Should I keep or sell my Gen.2?

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
469
Reaction score
661
Location
Chicago, Illinois
The only reason as to why I am considering this is because I don't want my detector to die on me as well, like my cousins new Gen. 2 did.
Or should I stick it out, because so far it is working fine?
 

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
2,090
Location
Vancouver/NY2LA
I think there nothing to loose keeping it. Testing looked good as far as we were able to do.
 

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
469
Reaction score
661
Location
Chicago, Illinois
Keep it. I am.
What's the point of panicking, there's enough of that elsewhere. Do you have a back up detector?
At the present moment I do not, should I go ahead and acquire a used detector just in case?
Post automatically merged:

MV has been prompt in repair of failed unit, until COVID-19 struck. I'd keep it.
Thanks, as that's what I was planning on doing.
 

Woodekr

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
22
Reaction score
17
Age
53
Having been an owner of many upgraded units since the very beginning, I have TOTAL confidence in Valentine correcting any problems people have. They have always gone above and beyond for me - at least when I went through upgrades.
 

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
469
Reaction score
661
Location
Chicago, Illinois
Having been an owner of many upgraded units since the very beginning, I have TOTAL confidence in Valentine correcting any problems people have. They have always gone above and beyond for me - at least when I went through upgrades.
Alright, I will in good faith consider keeping this detector. Having been a previous v1 user myself I personally love this product.
 

alee

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Mar 16, 2016
Messages
75
Reaction score
136
May as well keep it. It's not like Valentine Research is able to process your refunds anyway.

If it's a bad batch, they'll eventually recall it. If it breaks on you, you were at least able to enjoy it for a while longer until it broke, at which point they'll replace it when they're able to.

Ditching it now for something that might never happen to you seems a little extreme. We're not talking about recalled Takata airbags here - this is more of an inconvenience being w/o a detector in the midst of an inconvenient time where you can't get immediate replacements.
 

NorEaster18

Probably stuck in traffic...
Advanced User
Joined
Sep 5, 2018
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
3,469
Location
The North Shore
Keep it. It would not be in good faith to sell it to someone knowing that it can die on them. Mike probably will come up with a fix, and you will be all set. But if he doesn't, it would be really not cool of you to pass that along (with no warranty) to an unexpected purchaser.

With that said, with how things are trending right now, it may be worth it to pick up a backup detector. R1s are pretty cheap at this point. It's pretty good practice to have a backup anyways, just in case. I keep a backup in case my R3 ever flops (not that I think it will). Hope you never have to use your "insurance policy" detector. But if you do, you are prepared. And, you are better prepared to weather out these bad QC issues until the V1G2 is a proven platform
 

Nine_C1

Advanced User
Premium Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
12,481
Alright, I will in good faith consider keeping this detector. Having been a previous v1 user myself I personally love this product.
I don't care if mine catches on fire and explodes...…….it's simply too good to not have. :happyanim:

We're not talking about a crappy detector with quality issues, we're talking about a GREAT detector........with quality issues.:laugh: They'll get it sorted out. I like how repairs were given priority up until the shut down. This is how a reputable company operates, taking care of existing customers first.

In my line of business with the money customers spend quality is job #1. That doesn't mean we don't have issues with our products in the field...…...what it does mean is you drop what your doing and the new orders take a back seat until your existing customer is taken care of.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater!
 

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Joined
Nov 8, 2018
Messages
542
Reaction score
759
Location
Ohio/PA
MV has been prompt in repair of failed unit, until COVID-19 struck. I'd keep it.
Well except for the entire past year when they were out of stock, right? Or did they have some units held back for repairs? They've definitely been on a streak of bad luck or slow engineering or something recently.

That being said selling seems rash. I'm considering sending an email requesting a refund if we haven't heard anything by the day my 30 day return period comes around. Figure we'll either know more by the time they are out of self-quarantine or if not I'll go ahead and return the unit and re-buy once things are figured out (or Theia is available). If I didn't have my "old" Max 360c still around I may not be as quick to do so though. On the other hand, V1G1's are fairly cheap right now, it may make sense to pick one of those up while you wait.
 

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
May 12, 2016
Messages
5,158
Reaction score
10,496
Location
The Tail Lights Pulling Away From You
Sorry if I missed it, and I’ve been following it...... but who has had a chance to send their’s in for the power supply issue... had it fixed.... and have it back before the virus shutdown?

If that’s has happened... was there any reason listed on the paperwork that came back with the detector? How long was the turn around?
 

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
4,143
Reaction score
5,416
At the present moment I do not, should I go ahead and acquire a used detector just in case?
Post automatically merged:
I would if you have any long trips planned. And according to Murphys law, if you get a spare the Gen 2 will never fail.
Post automatically merged:

Well except for the entire past year when they were out of stock, right? Or did they have some units held back for repairs? They've definitely been on a streak of bad luck or slow engineering or something recently.
Did I miss something? I don't recall any complaints about VR not doing repairs while Gen 1 was out of stock. I'd assume they carry parts even if whole units were not available.
Surely you don't think they cannabilise new detectors to repair old ones?
 
Last edited:

Bossdad71

Advanced User
Premium Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
7,633
Reaction score
11,133
Location
Kansas
Imo every detector that has been made, updated, has always had issues at 1st. Ita a crap shoot, just like when the r1 and 3came out. Awesome range. But the screen issue, then the plug etc. I think the bugs will work there way out, and the v1g2 will make a great addition to your family :) u can name it, tuck it in at night, Sing to it, like @KASHER1979 does his
 

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Joined
Dec 7, 2014
Messages
4,039
Reaction score
7,525
Location
Central NC
Sorry if I missed it, and I’ve been following it...... but who has had a chance to send their’s in for the power supply issue... had it fixed.... and have it back before the virus shutdown?

If that’s has happened... was there any reason listed on the paperwork that came back with the detector? How long was the turn around?
I recall several had sent it back and got it back (maybe less than 10). Several others had sent it back and the shutdown occurred. One member physically drove over there and had it fixed while he waited - maybe 10 minutes. The board was replaced.
 
Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
10,975
Reaction score
25,916
Location
Lone Star State
Keep it. It would not be in good faith to sell it to someone knowing that it can die on them. Mike probably will come up with a fix, and you will be all set. But if he doesn't, it would be really not cool of you to pass that along (with no warranty) to an unexpected purchaser.

With that said, with how things are trending right now, it may be worth it to pick up a backup detector. R1s are pretty cheap at this point. It's pretty good practice to have a backup anyways, just in case. I keep a backup in case my R3 ever flops (not that I think it will). Hope you never have to use your "insurance policy" detector. But if you do, you are prepared. And, you are better prepared to weather out these bad QC issues until the V1G2 is a proven platform
I agree with @NorEaster18 on the issue of selling. Especially since MV is very clear about warranty not transferring. Wouldn't be fair or ethical to sell to someone knowing that a known problem may crop up in the future and they will have no warranty to get it fixed. Unless you are very clear about both the known issue and lack of warranty transferability when you sell. But I'd keep it.
 
Last edited:

Woodekr

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
22
Reaction score
17
Age
53
Hopefully the problem is a consistent one, that Valentine can diagnose, correct, and solve with quick turn around of repaired units - that is if its a hardware issue.

Sort of - speaking of, can anyone tell me where the "Update version" or software update is on the V1 app or JVB1? I wanted to update my V1 Gen2 as soon as I got it (to make sure it was the latest out of the box - you never know), and couldn't find it. I assume there is a place to upgrade in the future, but I couldnt find it in the App or on-line. THANKS!!!
 

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
7,051
Reaction score
9,417
Valentine HAS been correcting and returning V1G2's with this issue before the shutdown went into place. One member stopped by their offices and indicated a 15 min turnaround time for the repair.

If you don't like it or don't trust it, I would ask for a refund. If you like it, keep on using it. If it fails, V1 will take care of you once they re-open. Unless you were selling it to jon at radenso, who was looking for a dead unit, I wouldnt at this time. Imagine it does die shortly after the sale, your buyer would be pissed. @HamSolo didnt you sell a V1.1?
 

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
1,562
Reaction score
2,632
Location
Alabama
Hopefully the problem is a consistent one, that Valentine can diagnose, correct, and solve with quick turn around of repaired units - that is if its a hardware issue.

Sort of - speaking of, can anyone tell me where the "Update version" or software update is on the V1 app or JVB1? I wanted to update my V1 Gen2 as soon as I got it (to make sure it was the latest out of the box - you never know), and couldn't find it. I assume there is a place to upgrade in the future, but I couldnt find it in the App or on-line. THANKS!!!
No update app or link is available.....Never has been....All Gen1 units had to returned to Valentine1 for updates....However, V1 has stated any updates that become available will be able to be updated via app or download....Will they be free? No one knows except MikeV..
 

rvacs

Scanning da Road
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2014
Messages
325
Reaction score
577
Location
Austin, TX
I am keeping mine (V1Gen2 still working)...sure they will come up with a fix for those that have come out with this issue...wouldn't surprise me if they are working on a fix behind the scenes now so they are ready for the rush when they do open up the rest of the office. Offered to loan mine to @Vortex for testing.
 

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
86,625
Messages
1,317,645
Members
21,815
Latest member
Jcthome
Top