V1G2 vs Falcon HR (Low Powered K Band) C/O---GR Course

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
1586194864030.png

Here's an option for one man testing.
A couple dollars at a hardware store and shape a PVC pipe to suit your handheld gun.
Rubber bands on the trigger.
You could use PVC glue to attach a flat piece under the vertical pipe if a bigger base is required.
No end to possible solutions for us lone testers, just limits to the imagination.
Nice testing, thanks for a setup simulating your real life enforcement.

Last edited:

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
View attachment 144153

Here's an option for one man testing.
A couple dollars at a hardware store and shape a PVC pipe to suit your handheld gun.
Rubber bands on the trigger.
You could use PVC glue to attach a flat piece under the vertical pipe if a bigger base is required.
No end to possible solutions for us lone testers, just limits to the imagination.
Nice testing, thanks for a setup simulating your real life enforcement.
Great idea!

Nine_C1

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think it's more a matter of the plane (horizontal vs. vertical) in which the the waves travel. At least if I am reading @Nine_C1's very informative post from ER back in the day correctly, and if there is nothing about the patch array antenna that makes it different. But if I am wrong (I'm certainly no expert), someone please correct me.

Exactomundo.

Polarity is the key. It's why mobile radars use circular and Vertical polarity and most photo radars use Horizontal. Mobiles need range and a decent angle of view to capture opposite lane targets, particularly across a median. The LEOs don't want to have to precisely aim their antennas and that would be especially hard with the one on the back dash.

Photo radars, on the other hand, want that very precise pencil beam angled across traffic to pick out very specific targets in a group. For that, you intentionally do not want or need much target range.........so horizontal polarization is perfect.

Polarity even plays a role with receiving a circularly polarized single with a linear (pyramidal horn) antenna that we all have in our detectors.

If you have some time to kill, check out this old thread on rd.net. It's a long but rather interesting one.....a rather heated debate between this amateur and the world's most authoritative RD figure ever known and his engineer from Whislter. Just be sure to watch the mic drop (video) at the end. Polarity matters.

Last edited:

DrHow

Cloaked
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I remember signal strength bring reduced when it's on its side, I can test that in a couple hours or so with measures signal strength.
1. Did you follow-up & do some Testing ?
2. When remembering your "signal strength being reduced" - where were you positioned when firing your FalconHR ?

I gained some surprising insight about this gun today w/ some additional empirical Testing at the same exact location as in my Post #18 here.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
1. Did you follow-up & do some Testing ?
2. When remembering your "signal strength being reduced" - where were you positioned when firing your FalconHR ?

I gained some surprising insight about this gun today w/ some additional empirical Testing at the same exact location as in my Post #18 here.
OK, I'll bite. Care to elaborate on your surprising insight?

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not yet, I was waiting to see if @Jon at Radenso was going to Post his FalconHR results. I now believe I understand the "why" of the oddities some Testers have noticed w/ this particular gun. A 2nd independent Tester results could confirm what I found today w/ a lil' deeper dive.

My results from a few days ago had been what I didn't expect- its been bothering me since, & that's why I went out again this morning.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Not yet, I was waiting to see if @Jon at Radenso was going to Post his FalconHR results. I now believe I understand the "why" of the oddities some Testers have noticed w/ this particular gun. A 2nd independent Tester results could confirm what I found today w/ a lil' deeper dive.

My results from a few days ago had been what I didn't expect- its been bothering me since, & that's why I went out again this morning.

Sorry I've been slow getting back to you guys on this.

I did get significant signal loss when rotating the gun. In transparency, all I did was look at the power level of the signal when matching polarity with the antenna and then rotated, I didn't do any more in depth analysis.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry I've been slow getting back to you guys on this.

I did get significant signal loss when rotating the gun. In transparency, all I did was look at the power level of the signal when matching polarity with the antenna and then rotated, I didn't do any more in depth analysis.
No problem Jon, you've got a lot going on w/ circumstances beyond your control w/ work suspension.

One ques. for ya' - Were you "in-car" shooting the HR ?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
No problem Jon, you've got a lot going on w/ circumstances beyond your control w/ work suspension.

One ques. for ya' - Were you "in-car" shooting the HR ?

No, was at a desk powering the HR from a lab power supply. Distance between antenna and HR was about 6ft.

Did you notice something different in car vs. on the bench?

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, was at a desk powering the HR from a lab power supply. Distance between antenna and HR was about 6ft.
hmmm - that doesn't track what I saw today, but I'm surprised at your results considering you had reflections/refractions bouncing around from all directions inside a bldg.....unless your millimeter Lab is actually an Anechoic chamber. ;)

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
hmmm - that doesn't track what I saw today, but I'm surprised at your results considering you had reflections/refractions bouncing around from all directions inside a bldg.....unless your millimeter Lab is actually an Anechoic chamber. ;)

Where I took the measurements was not in a chamber, however the high amount of averaging involved with creating the waterfall view pretty much eliminates momentary spurious reflections from impacting the visual display of the signal. I'll post up a video next time I'm at the office (probably monday).

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Where I took the measurements was not in a chamber, however the high amount of averaging involved with creating the waterfall view pretty much eliminates momentary spurious reflections from impacting the visual display of the signal. I'll post up a video next time I'm at the office (probably monday).
Ok - no rush.
I'll find a 2nd party to run the same Tests as I did- w/ their own FalconHR & then compare our Test results.
Post automatically merged:

Did you notice something different in car vs. on the bench?
I did, but no bench used here - mine were "in-car" & "exterior-of-car" !

Last edited:

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso - rather see you devote 100% attention to Theia instead of FalconHR trivia non-issue.

I would welcome crowdsourcing of members who own FalconHRs to do some peer review of subject matter following.....

1. FalconHR Shooter at distant hilltop & firing (Driver window down) at landmark where I'm parked.
My 1st Test was the long range 5.5mi Free Space ultimate sensitivity Test. The R7, RedLine-O & V1Gen1 on Driver sun visor 1 at a time:

FalconHR in normal upright position
R7 - alert
RedLine - alert
V1 - no alert

FalconHR in gangsta position
R7 - no alert <---hmmm
RedLine - no alert <---"
V1 - no alert <---"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Road Course
2nd Test.- (arrow straight road ~4900ft+)
FalconHR (upright position) "in-car"- max range acquisition of single approaching vehicles (firing thru W/S)
Consistantly locks speed @ 3700-3900ft+

FalconHR (gangsta position) "in-car"- max range acq. of single approaching vehicles (firing thru W/S)
Consistantly locks speed @2200-2400ft+ <---Uh-Oh !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Road Course
3rd Test
FalconHR (upright position) "exterior-of-car" - max acq. of single approaching vehicles (firing into Free Space)
Consistantly locks speed @3700-3900ft+

FalconHR (gangsta position) "exterior-of-car" - max acq. of single approaching vehicles (firing into Free Space)
Consistantly locks speed @3700-3900ft+ <---WTF !

What caught my attention was the 2nd Test results. Antenna theory taught me that the arrangement of the Patch Array elements into a combination of a Collinear Array + a Broadside Array meant that the main Lobe formation should be identical on all sides for shape & forward gain no matter which way the FalconHR was held in position.

The more I thought about it, the more I had questions about the results.

That is why I returned the 3rd day to change the Test conditions slightly to see if the results were the same...& they were not !

Polarization matters when a radar wave is passing thru a slanted glass medium - the W/S !

Last edited:

croup

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
interesting...

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like Advanced Logic L alerted about a 1/4- mile later than Logic roughly.
This was an HR hot I had this morning on L mode. I need to try logic or all bogeys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201006-100539_JBV1.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-100539_JBV1.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 34

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dk919