Will someone explain Savvy on V1Driver to me?

kyjd75

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ok, new V1G2 owner here, running V1Driver on an iPhone 11. I've thoroughly searched this forum, watched videos and read articles, but I still do not understand exactly how Savvy is supposed to work using V1Driver (I do not have the VR savvy hardware). I am coming from an R3, where I simply set quiet ride to whatever mph I wanted and it did the rest. I have set the Savvy speed in V1Driver to 40 mph, but I still get audible alerts at speeds lower than that. So what do I have to do to make my V1Driver work similarly to my quiet ride of the R3? Thanks you in advance to anyone who can help me here a little.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Just like with the R3, you set the Savvy speed threshold you want the V1 to be muted under and that’s it. You do have a little more control over what bands are muted and whatnot, but the idea is the same.

Can you double-check your muted volume level to ensure the muted volume (which is different than totally muting the detector) is set to a level you want?

gwing

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Savvy plugs into your car's OBDII connector (under the dash usually) and links up with your car's speedometer to determine how fast you are travelling. This is useful for eliminating door opener falses, etc since the detector will change modes based on your speed. All of the features that Savvy performs can easily be handled by JBV1 or similar phone apps without additional hardware.

CheatDay2020

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Im intersted in this as well.
So can an Iphone user run V1Driver in the background to get a quietride like experience on a V1G2?

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Just like with the R3, you set the Savvy speed threshold you want the V1 to be muted under and that’s it. You do have a little more control over what bands are muted and whatnot, but the idea is the same.

Can you double-check your muted volume level to ensure the muted volume (which is different than totally muting the detector) is set to a level you want?
Thanks @Vortex

As mentioned it has more options but the default should be good for most people

For example Savvy is not turned on for Ka or Laser.

One other thing to check is that your GPS is meeting the requirements set. If it is not, it will display poorGPS (and not mute) instead of savvyMute (and mute).

The default GPS accuracy is 100 ft (under GPS Settings). Above that, your GPS Speed can get a little wobbly. But sometimes that is a necessary trade off.

Note also the Savvy Slider is a temporary override for savvy speed and will reset. The default speed is under Savvy Settings.

Last edited:

63run

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Vortex, where do you check that mute volume?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Start adjusting the normal volume, then press the mute button. Then it'll switch over to letting you adjust the secondary muted volume level.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
If you hold mute button for the right amount of time it will display a number showing Mute Volume that you can adjust with the buttons on top. It's a little quirky.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Start adjusting the normal volume, then press the mute button. Then it'll switch over to letting you adjust the secondary muted volume level.
I didn't think you have to start adjusting volume. Just push mute while idle.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you have to start adjusting volume. Just push mute while idle.
Hey cool, you're right! Thanks for pointing that shortcut out. :)

InDecay

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You’ll also see the mute icon light up when adjusting mute volume.
Don’t do this when you have a stationary false behind you that a Savvy has automuted or you won’t be able to adjust the regular volume level. That was a mild source of frustration yesterday when I was going through my settings in a parking lot.

kyjd75

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

I currently have my detector set to totally mute rather than a lower volume setting. Are you saying that Savvy will not recognnize the total mute setting and needs to have a mute volume set that it will use?

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No. Any muting actions will use whatever muted volume level you've chosen.

kyjd75

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for the responses. I will double check my settings and see what happens.
Post automatically merged:

Went for a short drive. Got Savvy to work finally as I had thought it should. Again, thank you everyone for your help. I am pretty sure I now have it figured out.

Last edited:

blulite

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've got a follow-on question to add about Savvy, both the hardwired version from V1 and the V1Driver version.

On the V1Driver version I still get a single unmuted beep warning from the V1, then goes to mute. Is there a means to eliminate the initial warning? On the hardwired Savvy from V1, does it do the same thing, or does it always mute under the set speed?

I'm looking to eliminate noise. My neighborhood has 2 speed sensing signs as I drive to my home. Both gpsMute and V1Driver Savvy mute still give me noise. Only a single burst of warning, but still noise.

Jeff

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I've got a follow-on question to add about Savvy, both the hardwired version from V1 and the V1Driver version.

On the V1Driver version I still get a single unmuted beep warning from the V1, then goes to mute. Is there a means to eliminate the initial warning? On the hardwired Savvy from V1, does it do the same thing, or does it always mute under the set speed?

I'm looking to eliminate noise. My neighborhood has 2 speed sensing signs as I drive to my home. Both gpsMute and V1Driver Savvy mute still give me noise. Only a single burst of warning, but still noise.

Jeff
Good question.

Yes, that's why V1Driver will pop a Suggestion to use Logic Mode "little L". If the Radar hit is not to strong to start (which is very often the case). Savvy, gpsMute and Snooze (re-mutes) will be completely silent. It will not work in All Bogey or Advanced Logic Mode ("Big L").

All Bogey Mode is no (or very little) filtering and way to chatty. Big L is exactly the same as Little L for "Audio". It just never displays what it keeps muted. Big L feels quieter but it's not. It's just visually quieter. V1Driver will now "Mute" the Display if enabled when in Little L. So it will be "Quiet" both Audibly and Visually (like Big L) when it's safe to do so. It's the best of both.

If signal is strong immediately and punches through, but V1Driver knows it's locked out, you'll get the unmuted beep. That doesn't happen that often. So it's pretty quiet overall.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What "Analyzer Mode" are you running? A? Big L? Little L? The Little L mode should introduce those beeps at mute volume, which then gives V1Driver the opportunity to send the mute command to the V1. IIRC, the way the hardware Savvy works is it just sends a constant stream of mute commands to the V1 until you get over speed so that no matter what happens it gets muted. But the initial beep will still persist.

Run Logic (Little L) mode, set Mute Volume to zero, and V1Driver's muting should be absolute and prevent you from getting the initial beeps.

EDIT: Beaten like a rented mule! Stupid work distracting me from RDF ;)

blulite

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good question.

Yes, that's why V1Driver will pop a Suggestion to use Logic Mode "little L". If the Radar hit is not to strong to start (which is very often the case). Savvy, gpsMute and Snooze (re-mutes) will be completely silent. It will not work in All Bogey or Advanced Logic Mode ("Big L").

All Bogey Mode is no (or very little) filtering and way to chatty. Big L is exactly the same as Little L for "Audio". It just never displays what it keeps muted. Big L feels quieter but it's not. It's just visually quieter. V1Driver will now "Mute" the Display if enabled when in Little L. So it will be "Quiet" both Audibly and Visually (like Big L) when it's safe to do so. It's the best of both.

If signal is strong immediately and punches through, but V1Driver knows it's locked out, you'll get the unmuted beep. That doesn't happen that often. So it's pretty quiet overall.
I was running Big L -> just switched to Little L. I saw "Advanced Logic" and thought absolutely, I want ADVANCED everything! Lol. I just read the description and now it all makes sense. I'll test a little later today, but it sounds like this is the fix.

Thanks for the quick reply, and THANKS for a wonderful app!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette