R7 firmware update on Mac - Issues

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Uniden should pay you for all new software updates like lets say $50.000 per year to start.

thauinc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just received my R7 from amazon today. I was very excited when I came home to a package because it was expected to come on Monday. My excitement was quickly overcome by frustration when my MacBook Pro would not recognize the unit when plugged in. I installed/deleted/reinstalled the drivers and and the install tool a few times which seemed to work fine, but when I clicked read current version or tried to start downloading new install it said the device was not connected or something like that. Pretty much the same problem everyone seems to be having.

I was able to resolve the issue by going into the system preferences, selecting "security and privacy", and eventually noticed that with the "general" tab selected towards the bottom of the window I was being prompted to a device that the system was blocking and was given the option to connect anyway. I can't remember if I HAD to click the lock icon on the bottom left of the window to allow changes or not, but I know I did at some point. I connected anyway and everything was smooth as butter from there.

It was the same exact process that vortex radar had to do in his tutorial video right at the 5 minute mark watch. So I had to go into my system preferences and select "security and privacy" twice...once like vortex did to initially open the installer tool, and again after the tool was launched and not connecting with the unit.

Turns out it came from the factory with the newest fw already installed so I got a crash course in updating and will be ready next time around!

Im sorry I can't be more precise. I was just pulling at strings hoping something would work as I was loosing hope and wasn't paying attention to how I got to where I was.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@thauinc Sorry, for your trouble. Glad you got it sorted in the end. That's useful to know, I forgot to ask about the security preferences. I'm guessing you won't be the last to have that issue. Glad you got it sorted in the end.

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Lets look at this as it is, over a month ago I called Uniden with a question on segmentation, customer service sent it up to the next level and said they would reply by email, they did not get back to me so I called back four more times letting them know that they did not reply to my question and they said yet again they would get back to me. I had to come to this forum to get the answer I was looking for. Now my next question is how does a company stay in business with that kind of customer service? they hire people that do not know much about the product they are selling then they send questions up to someone else that never replies back to their customers. I am not bashing Uniden just stating my experience.

gqllc007

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I received my R7 (ver 121 firmware) from Amazon yesterday and had the same issue with my Mac running Catalina 10.15.4. I tried downloading the ver 124 files since the latest ver 129 files for Macs are not yet on the Uniden site. However, I could not get the R7 to connect to the Mac, even after 4-5 installs/uninstalls. I ended up pulling out an old Windows 7 PC and updated it to the latest OS for Win 7. Then I downloaded the drivers, updater tool, firmware, etc. from Uniden’s site and everything worked fine...R7 connected to the Win7 PC with no problems.
I can't get it to work on my mac either....just bought a windows laptop LOL

Brilliant

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The problem is not the firmware. The 129 firmware file is the same for mac or windows.

I personally stopped my Mac at 10.14.5. Every time I update my Mac its Russian roulette as to what might work and what might not. Generally I will only now update my Mac until a time comes I have software which doesn't work on it unless its updated. When that happens I'll probably get a newer Mac!

Please don't blame Uniden, I've developed some apps for iPhone and after several versions I gave up. Maintaining updates for new apple OS versions is not worth the hassle for a small developer. I much prefer Apple to windows, but for a software developer they don't make it easy. It's so hard to figure out sometimes, why something suddenly stops working after an update. Apple are not very helpful when it comes to assisting you to make the transition to a new update.

As others have said, you're quite fortunate that Uniden provide a version which is compatible with Mac. Uniden probably just don't have adequate resources to regularly release upload tool updates. Uniden NZ never released any version which can be installed on Mac. Same applies to DFR7 and DFR9.

I agree, I keep my mac at 10.13.6 because I have some software that would have to goto a liscence model which I refuse to buy, in fact any software that is yearly liscence is off the grid for me.
Post automatically merged:

Err, No! Quite a few people over the last year have suggested I should! If Uniden allowed me access to work on firmware updates, and to assist me to support upload tools, I'd build in a lot more functionality and flexibility. E.g. to provide more advanced options on the detectors, as well as providing more updates for other models such as the R3, R1, and DFR9 as well as more tools to support Mac users. I completely agree there's a hell of a lot more they could be doing but are just not doing. At least I have fully opened up the gps database for now, and within the last few months I have started working on firmware. It's hard work reverse engineering, and why the hell should I have to do that, just to provide something Uniden should have already done!? Why would you deliberately provide new 129 R7 firmware which cut out low K band performance that worked so well on the 124 firmware, and not even tell anyone (i.e. R7 129 lower limit on K band (K Wide) is now 24.050, previously 23.900 in 124 firmware)!?

Do you know if the R3 has been cut back as well on the update? Thanks...
Post automatically merged:

I tried updating my R3 with the uniden on a mac. I can run it but, after the reset the Version No does not show up ... and it is still at 1.5 rather than the 1.53 which I ran so I am in the process of re doing it on a PC.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I tried updating my R3 with the uniden on a mac. I can run it but, after the reset the Version No does not show up ... and it is still at 1.5 rather than the 1.53 which I ran so I am in the process of re doing it on a PC.

Hmm, I am pretty sure it should work okay. For NZ however, I have now revised and further updated this firmware, so I am providing 152.214.116 and 153.214.116 for Australia. Both of these versions I have tried, tested and installed using the Mac upload tool v1.2 so it should work for the latest Official 153.214.115.

Try on your PC, but I wonder if your cable or cable connection is the problem rather than the upload tool. Be especially careful when you apply these updates not to knock the computer or detector, as any brief momentary disconnection will cause a fault and cause the upload to fail.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN3337.jpg
    DSCN3337.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3338.jpg
    DSCN3338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Discord Server