ID this Laser unit...

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I was coming out of the East bound Hampton Roads Bay bridge tunnel, and TMG went off say Dragon Eye. Thoughts on what this is?

0406201154k.jpg

HRBlzr.JPG

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Stumped.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe related to this?

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hmm. Not a clue. In because of curiosity though...

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't think VA has speed cameras outside of work zones and I haven't seen anything like that before. If I had to guess, it's for automated tolling and/or height restrictions.

@VariableWave, in the second photo looks like there is a logo on the post. It's not clear in the photo but possibly the next time through there you can get a closer look and Google it.

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think VA has speed cameras outside of work zones and I haven't seen anything like that before. If I had to guess, it's for automated tolling and/or height restrictions.

@VariableWave, in the second photo looks like there is a logo on the post. It's not clear in the photo but possibly the next time through there you can get a closer look and Google it.
Next time I am in that area, I will try for a better shot. Tolls, at the moment are not being used on the HRBT.... curious if a License plate reader or monitoring system. This was on the exit of the tunnel, so height not thinking it would be. I concerned me as I was over the PSL by a nice number, waiting a potential Ticket, though would be surprise at that as well. Since this is a military area, with outside plates, taxes the locals would suck [email protected]$.

Too3zln

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Man I hope none of this stuff comes to my area. I am pretty fortunate.

Autotech198

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last edited:

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have one 20 feet from the door a first defense, then the specials further back. I checked the links, they do not line up to the provided . Cameras for HRBT do not have exiting of the tunnel as I indicated. I know City of Chesapeake has IR cams on light posts, V1G1/RL-O alerts to. Only thing I can thus far, say plate Cams for Big Rigs.

Autotech198

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have one 20 feet from the door a first defense, then the specials further back. I checked the links, they do not line up to the provided . Cameras for HRBT do not have exiting of the tunnel as I indicated. I know City of Chesapeake has IR cams on light posts, V1G1/RL-O alerts to. Only thing I can thus far, say plate Cams for Big Rigs.
There should be a number to call on the camera.

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
A lot of new toll monitoring ("cashless tolling" and "transponder-less tolling") using license plate readers - read the rear license plate after you pass (I believe NY reads both front & rear). They use intense IR diode lighting to avoid killing driver's night vision, but the switching power supplies cause rapidly pulsing light output. This wreaks havoc on most LIDAR sensors.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hummmmm...... I'm believing that it's a plate reader like others have already mentioned.

I know that this is going to bug you until you find out what it truly is, so I'm looking forward to what you find out.

Token

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A lot of new toll monitoring ("cashless tolling" and "transponder-less tolling") using license plate readers - read the rear license plate after you pass (I believe NY reads both front & rear). They use intense IR diode lighting to avoid killing driver's night vision, but the switching power supplies cause rapidly pulsing light output. This wreaks havoc on most LIDAR sensors.
I don't know what they use in Florida, But in Jacksonville last year one of those mail in toll situations got my rear plate at 0400 local time (good and dark) in an impressive downpour. And whatever non-visible light source they used set off my R7, which never laser alerts on anything (except for laser alerts on radar, but that is a different story). I knew the toll was there, but as heavy as it was raining I was slightly surprised when the toll bill actually arrived.

T!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallm2020