Highway Radar v2.3: Voice control and alerts reporting

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
It could possibly have been N662PD, but I think that one might have taken off later. If it happens again I'll make sure to be more diligent in capturing the exact time and tail numbers.

I don't run a secondary source because I think I read that it could sometimes cause some duplication. Do you recommend running it all the time as a backup?
Do it. I have quite strong deduplication filtering on the server side. I see the duplication maybe once a month and it isn't critical.

Reactions: plm

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Didn't quite get what you mean here. Do you mean using the voice commands when Highway Radar and Waze are working together in the split-screen mode? This way I don't see any issues with using the voice commands.

Or do you mean activate split screen when using just HwR? If so then this isn't possible right now.
Yes activate split screen I ment.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Yes activate split screen I ment.
Not really possible now. I don't need such feature as I'm an Android Auto user, so can't guarantee I'll do it. I added it to my list though. If it turms out to be quite easy to implement, maybe I add it in some version.

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not really possible now. I don't need such feature as I'm an Android Auto user, so can't guarantee I'll do it. I added it to my list though. If it turms out to be quite easy to implement, maybe I add it in some version.
Oh, I use my cell and don't have Android Auto. I also use the spit screen on my LGV 30 with Highway Radar & Waze at the same time. But at times I'll use Highway Radar and my quick phone dialer on split screen.
It's not necessary to add that but I always have to manually press split screen on my phone to pull up the 2 screens I want to utilize. I actually use it most with Highway Radar and Waze. Thanks.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
A little update here:
The bug reporting feature is badly broken in this version and doesn't work under any conditions. Even if it looks like working, the reports aren't being sent to the server. I'm investigating it now, the problem seems to be much trickier than I expected.

The current outcome is the following:
- Don't send bug reports in this version, you can even disable this feature for now
- The v2.3 will stay in beta for a bit longer

Note that this only applies to the beta version of v2.3. Version v2.2.2 works well.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I have had a couple of lockups too when it slowed to a crawl and then became completely unresponsive, but I wasn't able to capture a bug report anyway as it wasn't responding. I'm not sure whether that can be correlated to me enabling the secondary aircraft server, but if I see the behaviour again again I'll disable that function and see if I can replicate.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I have had a couple of lockups too when it slowed to a crawl and then became completely unresponsive, but I wasn't able to capture a bug report anyway as it wasn't responding. I'm not sure whether that can be correlated to me enabling the secondary aircraft server, but if I see the behaviour again again I'll disable that function and see if I can replicate.
Which phone do you have?

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did you have freezes in v2.2.2? Do you have them after disabling voice activation in v2.3?
No freezes in 2.2.2. And these freezes happened after disabling voice activation. The phone itself seemed to be responding okay at the time.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I did just get another lockup at startup, and at that point it had croudsourced data, but was showing No data yet for aircraft with a grey icon. I had to kill the app and restart it, at which point it got aircraft data immediately and was responsive.

So, going back to my earlier hunch, I wonder if it's related to me adding the secondary aircraft source.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I did just get another lockup at startup, and at that point it had croudsourced data, but was showing No data yet for aircraft with a grey icon. I had to kill the app and restart it, at which point it got aircraft data immediately and was responsive.

So, going back to my earlier hunch, I wonder if it's related to me adding the secondary aircraft source.
Yes, try to disable secondary aircraft source and let's see what we get.
Another interesting thing is that I don't get any lockup reports from Google Play, which is quite strange. Do you get lockups only right after starting the service or sometimes after some time?

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, try to disable secondary aircraft source and let's see what we get.
Another interesting thing is that I don't get any lockup reports from Google Play, which is quite strange. Do you get lockups only right after starting the service or sometimes after some time?
The first time was after it had been running for an hour or so, which made me think possible memory leak. Then I left it running all day and it was fine, which made me re-think that idea. The last couple of times have been right after starting the service.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
A little update on this thread. I've pushed a fix for the bug reporting system (v2.3 build 3). However, looking at how much did it take for Google to publish the previous version, I won't give any estimation on when the build 3 is live.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just noticed one thing with the Waze reporting that you may not be able to do anything about, but if you don't have Waze running when you press the report button, if Waze decides to pop up the 'Drive only if necessary' banner then it doesn't begin the reporting process. It's fine when Waze is running in the background or if it launches without the banner (I'm guessing this shows once per day), so I doubt you can account for that with the automation and hopefully it'll become moot before too long anyway.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I just noticed one thing with the Waze reporting that you may not be able to do anything about, but if you don't have Waze running when you press the report button, if Waze decides to pop up the 'Drive only if necessary' banner then it doesn't begin the reporting process. It's fine when Waze is running in the background or if it launches without the banner (I'm guessing this shows once per day), so I doubt you can account for that with the automation and hopefully it'll become moot before too long anyway.
Yeah, I know this and get annoyed as well to be honest. Fixing this requires some extra logic that I don't want to add between different builds of the same versions. So assume that in v2.3 you need to have clicked OK in that window within 24 hours before the drive. Possibly, I'll improve this logic in v2.3.1.

Reactions: plm

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Would we be able to change the bottom tab to the top in future generations? My phone is mounted in such a fashion that having the speed on the top would be helpful,

1587011605803.png

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Would we be able to change the bottom tab to the top in future generations? My phone is mounted in such a fashion that having the speed on the top would be helpful,

View attachment 144931
Interesting idea. I can try to implement this, but not very soon. Maybe in a month or two. For now, I gave myself a little break from the app development for couple weeks.

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
ferius, i know you accept any recommendations...

maybe get rid for the words "Reported" and " ago", and transform those round dots in rectangles, so any device can show them...
Even "Confirmed" can be "CONF" from my point of view

ps:
On samsung android 5 rooted without gaps i cannot even install V2.3...only 2.2.2...
still get one or multiple "hidden" alert messange and canoot show them no matter what...maybe related to gaps, (no "map" on my device)?
On 2.2.2 i get "heat" related settings, but nothing shown on screen without gaps.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM