Updated List of Mechanical Issues with the new V1G2

IcePick74

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
lol if something doesnt turn on you press the power button no?

For sure - but I forgot it had an on button.
I suggested they might want to add it to their help script for idiots like me.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd guess that the fact that he could hear the speaker click as the audio circuit energized made him believe that it was on already. Honest mistake if you aren't really familiar with it. :)

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Happens to the best of us :)

I spent an embarrassing amount of time troubleshooting when I hardwired my V1 the first time, not realizing I had turned the knob to "off". :facepalm: It's even easier to miss now with the button, especially when the detector has always just turned on with the car and you've never had to press it before...

1600874397907.png

IcePick74

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Happens to the best of us :)

I spent an embarrassing amount of time troubleshooting when I hardwired my V1 the first time, not realizing I had turned the knob to "off". :facepalm: It's even easier to miss now with the button, especially when the detector has always just turned on with the car and you've never had to press it before...

View attachment 160074

:)

I joked with someone yesterday saying it was like the IT crowd

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep.. still having same issue with mostly V1Driver. But does it with any app. Especially with many vehicles (phones broadcasting BT). I turned off my WiFi AP in vehicles (my G2 is tucked up high, might pick something up from odd harmonic of 2.4 WiFi (BT is somewhat close I think). Did not make huge difference.
I am having an issued where my BT is dropping 2-3 times on a 30 mile drive, the last 2 weeks have been like this, where before I rarely had a disconnect. Maybe once every 2 weeks.

Also 2 times in the last week the V1G2 has restarted by itself, which is a new development. I checked the wring and its pretty simple with no issues that I could find, tests fine on voltmeter for voltage and continuation.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd contact VR about that @samq45. I've heard of one instance of the bluetooth signal getting low and leading to some drops. Check you signal strengths in the apps too. :)

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd contact VR about that @samq45. I've heard of one instance of the bluetooth signal getting low and leading to some drops. Check you signal strengths in the apps too. :)

The V1 Driver App shows between 68-78 - mostly 72 to 78. I think that is ok - but not sure. Its at most 2.5 feet between the phone and the V1G2 and the only other BT device Is my car.

Ill keep an eye on it, thanks.

gbriggs82

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My v1 makes this clicking noise every blue moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
My v1 makes this clicking noise every blue moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe this ?

ImpetuousRacer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm having a different issue. Has anyone experienced this?

After about 10 seconds, the V1 Gen 2 will make a clicking sounds and all indicators briefly show on the display. Every 10 seconds this will occur, indefinitely. During this time, even when the display looks normal, the V1 Gen 2 is not working (picking up radar signal, etc.). An attempt to hard power cycle the unit ends in the V1 freezing with all indicators illuminated on the display and will not progress further in the power on self test. This unit was purchased on 3/10/2020 and is on the latest firmware (as of today's date 10/24/2020 - I cant currently connect to get exact version number).

Video of it here:

I left unplugged for a day and was working normally. I sent into V1, and their support guy called with an EXTREMELY condescending attitude about he cant do anything because there is no info I provided. After letting him know that I had an extremely detailed description along with links to videos and images attached to the document holder on the box, and informed him he could check that out. He stated that someone else must have thrown the box out and that their policy doesn't allow them to view any electronic content, and since the issue was intermittent, it appeared to be working fine, he'd update the firmware and "bench test it". It was sent back immediately the next day, I received it, worked for a day, and now same glitch cycle started happening, and now I cant get it to go past the power on self test.

I have a newer vehicle, professionally hardwired, and wiring worked fine for 1.5 years with V1 Gen 1. Testing another V1, the wiring/power works fine.

How do I resolve if I send back to Valentine and it happens to work for the brief moment they have it?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
You may have already done this; call in and try to talk to a tech about the issue before sending it. Perhaps with a "case number" ahead of time, they will be able to stress the unit to the point where they see your issue.

It sounds like your unit went in previously during the time when they were slammed with 4,000+ upgrades.

xrayos

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Do we know what v1 did to our early V1G2’s to fix the power one issue? Was it just a firmware reflash or did we get a new board?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do we know what v1 did to our early V1G2’s to fix the power one issue? Was it just a firmware reflash or did we get a new board?
Because the Bluetooth MAC address changed; it was assumed that the main board was changed.
We found out not too long ago that the MAC address could change as part of a firmware reload as well.

All that to say that with further information, we have less to make assumptions with. :p

DrHow

Going “Plaid” (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm having a different issue. Has anyone experienced this?

After about 10 seconds, the V1 Gen 2 will make a clicking sounds and all indicators briefly show on the display. Every 10 seconds this will occur, indefinitely. During this time, even when the display looks normal, the V1 Gen 2 is not working (picking up radar signal, etc.). An attempt to hard power cycle the unit ends in the V1 freezing with all indicators illuminated on the display and will not progress further in the power on self test. This unit was purchased on 3/10/2020 and is on the latest firmware (as of today's date 10/24/2020 - I cant currently connect to get exact version number).

Video of it here:

I left unplugged for a day and was working normally. I sent into V1, and their support guy called with an EXTREMELY condescending attitude about he cant do anything because there is no info I provided. After letting him know that I had an extremely detailed description along with links to videos and images attached to the document holder on the box, and informed him he could check that out. He stated that someone else must have thrown the box out and that their policy doesn't allow them to view any electronic content, and since the issue was intermittent, it appeared to be working fine, he'd update the firmware and "bench test it". It was sent back immediately the next day, I received it, worked for a day, and now same glitch cycle started happening, and now I cant get it to go past the power on self test.

I have a newer vehicle, professionally hardwired, and wiring worked fine for 1.5 years with V1 Gen 1. Testing another V1, the wiring/power works fine.

How do I resolve if I send back to Valentine and it happens to work for the brief moment they have it?
I still get this on occasion running V1 Driver and JBV1. Not repetitive like yours. When I run the G2 naked with no apps, never happens.

You are not the only anomaly. Whoever the bench tech was should not have had a snooty Porsche nose up in the air mood.

Few weeks ago on long biz trip (3400mi) happened 4-5 times for a couple of seconds. On the JBV1, I have it set to alert when it loses the G2. Also, could hear the click and see the visual like what you have in the video, mine always recovered. No restart required. It was NOT power issue.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I called valentine research about the clicking noise. They told me it’s normal operation. Something about clearing the memory from the suppressed k band
suspicious... Poor engineering, or “we got a bug J”. Do not believe this is “planned and normal”. Oh well, no unicorns out in CM ether

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
suspicious... Poor engineering, or “we got a bug J”. Do not believe this is “planned and normal”. Oh well, no unicorns out in CM ether
It’s annoying or noticeable but the detector is not malfunctioning. Mine has been doing this sporadically since getting in March.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggo