R7 firmware update on Mac - Issues

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with Uniden customer service and I sent a new R7 back while I could get my money back but before I did I was able to update it to 1.24 on my Mac. I have decided to give the R7 another try and I do not have it yet but the store I bought it from said it did not have the 1.29 update on it and that update only comes in PC version only. I am not sure if I should try and figure out how to use my Mac or just find someone with a PC to update it to 1.29 any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with Uniden customer service and I sent a new R7 back while I could get my money back but before I did I was able to update it to 1.24 on my Mac. I have decided to give the R7 another try and I do not have it yet but the store I bought it from said it did not have the 1.29 update on it and that update only comes in PC version only. I am not sure if I should try and figure out how to use my Mac or just find someone with a PC to update it to 1.29 any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes I followed that video for the 124 firmware update and a Mac download was offered for the 124 update, on the 129 update the firmware is only available for PC only. Should I just find someone with a PC or is there a easy way to convert it to a Mac?
Thanks.

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yes I followed that video for the 124 firmware update and a Mac download was offered for the 124 update, on the 129 update the firmware is only available for PC only. Should I just find someone with a PC or is there a easy way to convert it to a Mac?
Thanks.
I upgraded from 1.24 to 1.29 with a mac with no problem. There is something really wrong in probably how you do the steps and procedure.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The problem is not the firmware. The 129 firmware file is the same for mac or windows.

I personally stopped my Mac at 10.14.5. Every time I update my Mac its Russian roulette as to what might work and what might not. Generally I will only now update my Mac until a time comes I have software which doesn't work on it unless its updated. When that happens I'll probably get a newer Mac!

Please don't blame Uniden, I've developed some apps for iPhone and after several versions I gave up. Maintaining updates for new apple OS versions is not worth the hassle for a small developer. I much prefer Apple to windows, but for a software developer they don't make it easy. It's so hard to figure out sometimes, why something suddenly stops working after an update. Apple are not very helpful when it comes to assisting you to make the transition to a new update.

As others have said, you're quite fortunate that Uniden provide a version which is compatible with Mac. Uniden probably just don't have adequate resources to regularly release upload tool updates. Uniden NZ never released any version which can be installed on Mac. Same applies to DFR7 and DFR9.

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
G39X, I updated a R7 already with 124 by the Vortex video but I want to use the Uniden version of 129 just released because some say the Vortex version is a beta version and the finished Uniden 129 file works better, so should I just use the 124 update I have on my computer now but use the zip file of 129 on Unidens firmware page to update the new R7 when I get it?
Thanks.

Vancity23

(Lexus IS-F)
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Where is the Uniden rep? They should be answering questions and helping their customers. This is very disappointing.

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I called the Uniden customer service and they told me to just find someone with a PC to update my new R7 when I get it, not much help. I will try to find how to do it without bothering this forums members.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
G39X, I updated a R7 already with 124 by the Vortex video but I want to use the Uniden version of 129 just released because some say the Vortex version is a beta version and the finished Uniden 129 file works better, so should I just use the 124 update I have on my computer now but use the zip file of 129 on Unidens firmware page to update the new R7 when I get it?
Thanks.
Yeah the rumor started because it took Uniden way longer than expected to release 1.29 on their website. For the sake of verifying for myself, I just compared the md5 hashes between 1.29 released on RDF and that I shared early with the one currently available on Uniden's website. As expected, it's the exact same file. 1.29 is 1.29, regardless of if you downloaded it early from the forum or more recently on Uniden's website. 1.29 was not released as a beta and later secretly changed once posted on Uniden's website. So we can now officially squash that rumor.

The only difference with 1.29 on Uniden's website is it now comes with an updated RLC database. In terms of the R7 firmware though, it's identical.

Vancity23

(Lexus IS-F)
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That is terrible,
I called the Uniden customer service and they told me to just find someone with a PC to update my new R7 when I get it, not much help. I will try to find how to do it without bothering this forums members.
That is terrible, not impressed Uniden!

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks.
Use the older 1.2 update program and the drivers from the link I sent you. Use the new 1.29 firmware to update in the program.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@KASeeker, @G39x, @Vancity23, @Vortex

You can use the mac upload tool V1.2 to upload the 129 firmware without any issue. All the Uniden R3 and R7 US format binary files are fully compatible with the Mac upload tool. I have installed 129 and reinstalled 124 and reinstalled 129 using the mac tool many times for comparative redflex testing on the same detector. Since I know how to extract the meaningful source code from the firmware, I am currently redeveloping and testing non-official updates to the 129 R7 firmware to extend the lower K band range back to where 124 firmware had it, and also to add K segmentation.

I can also confirm the 129 firmware file released earlier by vortex is identical to the 129 version on the Uniden support site. I verified the entire code and binary against each other.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@KASeeker, @G39x, @Vancity23, @Vortex

If people prefer, I can also rerelease the 124 and/or 129 firmware without incorporating the database file. Therefore if you have updated the database, but want to switch back to 124 or visa versa, you wouldn't also need to reinstall your gps database.
Post automatically merged:

Okay, here are the two R7 firmware files without database. They will work fine, and I just did a screengrab from my mac after updating the 129 Frimwareonly file. Which after factory reset performs as expected.

Untitled.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Vancity23

(Lexus IS-F)
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you work for Uniden? Nice of you to take the time to explain this, others I am sure appreciate it.

However, my point is where the hell is Uniden? They have enjoyed alot of sales here, and members have helped build there reputation, but have been a ghost with no ongoing support and assistance. Is this the end of them in RD space? (I recall someone predicted this J_n)

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mitheru can you tell me why people do not want to install the database is there an advantage by not installing the database?
Thanks.

R4D4RUS3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mitheru can you tell me why people do not want to install the database is there an advantage by not installing the database?
Thanks.
If you run the latest FW update with the latest database then later decide you want to go back to a previous firmware, he made a way to install older firmware but leave the newest red light camera database on your device. I run 129 and I'm fine but some people want to run an older file.

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Even though I do use a computer for some things I do not have the skill of some of you young whipper snappers, I am 65 so I have to ask questions sometimes. I hope you do not mind and I did update a new R7 I received today with the 129 update from Mrthherus post on this page. Everything seems to be working ok but I have not had a chance to get out and test it yet.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Post automatically merged:

Something else, after updating to 129 firmware I noticed the word speed in the red header upper left of display over MPH will come on then go off then back on again after several seconds is this part of 129 trying to limit display burnin?
Thanks.

Last edited:

mattguy10

Keep it under a hundred
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Something else, after updating to 129 firmware I noticed the word speed in the red header upper left of display over MPH will come on then go off then back on again after several seconds is this part of 129 trying to limit display burnin?
Thanks.
That’s correct. This isn’t new to 1.29 though. It’s been that way since the release of the R7.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Do you work for Uniden? Nice of you to take the time to explain this, others I am sure appreciate it.

However, my point is where the hell is Uniden? They have enjoyed alot of sales here, and members have helped build there reputation, but have been a ghost with no ongoing support and assistance. Is this the end of them in RD space? (I recall someone predicted this J_n)
Err, No! Quite a few people over the last year have suggested I should! If Uniden allowed me access to work on firmware updates, and to assist me to support upload tools, I'd build in a lot more functionality and flexibility. E.g. to provide more advanced options on the detectors, as well as providing more updates for other models such as the R3, R1, and DFR9 as well as more tools to support Mac users. I completely agree there's a hell of a lot more they could be doing but are just not doing. At least I have fully opened up the gps database for now, and within the last few months I have started working on firmware. It's hard work reverse engineering, and why the hell should I have to do that, just to provide something Uniden should have already done!? Why would you deliberately provide new 129 R7 firmware which cut out low K band performance that worked so well on the 124 firmware, and not even tell anyone (i.e. R7 129 lower limit on K band (K Wide) is now 24.050, previously 23.900 in 124 firmware)!?

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette