R7 OLED screen.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
iPhones and cell phones use OLED screens and you guys are saying it's normal for OLED screens to burn? Lol.
Yes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208191

OLED looks amazing and has a lot of fantastic characteristics but literally every pixel has finite life and consumable brightness. Display engineers move mountains on smartphones to mitigate and compensate for the effects of burn in but that is usually in the form of shifting color or peak brightness.

That is all I am at the liberty to say.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
iPhones and cell phones use OLED screens and you guys are saying it's normal for OLED screens to burn? Lol.
I've got permanent burn-in from Waze on my older Samsung Galaxy S4 with OLED screen after 1 year of use.
My non-OLED display on my Motorola G5s Plus has been running over 2 years (and 117,000 miles) with no burn in at all.

OLED burn-in is a real issue. :)

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Basically inevitable. These OLED displays are so pretty when they’re new but every time you light it up brightly it is consuming and wearing out those pixels. You can do clever things to design the UI to be boring and dim when the unit isn’t alerting. You can use the Dark Mode trick that has been mentioned for the R7.

Overall though it’s made me appreciate and long for more traditional LED dot matrix and Retro screens. There’s an odd peace of mind around being able to see your detector brightly and not worry about what it’s doing to the screen in the long run.
I agree. My Redline-O is my favorite screen. It's bright in all conditions, easy to read, and just plain works. The V1G1 was also simple and just plain works as well. Never any wash out on both Rd's in bright sunlight.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wonder why they don’t just use an LED screen like many GPS devices and avoid this issue? It’s not like super high resolution is needed for the information on these detectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boozehound

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've burned in several "smart" phone OLED displays using Waze. I've seen several OLED televisions with the news/sports ticker burned in at the bottom. Oh, and the dumbass high contrast logo all of those idiots seem to insist upon. If you watch news or ESPN all day you might want something other than OLED in a TV. Hoping the new Micro LED solves this problem.

davidc502

Avoiding Speeding Tickets
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run in Dark Mode to avoid this problem. However, Red is the color that burns in the easiest. The reason why we saw so many Blue R3's with Burn is was because a majority of people ran Blue color (RDF Polling question). People who ran the detectors as long with Red had burn in too. *EDIT* I almost forgot - The design of the R7 also helps to avoid burn in as they do move at least 1 static image or turn that image off from time to time. I forget the exact strategy they used.

Cycle through the colors, in the link below, and you can see which one's are the most susceptible.

Unfair and Unrealistic - 24/7 Static image test below
More true to life test below.

I have a Large OLED in my living room, and have had it going on 2 years now without any issues. However, I don't sit and stare at the news channels all day, so I have varying content. This means the risks for burn in are low. Considerable research time was taken before dropping the coin on this TV as it was expensive, at least to me.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Wonder why they don’t just use an LED screen like many GPS devices and avoid this issue? It’s not like super high resolution is needed for the information on these detectors.
I used to mention this fairly often. [email protected] explained that it was a tough product to get at a good price in the smaller quantities that radar detectors would use. Not cost effective for the sizes needed.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I run in Dark Mode to avoid this problem. However, Red is the color that burns in the easiest. The reason why we saw so many Blue R3's with Burn is was because a majority of people ran Blue color (RDF Polling question). People who ran the detectors as long with Red had burn in too. *EDIT* I almost forgot - The design of the R7 also helps to avoid burn in as they do move at least 1 static image or turn that image off from time to time. I forget the exact strategy they used.

Cycle through the colors, in the link below, and you can see which one's are the most susceptible.

Unfair and Unrealistic - 24/7 Static image test below
More true to life test below.

I have a Large OLED in my living room, and have had it going on 2 years now without any issues. However, I don't sit and stare at the news channels all day, so I have varying content. This means the risks for burn in are low. Considerable research time was taken before dropping the coin on this TV as it was expensive, at least to me.
It’s worth mentioning that OLED TVs and smartphones have complex algorithms that continuously keep track of what the display is showing, and they both control burn in by dimming bright static elements as well as compensate for existing burn in by changing brightness or shifting colors.

Radar detectors do not have this level of sophisticated burn in compensation.

The burn in that OLED TVs let through is “intentional”, the TV algorithm is deciding that it’s better to show some burn in than dim the whole display to offset it. The true level of burn in is much worse and well hidden by the TV.

davidc502

Avoiding Speeding Tickets
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s worth mentioning that OLED TVs and smartphones have complex algorithms that continuously keep track of what the display is showing, and they both control burn in by dimming bright static elements as well as compensate for existing burn in by changing brightness or shifting colors.

Radar detectors do not have this level of sophisticated burn in compensation.

The burn in that OLED TVs let through is “intentional”, the TV algorithm is deciding that it’s better to show some burn in than dim the whole display to offset it. The true level of burn in is much worse and well hidden by the TV.
The LG TV's go through a "pixel refresher" after the TV has been on for x hours. I've seen it a couple of times when I turned the set off, and then back on a few minutes later. I then got a message about the pixel refresher being in operation.

Considering the protections TV's have that RD's don't, it surprises me we don't see more of it. However, brightness is also a factor of burn in, and though I don't know the numbers, a RD isn't going to have near the same nit brightness as a TV. I imaging this is a factor to not seeing screens burn in nearly as quickly.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The LG TV's go through a "pixel refresher" after the TV has been on for x hours. I've seen it a couple of times when I turned the set off, and then back on a few minutes later. I then got a message about the pixel refresher being in operation.

Considering the protections TV's have that RD's don't, it surprises me we don't see more of it. However, brightness is also a factor of burn in, and though I don't know the numbers, a RD isn't going to have near the same nit brightness as a TV. I imaging this is a factor to not seeing screens burn in nearly as quickly.
It’s also worth mentioning that none of the standby displays on these detectors are at full brightness and that’s definitely on purpose that they’re visibly brighter when alerting. Being mindful of static displays is one of the cheapest options to reduce burn in effects, especially for an RD that gets to show a 100% manufacturer controlled UI.

A TV has a worse time, as does a phone, because neither can refuse to display some burn in exacerbating content that the user is insisting on showing.

Boozehound

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@jdong, it probably doesn't help that the blue, green, and red OLED pixels age and lose brightness at different rates. I wonder if Jon will use a different display technology on Theia for the same reasons MV did on V1: Longevity, ease of fitment, cost, and visibility in bright sunlight. I'm holding out for Micro LED before I replace my last generation plasma. I was surprised to see very light burnin on LED backlit LCD when used in 24/7 surveillance application. Haven't found anything better though.

Apologies for being off topic @KASeeker.

Last edited:

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Back to my original question I wonder how many R7 owners have noticed fade or image burnin and how much it has deteriorated over time. Has this problem made you wish you had bought another detector?
Thanks.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Back to my original question I wonder how many R7 owners have noticed fade or image burnin and how much it has deteriorated over time. Has this problem made you wish you had bought another detector?
Thanks.
Been running an R7 for a year and have no change in screen resolution from day 1. Most of the time I have run it in dark mode and the display is only on when a threat is detected. I actually prefer that now. I do think uniden made some changes to mitigate burn in but in dark mode it would likely take many many years to see changes to the display. Doesn't seem like there have been a lot of burn in complaints since early on, more so with the early R series. Maybe people optimized settings to avoid it.

KASeeker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
RayC did you change the colors on the display or did you leave them in the default factory setting?
Thanks.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
RayC did you change the colors on the display or did you leave them in the default factory setting?
Thanks.
I did change the display to red but changed K band arrows to green and left the Ka band red. I will probably switch it up at some point but running in dark mode the screen on time is hardly anything so I don't think burn in will be much concern. The R7 display is really nice and does mix some other colors into mix on it's own to make things easy to distinguish at a glance.

Last edited:

SilenceDogoodNinja

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Been running an R7 for a year and have no change in screen resolution from day 1. Most of the time I have run it in dark mode and the display is only on when a threat is detected.
I haven't tried this out, so sorry for the stupid question. Is that the default behaviour for dark mode with screen coming active with threats only?

mattguy10

Keep it under a hundred
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried this out, so sorry for the stupid question. Is that the default behaviour for dark mode with screen coming active with threats only?
Dark mode: screen is on during alert only

(“Dark Mode Brightness” in settings allows you to choose the brightness of the screen when an alert is present. You can select between Bright, Dim, Dimmer)

Off mode: sound only, no display during alert

SilenceDogoodNinja

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dark mode: screen is on during alert only

(“Dark Mode Brightness” in settings allows you to choose the brightness of the screen when an alert is present. You can select between Bright, Dim, Dimmer)

Off mode: sound only, no display during alert
Thank you

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Red is the color that burns in the easiest.
Did I get this backward? I thought I read that red was the least likely to cause burn in. Been using red for that very reason.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samkuzma