Printed Adjustable TMG Holders [Prototype]

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've just finished designing a TMG Version of the holders originally discussed here:

I HAVE NOT TESTED THESE but assume they will work based on prior experience with the ALP versions. As long as "[Prototype]" is still in the title of this thread, if there are any issues with functionality due to the design, I'll take care of it and revise them until it's acceptable.

Here are videos of the ALP version but the TMG version is just slightly changed to account for the difference in head size. The TMG heads are about 7mm longer and 5.5mm narrower than ALPs.

Below are the links to DL the print files from CGI Trader. I'm setting a $25 price for the download of either the bumper mount or the grill mount...........but...........If, and only if, you are an intermediate or advanced member here, click the "offer price" and PM me here so I know it's you. You can put in any price you'd like or even 0 if it lets you but I only ask that you think about sending me a donation for the time I've put into this by making some offer. Optional, but greatly appreciated. This is my way of rewarding those that have time invested in the community while still offering this up for sale to anyone who may come across the models.

Since I've been getting a few PM's about it, yes, if you are an intermediate or advanced member here and would like to directly send me a donation instead of giving CGTrader their 30% cut, you can PM me your email and I'll send you the models directly, bypassing the middle man. Otherwise, see below.

The usage license here is that you can download the files and print as many as you want for your own PERSONAL use.

3rd Party Services
If you'd like to offer your services to print these off for users yourself, contact me and I will "license" you to do so.

After that, here are the steps:

1. Whomever wants these goes to the link and downloads the file regardless of who's going to be printing them. The act of downloading that file is granting them license for personal use.

2. If they are an intermediate or advanced member here, they make an offer at CGTrader instead of paying the list price, and although I'd appreciate donations, that offer can be zero. I just need them to PM me here for proof of elevated access so that I can accept the offer.

3. They download the files.

4. They send the file or other proof of download from CGTrader to the person offering the print service.

5. The person offering the print service may charge what they feel is necessary for their time and material.

This way those offering the print service don't have to worry about sending me squat and only deal with the person directly. All I ask is that proof is obtained that they downloaded it from CGTrader, that's it.

I have no control over the print quality of parts printed by others so any problems with that will be between the requester and the person doing the printing.

Assembly Tutorial
NOTE: To assemble the final product you will need additional items:

The pilot holes for the pins and set screws are in the print file but have to be finished out to a little over 5mm to allow for slip fit of the lock pins and I've found that a 13/64" reamer works best for the job. A drill will also work but the reamer is nicer to work with. You can do this by hand but it's much easier with any power drill.....just don't poke your eye out!

You will also need a M6 X 1.0 tap to tap the holes for the set screws. You don't need to tap them all the way through the hole, just deep enough that you can tighten the lockpin assembly with the set screw.

Finally, you will need M6X1.0X10mm set screws. I highly recommend 300 series stainless steel, or food grade stainless as they will not rust. You will need 2 if using two lock pins per holder or 1 if only using one lock pin.

Last edited:

NorEaster18

"No more government subsidies for active basses."
Advanced User
Reaction score
Bookmarked for when I get a new car this summer and need a mounting solution! These look amazing in the ALP mockups and I am sure it will carry over to these TMG-specific ones.

Thank you so much for providing these! I will absolutely try them out soon :p

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ahh, super cool. I have been considering putting a dual on the front of my road trip rig. These would make the install super easy.

Thank you!

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Awesome. Now to find someone with a printer. Or make the initial investment in one...

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Added assembly tutorial to the first post.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Nice work. So you are providing the 3D print file. Are you selling the set screws and white plugs to? If you drill in it won't have threads what I am missing?

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Nice work. So you are providing the 3D print file. Are you selling the set screws and white plugs to? If you drill in it won't have threads what I am missing?
If you follow the links to the print files above, what you need to do is described there. The plugs are printable too and those models also come with the download. I'll add some verbiage to the first post to clarify.

I'm not really equipped to sell physical units right currently. The printer I use for prototyping is busy printing off stuff for the pandemic at the moment. If someone else would like to print them and/or offer completed units to members here, they can contact me and discuss.

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Silly question: How does the head stay in the mount (in a snug way)?

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Silly question: How does the head stay in the mount (in a snug way)?
Hoop stress. Basically, it was designed to be a "press fit". Due to manufacturing tolerances, if your head is a bit loose, you just put a layer of tape around it and try again until it's nice and snug. This was oringially designed for ALPs and they don't have screw threads or dimples like the TMGs. If you wanted, you could drill a couple holes and use screws on the TMG's or I could redesign them but I figured why complicate matters. The press fit should work fine here as well.

wgmontgomery

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If anyone is planning on selling the printed version please let me know. I understand that I will need to buy the file BEFORE buying the actual printed holders, but I ordered a Quad system w/ 1 VPR head (will add another VPR as $ allows) that should be delivered in Monday.
With these I may be able to do the install myself...which is a good thing considering I'm having trouble finding someone to do the install.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes someone offered but I cant remember, do a search and you will probably find...

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is it possible, you or some one who is using these to show a video from just after the raw printing, using a reamer and tapping the holes etc?

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is it possible, you or some one who is using these to show a video from just after the raw printing, using a reamer and tapping the holes etc?
Hey,
It's really easy because the pilot hole is already there and almost to size. Just spin the reamer really slow and feed it through to take out the extra material. Then hand-tap. Helps to have a tap wrench.

On one of my latest projects, I've been testing different hole sizes to make reaming unnecessary but the problem is that different 3d printers are capabale of different tolerances and different slicers or settings result in different shrink so I think it would be a nightmare to get a slip fit between 2 different components. Just nicer to ream IMHO. That being said, for those that are printing these for others, they can fine-tune their settings to make it work without reaming. Just add a few thousandths of an inch to the hole.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Have you done anything official or modified since? Would you send something to me to play with? If so, cool looking to see what can be done after today... but do have design to be implemented to address what experienced from last week into today.

Today, outside Temp and Windy day with @Kennyc56. we are closing (we think) the gap on his rear. We are fighting many things. One, TMG is a picky system with the DESL units. We have solved PLs, DECs normal and others. With the closing gap, in Adv. side posts to say after, we have been knocking down walls. TMG can and hopefully a near perfect system. From testing and limited talks with TMG ( @Jag42 ) as to outputs only, has been there when needed.

Looking to close shop on this with final testing on this, as it has not only opened my eyes on new things with select systems, but I know KennyC56 is done with his Asserts and $$gas being lite up with near JTs/JFs, on different sites. Then I can light up @The Pope and close hits @s$ of worlds.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The @ss end of this Damn Boss 302 is possesed by some kind of a demon, I'm convinced about that! @VariableWave 's DE IS NO DOUBT A [email protected]#$%$^ Demon straight from hell! This has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever dealt with! The front of the car came out of the gate JTG'ing everything we could throw at it including his DE with no adjustments! This was my very first laser jammer install so I was wondering what all the fuss was about! Easy peasy right? I quickly got my first laser save in "Hellginia" of all places! I couldn't wait to install my 2 new G2 heads in the rear and have quads, it should be just as easy and work just like the fronts right? HELL NO! We just tested last weekend in front of my house after several hours of adjustments and both felt damn good about everything after being totally JFG from the right rear of the car and JFG from 250' on out from the left. Today we tested at one of our other favorite spots my job sight. I could hardly wait to make the first pass and what do I hear in my radio? Damn, I got you the whole way! Did you even have it turned on?!!! I thought at first he was joking, but after all we've been through with this, I knew better. Once again, after hours of re-adjustments we got it back close to where we were last week. I know in my heart that wherever we go to test next we are going to get the same damn results and it's getting very old!

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@VariableWave @Kennyc56 Do you guys want to try the bumper mounts in the back? The grill mounts probably wouldn't work.

I think the bumper mounts might be able to go upside down in the license plate area overhang.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here's the bumper style mount:

IMG_20200509_192958.jpg

Here's the grill style mount:

IMG_20200509_193102.jpg

I think you could possibly use the base from the bumper mount and the holder from the grill mount but you'd still be sticking way out if you use the grill mount style.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex