Highway Radar v2.3: Voice control and alerts reporting

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the larger Waze tab. The voice reporting works if you don’t listen to any audio (music, etc) in your vehicle. That isn’t a malfunction of the app just logistics. I can’t listen to two voices say different things at the same time either.

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a trick to getting latest update? I tried play store on phone and still only showing 2.2. Tried on computer going to play
store and sending to phone and still on 2.2 showing there for me...

WJS

A low profile can be the best defense
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@ferius, is there an option to suppress the toast message when microphone access has not been granted?

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I like the larger Waze tab.
Me too. But I did notice it's only larger in portrait mode, and not in landscape mode.

is there an option to suppress the toast message when microphone access has not been granted?
I noticed that. I couldn't clear the message until I'd actually granted permission.

turbofish

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@ferius, is there an option to suppress the toast message when microphone access has not been granted?
Figured this one out.
Settings - Voice Control - turn it off.
Toast message goes away and changes on the first screen "Not Needed" with the check grayed out.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Two observations, which aren't specifically 2.3 related:
1) For me the aircraft alerts are a little verbose as I get so many of them. Telling me the helicopter model type isn't really important, but the fact that it's a helicopter and who is operating it are really useful. So could you consider maybe adding an configurable option to announce the aircraft model or not in the future.
2) I like that when you get an LEO alert it gives you the PSL now. The only thing is if the alert is for one on a different street then the PSL it announces isn't necessarily relevant. For instance if I'm on a side street with a 35 PSL and about to join a freeway where there's an LEO in half a mile, it would be more useful to know that the PSL is 65 where the LEO is when I get the announcement.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I like the larger Waze tab. The voice reporting works if you don’t listen to any audio (music, etc) in your vehicle. That isn’t a malfunction of the app just logistics. I can’t listen to two voices say different things at the same time either.
Yes, it just works like this. I just mute the audio using a button on the steering wheel before saying something.

Is there a trick to getting latest update? I tried play store on phone and still only showing 2.2. Tried on computer going to play
store and sending to phone and still on 2.2 showing there for me...
Is it v2.2 or v.2.2.2?
If v2.2.2 then this is most probably due to v2.3 only available for beta testers. You can enroll in beta on the app's page in the Play Store.

As @turbofish mentioned, just disable voice commands feature in the settings.

1) For me the aircraft alerts are a little verbose as I get so many of them. Telling me the helicopter model type isn't really important, but the fact that it's a helicopter and who is operating it are really useful. So could you consider maybe adding an configurable option to announce the aircraft model or not in the future.
That would make sense, added to the list.

2) I like that when you get an LEO alert it gives you the PSL now. The only thing is if the alert is for one on a different street then the PSL it announces isn't necessarily relevant. For instance if I'm on a side street with a 35 PSL and about to join a freeway where there's an LEO in half a mile, it would be more useful to know that the PSL is 65 where the LEO is when I get the announcement.
Yeah, this is a known issue, I mentioned it in the release notes. There may be some debates about which option works better. Also reporting the speed limit at LEO location can often give the wrong values due to incorrect snapping the LEO to street. For example, the LEO may be reported on a ramp where speed limit is 35 with 55 on the highway.

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah its 2.2.2...Thanks for clearing that up for me...Again thanks for all you do for the community...

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Glad that you liked it. I'd also really appreciate if you enable voice data sharing. This is not mandatory though and fully up to you :)
Yes, I really love it and I did enabe voice data sharing! 😎

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Is there a way you can make voice command pull up Highway Radar and Waze on split screen?

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is there a way you can make voice command pull up Highway Radar and Waze on split screen?
Didn't quite get what you mean here. Do you mean using the voice commands when Highway Radar and Waze are working together in the split-screen mode? This way I don't see any issues with using the voice commands.

Or do you mean activate split screen when using just HwR? If so then this isn't possible right now.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
First actual issue tonight. I had two active helicopter alerts (guess it's a quiet night!), one red and one green, and then they both simultaneously disappeared from the alert bar. The aircraft data status indicator was still green, saying it was recently updated, so I left it a moment to see if the alerts would come back and then ended up having to stop and start the service to get them to reappear.

I figured I'd send a recording in case there was any useful diagnostic info available, but when I triple-tapped the speed I got a 'Failed to start audio recording' error. Microphone permission is shown as granted.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hm,

Regarding the helicopters in LA, I see that sometimes they report themselves as grounded thus get filtered by the HwR. Possibly they're waiting on rooftops? I don't know to he honest what is that. As you live there you probably know their behavior better :)
The fact that they dissapeared simultaneously might be just a coincidence, for example, the red one got grounded and the green one flew out of the alerting zone. As the data is pulled every 10 seconds for all aircraft at once, it is possible.

Do you have their tail numbers and an approximate time of the event?

I figured I'd send a recording in case there was any useful diagnostic info available, but when I triple-tapped the speed I got a 'Failed to start audio recording' error. Microphone permission is shown as granted.
Good catch. Bug reporting either sends a silence or fails to start a recording (depends on the phone model) if the "voice activation" is enabled. The reason is that two different modules (voice activation and bug recorder in our case) can't access the mic at the same time. So I have to disable the voice activation for the period of recording the message.

Thanks for reporting this. Temporary solution would be disabling the voice activation.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Regarding the helicopters in LA, I see that sometimes they report themselves as grounded thus get filtered by the HwR. Possibly they're waiting on rooftops? I don't know to he honest what is that. As you live there you probably know their behavior better :)
The fact that they dissapeared simultaneously might be just a coincidence, for example, the red one got grounded and the green one flew out of the alerting zone. As the data is pulled every 10 seconds for all aircraft at once, it is possible.

Do you have their tail numbers and an approximate time of the event?
When they ground they're generally either at the police heliport downtown or at one of the local airports like Bob Hope, but these two seemed to be patrolling at the time. It could be that the source data was interrupted and that's why they both disappeared simultaneously, so it may not be an application problem at all.

I think the two were most likely N661PD and N958LA, at about 11:00pm PST

Good catch. Bug reporting either sends a silence or fails to start a recording (depends on the phone model) if the "voice activation" is enabled. The reason is that two different modules (voice activation and bug recorder in our case) can't access the mic at the same time. So I have to disable the voice activation for the period of recording the message.

Thanks for reporting this. Temporary solution would be disabling the voice activation.
Good to know. Also, I had the 'listening' voice control popup appear a few times when I was just casually doing stuff on my laptop with HR open and hadn't even said anything, so it seems to be pretty sensitive. For the moment I'm going to keep voice control off so if I find any functionality issues I'll be able to grab the bug report.

NVR2FST

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Are helicopters generally used for issuing speeding citations? I get lots of rotary wing alerts but few for fixed wing aircraft. Could there be an option to ignore them and just report the fixed wing threats?

Reactions: plm

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Are helicopters generally used for issuing speeding citations? I get lots of rotary wing alerts but few for fixed wing aircraft. Could there be an option to ignore them and just report the fixed wing threats?
No, but if you happen to be making yourself really obvious when they are patrolling the area (which is relatively easy at the moment with little traffic on the freeways) then there's a good chance that you'll get called in for someone down on the ground in the area to be able to simply pick you off.

ferius

More arrows please
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I think the two were most likely N661PD and N958LA, at about 11:00pm PST
N661PD wasn't airborne at their time so you could received stale position for some reason.
And yes, the source could also go offline. ADSBx, for example, isn't very famous for its stability.
Do you use the secondary source?

Good to know. Also, I had the 'listening' voice control popup appear a few times when I was just casually doing stuff on my laptop with HR open and hadn't even said anything, so it seems to be pretty sensitive. For the moment I'm going to keep voice control off so if I find any functionality issues I'll be able to grab the bug report.
Yes, the sensitivity needs to be tuned a bit. I also get false activations occasionally. Once some voice data is collected it should start working better.

Added to the planned features. Thanks for the idea.

plm

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
N661PD wasn't airborne at their time so you could received stale position for some reason.
And yes, the source could also go offline. ADSBx, for example, isn't very famous for its stability.
Do you use the secondary source?
It could possibly have been N662PD, but I think that one might have taken off later. If it happens again I'll make sure to be more diligent in capturing the exact time and tail numbers.

I don't run a secondary source because I think I read that it could sometimes cause some duplication. Do you recommend running it all the time as a backup?

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMCCM