2.1.0 Preview - Brake Force Detection for TMG

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I expect to release 2.1.0 by Saturday, and I wanted to give JBV1+TMG users a heads up on what's included.

Brake Force Detection (BFD)

This new, experimental feature uses multiple phone sensors to detect when you're braking hard during a TMG alert, and then auto kills (JTK) when you get off the brakes. This allows you to automatically minimize TMG transmit time to only as long as it takes to get down to near PSL. The thresholds for "braking hard" and "off the brakes" are adjustable, and there's a test mode that lets you see the forces detected so you can fine tune the thresholds for your driving style and phone where normally mounted.

For this to be effective, your phone needs to be firmly mounted where the back of the phone is mostly facing the road ahead. It won't work as well when the phone is mounted with a sharp angle to the front of your vehicle--up, down, or sideways. In the future, I hope to evolve the force measurements to the point where mounted orientation is less critical for consistency. BFD will disable itself when the device is in your pocket. If you never exceed the "braking hard" threshold, BFD doesn't affect normal operation. Once you do exceed the first threshold (braking hard), however, you need to be sure to not get off the brakes too soon, before you're close to the speed limit.

When released, I will have tested this feature as best I can, but I'll need reports from the field to help me identify issues and areas for improvement.

The bad news: Phones that cost < $100 or so brand new, and most tablets, likely don't have the required sensors, and the app will not let you enable BFD on such devices. If looking for a new phone, be sure to get one with a gyroscope or gravity sensor.

TL;DR

BFD = Auto JTK with your foot

JB

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to trying this out! Is this what the "Accelerometer Enabled" option in Developer Options is for? Or is that something else?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What a cool idea!! Great work. :)

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to trying this out! Is this what the "Accelerometer Enabled" option in Developer Options is for? Or is that something else?
I used that for testing on various devices.

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow that is a wicked great idea with what most of our phones should support! :happyanim:

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Agree with LouG, would have not dreamed of it.

How about an alternative mode to finish (optional - user enabled) where upon TMG alert, JBV1 starts listening for a key-phrase to kill? I can see, "Kill, Kill, Kill!" and phrases like, "F-U Pig!" and "F* that was close!" :)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You could have a version of Porky followed by a gunshot.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is pure genius at more levels than one.

HOW can one tap into this to make their car flash the warning blinkers during emergency braking for 5-10 seconds ?
Most European cars (in Europe) have this, but I don't see it much in the US. It can save lives when driving at a decent rate of speed then ending up in gridlock. Brake lights are not enough for the ones behind me to realize that I have jumped on the brakes with both feet.

Does OBD2 have an ability to turn flashers on ? Most OBD2 dongles are bluetooth nowadays. I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming :)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You're right, it makes a big difference. When I was driving in Italy it took me a while to figure out that the locals hit the hazard lights when braking hard. Now their carmakers have made it a feature.

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@goblin I found this - well, similar: flashing the brake lights instead of steady-on - as a code in my daughter's 07 VW. I'm betting it's coded in all recent-model imports at the very least. Just have to research the setting and either get yourself an OBD2 programming cable/software, or find a mod'er shop that will do it for you.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesus359