Updated List of Mechanical Issues with the new V1G2

B737capt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, I'm sending one of mine back today for a second issue. Last week I sent 2 back to the mother ship, including this one, for display replacement. The issue today is laser falsing every 5-10 seconds no matter what I changed. I bought this G2 back in March and it has sat in my M5 in the garage and today was the first time I've used it. The other 2 I have, I've been using in other cars. I'd turn the phones off in the car, iphone and android with jbv1, and still continuous front laser falsing. After a 5 mile drive, I had about 50 falses.

When I got home I stuck another G2 in the M5 and drove for 15 minutes with no falses so it's the detector. I called Valentine and explained everything and told them that a G1 had been in the car for years with no laser falses and the tech rep said the laser portion is the same as the G1 so it has to be the detector. It's already on the way back. This one is racking up frequent flyer miles. 2002 4.1019

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, I'm sending one of mine back today for a second issue. Last week I sent 2 back to the mother ship, including this one, for display replacement. The issue today is laser falsing every 5-10 seconds no matter what I changed. I bought this G2 back in March and it has sat in my M5 in the garage and today was the first time I've used it. The other 2 I have, I've been using in other cars. I'd turn the phones off in the car, iphone and android with jbv1, and still continuous front laser falsing. After a 5 mile drive, I had about 50 falses.

When I got home I stuck another G2 in the M5 and drove for 15 minutes with no falses so it's the detector. I called Valentine and explained everything and told them that a G1 had been in the car for years with no laser falses and the tech rep said the laser portion is the same as the G1 so it has to be the detector. It's already on the way back. This one is racking up frequent flyer miles. 2002 4.1019
See yhis kinda confirms what I am suspecting --

Either Cold Solder Joints and his garage and recent heatwaves breaking the connection(s)

Or

Poor Circuit Board Traces that cant handle the heat and electrical heat the unit produces.

Or

BAD CAPs !!

Almost all Vizio TVs I bought have the defective Capacitors. EASY FIX TOO 😜😜

Many Questionable Capacitors have been sold to the American Market in the past 5+ years.
Yeah scored some most excellent prices on refurbs 👍👍🤔

Benzr

BMWBig6

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
My display just came unglued too.

xxxxxx2004 (approx 40 days)

I called V1 and they are sending me a FedEx label to repair. The nice lady couldn't verify which build week/serial received the production change, but she claims that they are now using a different adhesive. (But maybe she meant that they are only using a new adhesive for returned repair units?)

Last edited:

The WiZard

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
See yhis kinda confirms what I am suspecting --

Either Cold Solder Joints and his garage and recent heatwaves breaking the connection(s)

Or

Poor Circuit Board Traces that cant handle the heat and electrical heat the unit produces.

Or

BAD CAPs !!

Almost all Vizio TVs I bought have the defective Capacitors. EASY FIX TOO 😜😜

Many Questionable Capacitors have been sold to the American Market in the past 5+ years.
Yeah scored some most excellent prices on refurbs 👍👍🤔

Benzr
I received several letters last year asking if I wanted in on that capacitor class action lawsuit. Crazy crazy.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I received several letters last year asking if I wanted in on that capacitor class action lawsuit. Crazy crazy.
I bought and still have 65" 3D BRAND NEW VIZIO
TV ... within 2 weeks I have to unplug the power cord if i do not use it every day. ... just to turn it on
warranty or returnnit you say ??
Boxes torn and thrown away and even though slim version ... so Frickin' HEAVY i don't/Can't
Remove it off wall mounts.

I didnt plan on it crapping out as BRAND NEW not Refurbished ... so For Last 5 yrs i pull the plug and back in to turn it on. ... sigh.

I WANT IN ON THAT LAWSUIT !!

Benzr

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
My display just came unglued too.

xxxxxx2004 (approx 40 days)

I called V1 and they are sending me a FedEx label to repair. The nice lady couldn't verify which build week/serial received the production change, but she claims that they are now using a different adhesive. (But maybe she meant that they are only using a new adhesive for returned repair units?)
sorry to hear. Maybe gorilla glue now over elmers ?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

BMWBig6

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ordered a second Gen 2 today. I have it from VR direct that all are now Version 4.1019 and the display is to the new spec.
What is the "new spec" display? Are you referring to reduced light bleeding, better adhesive, or something else (new design)?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What is the "new spec" display? Are you referring to reduced light bleeding, better adhesive, or something else (new design)?
Pretty sure he's talking about a new adhesive or new process for applying the adhesive.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's talking about a new adhesive or new process for applying the adhesive.
Let’s unpack this info. So it sounds like they are “stickin’” :) with adhesive and not redesigning the front display panel to be held in place with a lip, clip or slide in or snap in trench. It was 97F (in the sun) here today in NC- a typical summer Carolina bake. Hope the new adhesive sticks! I am sorry for those that had this issue. I do keep mine out of the sun when not in use.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The display is the same design, the spec for assembly is changed.
Post automatically merged:

Let’s unpack this info. So it sounds like they are “stickin’” :) with adhesive and not redesigning the front display panel to be held in place with a lip, clip or slide in or snap in trench. It was 97F (in the sun) here today in NC- a typical summer Carolina bake. Hope the new adhesive sticks! I am sorry for those that had this issue. I do keep mine out of the sun when not in use.
I think a redesign is not practical, or needed. I'm not even sure this is completely heat related, and I don't want to wait months just for a different display design. Mine is still fine.
Anyway, VR told me it's fixed, I believe them. They've never lied to me before.😇

Last edited:

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the case "clamshell" together as two pieces right up to the screen?

If there is no separate front fascia piece and it's just two big halves, they'll likely never redesign it with grooves for the front display. The tooling cost to redesign the case would be quite high and VR probably bought a great deal of cases on the initial run to get a break in the cost.

That would be a significant loss all around.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the case "clamshell" together as two pieces right up to the screen?

If there is no separate front fascia piece and it's just two big halves, they'll likely never redesign it with grooves for the front display. The tooling cost to redesign the case would be quite high and VR probably bought a great deal of cases on the initial run to get a break in the cost.

That would be a significant loss all around.
Two big halves, no clamping around the part of the display that's delaminating.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No sure why some of you are so surprised by posts like this. More and more failures are coming out of the woodwork, either new users or from old ones who simply aren’t very active on the forums. Last I counted, I think there’s at least 100 or so failures. That’s like $50000 worth of failed product sold.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There's not 100 failures.... :rolleyes:

Regarding the display section. There's a plastic frame that surrounds the display screen. That screen has been redesigned to some degree (very recently) and my personal guess is that it's maybe more flexible and/or has a different glue on it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CARTIndyCar