 Jigawatts
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Vortex Thanks for being a liaison. This should help lift some spirits!

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@Vortex, your interview with MV was perfect timing and am relieved that you have their ear and participate here on RDF!
Thanks! ( After a month of great performance, my V1G2 bit the power ghost today)

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Regarding the V1 Gen2 power issue, they have come up with a fix and have already shipped it to a few people that sent their units in for repair. All units that ship after they resume operation from the COVID-19 shutdown will have that fix in place. Anyone with the power issue should send an email to the address above.
Any more details on what the fix entails? Was it a bad batch of components, or was the wrong component specced?

In other words, do they expect all March units to fail at some point, or just some?
Surfacing this question from the other massive thread in case it gets lost and hoping @Vortex will be able to ask Mike V this:

Will there be a repair program for existing non-failed units or any kind of warranty extension?

If not, I think it will make sense for those of us who bought early but have not yet had a failure to request a return. I'd hate to have a $500 device that I planned on keeping for years risk failing one day out of warranty.

Normally I'd be happy to wait until after Covid for this, but I don't want to miss the 30 day window and be stuck hoping my device fails within the warranty period so I can get the fixed version. All they really need to do is announce a warranty extension or return window extension and I think they'd make a lot of us early adopters feel comfortable holding onto our V1G2s.

Btw thanks for relaying all of this info back to the forum and keeping us up to date Vortex! They should really be paying you for handling customer support and social media relations for them lol

Last edited:

SilenceDogoodNinja

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would imagine us "March" invoice people should be covered longer than the average bear in terms of repairs and warranty as it is now a "known" issue. I hope mine never breaks but I appreciate this information! Thanks!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Stickied and tagged for visibility. Will unstick when early units are taken care of.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So I asked about fixes for non-failed units and they said that they don't want people sending their detectors in preemptively. People should wait to see if they have a problem.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Honestly guys, that sounds like a bandaid fix at the moment. 😬 Sounds to me like they might have found something, design wise, at board/component level they didn’t expect and it will eventually need a hardware revision to fix. Everything currently produced if being “fixed” but I don’t think this was a bad component batch issue, as we had originally thought. I could be wrong on this and I hope I am, but if I’m not, that means a ton of $500 detectors will be in people’s hands with “workaround fixes” in place rather than truly design-proper fixes.

God I really hope I’m wrong on this.

Last edited:

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So I asked about fixes for non-failed units and they said that they don't want people sending their detectors in preemptively. People should wait to see if they have a problem.
Damn, that sucks. I get that they wouldn't want a flood of returns right now but if this is a known defect then I think they owe it to their early adopters to at least guarantee a fix eventually (whether that be a repair of a non-failed unit or a warranty extension).

This is also going to make the used market for V1G2's tricky. Especially with the non-transferrable warranty.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Great job @Vortex ! I never had any doubt that MV would come through on this! My V1G2 is a killer and I have no intention of getting rid of it! I have more than enough backup if and when mine bites the dust! I'll just send it back if need be and let them fix it. What I've seen from mine so far makes it worth a couple of hiccups IMHO!

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish they would share the exact problem that way the ones who do not 'currently' have this issue would know if this will fail later on down the line.

I feel like this could end up being like that air bag recalls - They recalled the ones is the southern states first, then the middle, then the north as the issue was temp/humidity defendant and the greatest risk was obvious. They were ALL bad, but you were told your vehicle was 'ok' until they were done servicing others that wore 'more important' than you. Once they got done with those the letter came in the mail letting you know your passenger could be killed if it deployed.

I wonder if they will issue a 'recall' of sorts once the faulty ones are repaired and they are back open and caught up. It would not look good for them if this issue was still out there a year from now. The one positive is that since they sell direct they have contact info for everyone who purchased one, which would make the process that much easier.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. I get that they wouldn't want a flood of returns right now but if this is a known defect then I think they owe it to their early adopters to at least guarantee a fix eventually (whether that be a repair of a non-failed unit or a warranty extension).

This is also going to make the used market for V1G2's tricky. Especially with the non-transferrable warranty.
Usually when stuff like this happens, manufacturers tend to goodwill-repair units that have failed for the known reason for years even without a formal service campaign announcement. But depending on the percentage of units they expect to fail, it's pretty typical to not update all the units. Even your favorite devices like smartphones and cars go through dozens and dozens of running changes and it's not reasonable or expected that you are swapped out for the latest generation of the product you bought every time....

But in the spirit of integrity, if they really do expect that all early manufactured units have this defect and it's a matter of time for it to fail, I really do expect that they launch some sort of service campaign or extended warranty duration for affected units

@Vortex did VR say anything about the software related issues we've been noting? In particular the way signal strength is reported for IO shots seems like the biggest and easiest to reproduce/fix issue with the most widespread customer impact.

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Vortex

That's welcome news.

I agree with the others and the early adopters of the V1G2 and the warranty period indefinitely being extended since it seems to be a manufacture or design flaw. Sort of like a soft factory recall.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish they would share the exact problem that way the ones who do not 'currently' have this issue would know if this will fail later on down the line.

I feel like this could end up being like that air bag recalls - They recalled the ones is the southern states first, then the middle, then the north as the issue was temp/humidity defendant and the greatest risk was obvious. They were ALL bad, but you were told your vehicle was 'ok' until they were done servicing others that wore 'more important' than you. Once they got done with those the letter came in the mail letting you know your passenger could be killed if it deployed.
I don't think it's typical or normal for manufacturers to be that open/forward about manufacturing processes and defects. The ability to design and manufacture products is often a secret sauce component that they consider a competitive advantage.

The airbag recalls are a lot like the current mask situation.... There were far more failing units than supply for replacing them. prioritizing them by seriousness and likelihood of failure seems like the best that can be done. Just like as much as I'd love to buy a 120 day disposable supply of 3M masks right, every one that I buy is one I'm taking away from an emergency worker who needs it more.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I dunno about your airbag recall comparison. Your car still works without an airbag. This is more like, we found a problem with your car’s wiring harness and we’re going to implement a fix to make it work, but future production runs will have a correct fix redesigned into them on something we overlooked.

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I told you so. Although this is so unlike-Mike, I pretty much expected it. This is why I wait now. I had several issues early on with my R1/3 units and they were resolved shortly. One, like @Vortex V1Gen2 was DOA after a few weeks of use. Seems like electronics these days are subject to the vagaries of production or components. My opinion: Let Mike V resolve these early adopter issues and wait a few months to buy one. YMMV.....

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dunno about your airbag recall comparison. Your car still works without an airbag. This is more like, we found a problem with your car’s wiring harness and we’re going to implement a fix to make it work, but future production runs will have a correct fix redesigned into them on something we overlooked.
It all depends on the failure rate. Running changes happen all the time where components are replaced with other ones that might be better either because they're cheaper or because they correct an issue. Whether or not a proactive campaign is warranted really depends on the integrity of the manufacturer AND how serious/widespread of an issue they expect it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef