Radar performance degradation

Sambeaux

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey what's up guys just bought a bike and am looking at different mounting options for my R7. Looking for a general consensus on how much performance degradation I should expect if the front of the detector doesn't have direct line of sight with the road. Looks like the best option for me would have its field of vision obstructed by the instrument cluster at-least partially. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Elcid2015

Late for my own funeral
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My two cents... First of all no one is going to have an answer for your question because it involves way too many variables. But my guess is that it would not affect the performance that much. Radar penetrates and bounces off of surfaces so I would think most local radar signatures would make it to the detector on something as compact as a bike. The best strategy would be to test it in different configurations against an actual radar source and see if you are ok with the performance in the less than desirable configuration.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Radar travels with more spread than light but it's pretty similar to light in its directionality. Mounting it behind metallic or lots of hard plastic objects will severely degrade the range.

9C1Driver

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Detector mounting position has no impact on radar performance. It’ll pick up your speed the same either way ;)
I like it, that is what was asked in the title.
Post automatically merged:

Radar travels with more spread than light but it's pretty similar to light in its directionality. Mounting it behind metallic or lots of hard plastic objects will severely degrade the range.
Agreed. I wonder too how effective the arrow feature will be with a driver blocking a clear view to the rear.

Last edited:

Elcid2015

Late for my own funeral
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I wonder too how effective the arrow feature will be with a driver blocking a clear view to the rear.
After a quick literature search, I'm guessing you could expect about 15 to 30 dB of Ka Band attenuation across a typical human body. So it seems this would probably affect the arrow behavior.

Wang, Qi, et al. "Attenuation by a human body and trees as well as material penetration loss in 26 and 39 GHz millimeter wave bands." International Journal of Antennas and Propagation 2017 (2017).
@ 26 GHz -> 12.66 dB attenuation through human body
@ 39 GHz -> 19.03 dB attenuation through human body

Eng, I. Dove B. "Analysis of radio propagation inside the human body for in-body localization purposes." ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING 16.2 (2014): 171-193.
@ 2.45 GHz -> 22.8 - 28.0 dB attenuation through human body

Mbugua, Allan Wainaina, et al. "Characterization of human body shadowing in measured millimeter-wave indoor channels." 2018 IEEE 29th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC). IEEE, 2018.
@ 28 GHz -> ~30 dB attenuation through human body

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Advanced User
Reaction score
I like it, that is what was asked in the title.
Post automatically merged:

I have my R7 mounted front and center, level behind windsheild on a magnetic RAM motorcycle mount.
Rear arrows work as well as when in my truck, lots less metal cage around me. If anything arrows are more accurate with less reflections.
I suggest a level mounting location with a clear unobstructed view forward, not counting a windshield or very thin plastic.
Fairing materials being unknown what yours is I would be cautious unless you can do testing.
Lots of examples in the motorcycle section.

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've played this game with a R1 behind a windshield and more recently a NR DSP behind/under the fairing and then on the outside hanging off my fairing which slowly was moved out more and more so the horn was more exposed. Nothing official but random encounters. Trust me, DO NOT BLOCK IT! Go really high on the mount or way over away from even a windshield!

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
From years of personal experience running V1 Gen 1 on my bike.
Even with the rear antenna shielded by my Adonis like body, there is very little difference. Measured 100 metres at a 2 km initial detection point. Obviously rear laser is a goner, but if he's behind you he ain't gonna catch you;)
I've always mounted it behind a smoked screen, no problems there. Behind something metallic is not a good idea. But having mounted it on everything from Ultras to skinny little naked bikes, I've never had a problem getting it a clear view ahead. What are you putting it on?
An ex member down here did some tests with a Stalker dual and it was harder to get a reading on a bike than a car at 500 metres plus, in traffic it's even harder.
What would worry me more, is whether your choice of detector will survive the harsh life on a bike. MV told me in an email that the V1 would survive, and they did for 9 years (pre ESP) and 7 years and counting (ESP).
Again, that depends what you're mounting it on.

Sambeaux

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for all the great input guys. Its going on an FJR. I live in Houston and flew down to Miami last friday and road it back with my R7 mounted to the windshield with the stock suction cup (the big single one) and plugged it into the outlet in the fairing pocket. Actually worked great, very light enforcement on the way home (1230 miles). I think I've settled on a magnetic mount on the front brake reservoir. Not centered as I would prefer but this way it'll be free from obstructions, including me for the rear. After all of these years roadtriping and traveling all over the world with my radar detectors I can't imagine having to ride without one lol. Thanks again y'all

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Attenuation depends of material that is in front of horn. Metal parts-not good at all...

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I've settled on a magnetic mount on the front brake reservoir. Not centered as I would prefer but this way it'll be free from obstructions, including me for the rear.
Feel free, but if it were me I’d rather have it behind the windshield just for protection from rock chips and bugs and such. I don’t think the rear sensitivity will suffer much. And realistically the rear arrow is most important for indicating the direction of the threat more than sniffing out extreme range behind you that’s not a threat.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for all the great input guys. Its going on an FJR. I live in Houston and flew down to Miami last friday and road it back with my R7 mounted to the windshield with the stock suction cup (the big single one) and plugged it into the outlet in the fairing pocket. Actually worked great, very light enforcement on the way home (1230 miles). I think I've settled on a magnetic mount on the front brake reservoir. Not centered as I would prefer but this way it'll be free from obstructions, including me for the rear. After all of these years roadtriping and traveling all over the world with my radar detectors I can't imagine having to ride without one lol. Thanks again y'all
Great. A mate of mine had a magnetic m/cyl mount on his FJR. I'd just say that if the magnet isn't really strong, I'd use some sort of safety tie even if it's just a rubber band holding the plug or lead tight against the detector.
I'm a belts and braces kind of guy.

JustinP

PSL +PSL
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a dash shelf for my FJR. Detector sits on that over the dash. Clear line of sight through the shield. Both GPS are now on the shelf as well.

fjrshelf.jpg

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey what's up guys just bought a bike and am looking at different mounting options for my R7. Looking for a general consensus on how much performance degradation I should expect if the front of the detector doesn't have direct line of sight with the road. Looks like the best option for me would have its field of vision obstructed by the instrument cluster at-least partially. Any and all input would be appreciated.
I would not block it at all! I was in a parking lot with a LEO just on the other side of the street shooting Ka right at the rear horn of my 360. Not going to get into why (that is in another thread) but just placing my palm in front of the horn was enough to drop the signal to a around half strength. Will you still get alerts, sure, will they be very close to the kill zone...could be....would you miss I/O shots far ahead, very possible.

Sambeaux

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Great. A mate of mine had a magnetic m/cyl mount on his FJR. I'd just say that if the magnet isn't really strong, I'd use some sort of safety tie even if it's just a rubber band holding the plug or lead tight against the detector.
I'm a belts and braces kind of guy.
I agree I plan on coming up with some sort of rubber band combo to keep it safe.

I have a dash shelf for my FJR. Detector sits on that over the dash. Clear line of sight through the shield. Both GPS are now on the shelf as well.

View attachment 144157
That's awesome! I'll be a little less high tech. Just my phone for GPS on the left and my RD on the right. Why the two GPS units?

I would not block it at all! I was in a parking lot with a LEO just on the other side of the street shooting Ka right at the rear horn of my 360. Not going to get into why (that is in another thread) but just placing my palm in front of the horn was enough to drop the signal to a around half strength. Will you still get alerts, sure, will they be very close to the kill zone...could be....would you miss I/O shots far ahead, very possible.
Interesting, appreciate the heads up. It'll be on fully protected behind the fairing and windscreen on the front brake and will have an unobstructed view front and rear, sounds like a pretty decent solution.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samkuzma