Should Have Thought Of This Sooner

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
So today I got shot with an LA-R by the OPP on one of the 400 series highways. After the initial alert telling me what gun, and from what direction, why couldn't ALP include a little audio blurb stating 3 seconds, 4 seconds etc?
I count in my head before hitting any of the buttons, and I know auto JTK is available, I just thought this might be a neat little reminder that would play in the car. Thoughts?

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO you should still be aiming to do better than a 3 or 4 second auto JTK. Auto JTKs are meant to be a failsafe, not a substitute for proper usage of a kill switch.

Majbha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Instead of counting in your head. Just come to the safe speed and kill the jammer. You don't want to kill jammer when you're in danger even if you're at 4 or 5 seconds already.

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
Been doing it this way for years. Look at speedometer while counting down. Never had a second glance. 3-4 Sec's for Ontario is fine. If they see your car nosedive, while they're shooting you, that's a whole other nightmare. I take an extra second to slow down without nosediving.

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Been doing it this way for years. Look at speedometer while counting down. Never had a second glance. 3-4 Sec's for Ontario is fine. If they see your car nosedive, while they're shooting you, that's a whole other nightmare. I take an extra second to slow down without nosediving.
Its not easy to see a nosedive looking through the scope for most guns and most cars with the other eye closed and your FOV limited. Its not something I worry about as I dont see it on other peoples cars I test and other people do not notice a nosedive on mine - nor do I when I watch videos of testing.

If they get a reading quickly they wont care about any nosedive, if they even detect it.

Brakes lights in Ontario when you are shot are a whole other story and at night you might be able to notice the lights when targeting a car.

I would be more worried about the amount of time the ALPs are on and brake lights than a nosedive for most encounters,

Also some jammers start jamming before they alert, so your counting may be off a little, and then there is human error to account for.

Last edited:

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
I didn't really want to get in to a discussion about JTK times, I only wanted input to see what others thought about a timed reminder after the initial alert.
Everyone reacts differently and there have been times when I've hit the kill switch before getting to my desired speed. I just think it would be a neat little add-on for the detailed voice pack file(s)
Ontario LEO's are brutal, but for some reason, a 3-4 JTK time doesn't get their attention. 5-10 sec's and that's a different story. Maybe in the US, 3-4 sec's is a pullover. I've JTK'd LEO's in States from NY to SC. Never had an issue there either.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
It does seem unnecessary thing to add. I realize it's a whole lot worse for you guys. But, it seems like taking 4-5 seconds to get a reading would be more of red flag to an officer than a quick drop of speed then kill the jammer. I don't think even my big ass Yukon XL has that much noticeable nose drop at 1000+ ft. And if they are focusing on putting that dot on your headlight, I just don't see them noticing it.

Frankrn

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I didn't really want to get in to a discussion about JTK times, I only wanted input to see what others thought about a timed reminder after the initial alert.
Everyone reacts differently and there have been times when I've hit the kill switch before getting to my desired speed. I just think it would be a neat little add-on for the detailed voice pack file(s)
Ontario LEO's are brutal, but for some reason, a 3-4 JTK time doesn't get their attention. 5-10 sec's and that's a different story. Maybe in the US, 3-4 sec's is a pullover. I've JTK'd LEO's in States from NY to SC. Never had an issue there either.
Why would a LEO pull me over in USA because he figured out I have a jamner? Unless of course he wants a referal for a good jammer installer. Legal in my jurisdiction. Though I still don't tempt a future ban with JTG.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If they see your car nosedive, while they're shooting you, that's a whole other nightmare.
Why do you think that? If they can see you, you can see them, and in addition to what @samq45 pointed out about not noticing any "nose dive" even if they do they'll have seen it all the time. I've burned myself by not just scrubbing speed off more quickly, being afraid of a slight front end dip. That was my mistake. Learn from my mistakes :)

They're not independent. There's no need for a countdown. If you weigh anchor and kill near PSL, why do you need the added distraction of an automated doom clock countdown? Auto-kill is a last-resort failsafe, not a target. If you're looking to time your kills, get a dashcam :)

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What's the benefit of having the audible notification while driving?

To measure my JTK times I've always gone back afterwards and looked at the dashcam footage. This makes it easy to see exactly how fast the JTK was after the fact while in the moment I can be focused on the JTK itself.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@wolfpacal, don't let this get you frustrated. :) This is one of those times where some people are trying to consider your idea, but aren't seeing it your way.

New ideas are not always instant hits. :) It's still worth throwing the ideas out there!

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
@wolfpacal, don't let this get you frustrated. :) This is one of those times where some people are trying to consider your idea, but aren't seeing it your way.

New ideas are not always instant hits. :) It's still worth throwing the ideas out there!
I honestly would love to have this added in the voice pack files as an option. Other's don't. I appreciate your feedback though.

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
Why do you think that? If they can see you, you can see them, and in addition to what @samq45 pointed out about not noticing any "nose dive" even if they do they'll have seen it all the time. I've burned myself by not just scrubbing speed off more quickly, being afraid of a slight front end dip. That was my mistake. Learn from my mistakes :)

They're not independent. There's no need for a countdown. If you weigh anchor and kill near PSL, why do you need the added distraction of an automated doom clock countdown? Auto-kill is a last-resort failsafe, not a target. If you're looking to time your kills, get a dashcam :)
True, it's difficult to notice a vehicle nosediving when looking through the scope of a lidar especially at distance. Obviously, the closer the range it's more noticeable but at the same time the "I saw you (the LEO) and panic braked) becomes a more plausible defense.

However, rear shots are a different story especially at night or if the LEO is well hidden. You might have a harder time convincing him/her that happened to hit the brakes at the same time they were trying to get your speed. Should the cop pull you over, it's safe to say they know what those things mounted near your license plate are anyway. Maybe not an issue for many, but in a banned area that could be an extra ticket/vehicle impounded.

GoWFO

If you have to go... GoWFO!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That does not work here as RDs are illegal too.
A well hidden V1 with a Concealed Display lower in the cabin seems like a good alternative then.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, so this idea is a bust. MODS please close thread. Sorry I posted anything.
Don't be! Like @Bloovy One said, don't be frustrated just because people disagree with your ideas! I happen to think it was a good one! Keep posting your ideas! If only one of us can use one of them, it's worth it!

GoWFO

If you have to go... GoWFO!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
A well hidden V1 with a Concealed Display lower in the cabin seems like a good alternative then.
I'll assume you mean a V1G2, I have RDD stealth and functionally stealth units already. That will not help at night time when shot with laser and you hit the brakes as Deacon suggested. At that point you would have to convince the Leo the brake-light they saw were just a coincidence.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
GoWFO, I was under the impression that the "That does not work here as RDs are illegal too" was implying that you didn't want the detector to be seen.
My suggestion is related to a detector with a real radar sensor at the back that can also have it's display in a remote location so that it can't be seen lighting up from behind. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cobber