Updated List of Mechanical Issues with the new V1G2

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah damn.... So mine still seems to be powering up successfully and I'm planning on a 8hr road trip tomorrow so let's see what happens. I feel like mine is overdue to die based off all of these reports. (BTW I totally just made up that estimate as an example figure, I have no real information on it....)

I like just about everything about the V1G2, just wish I had peace of mind regarding these various issues.
The one consolation that I had, that if/when it dies, it is on V1 startup, and not randomly. Believe it or not Mine booted up, started driving, had to pull over to open the locked glovebox, and on restarting the V1 died... So I didnt drive on, unknowing that there was a dead V1 on my windshield...

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! It looks like it is turning into a relatively high percentage of G2s having this issue. It looks like the 25% estimate by @jdong might be correct. Someone else posted that they called VR about this and the woman who answered the phone said it was a firmware issue. But you never know maybe she was not in the loop. If it really is a firmware issue, theoretically everyone that has an early V1 can have the same thing happen.

GTO_04
I requested new latest board. Referenced the tear downs On RDF. It is on way back already. Fed Ex overnight paid by VR. Mine was part of early ship batch.

Thanks everyone for consoling me during my loss. :)
Post automatically merged:

@DrHow on one hand it does suck, on the other at least you got it over with! The fact that you know Mike will hopefully mean they will make DAMN sure to take good care of you and fix it right! Make sure that he knows it's yours when it gets there or better yet hand it to Mike yourself!
Good point. I hesitated name dropping or pulling strings. If I have the time next week, might run over there to pick it up once finished, and say hello.

Oh, for the unit trackers, my four digits ended in 2000.

Last edited:

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@DrHow on one hand it does suck, on the other at least you got it over with!
I agree....get it over with and fixed if it is going to happen.

I have a big road trip planned in early August, and I definitely want to use my V1G2 on that trip so I hope mine is fully functional when I am ready to hit the road.
I have back up detectors on stand by should mine join the list.

@DrHow , sorry to hear your Gen2 had the power issue. VR seems to be fixing them quickly, so you should have it back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrHow

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree....get it over with and fixed if it is going to happen.

I have a big road trip planned in early August, and I definitely want to use my V1G2 on that trip so I hope mine is fully functional when I am ready to hit the road.
I have back up detectors on stand by should mine join the list.

@DrHow , sorry to hear your Gen2 had the power issue. VR seems to be fixing them quickly, so you should have it back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If mine had taken a power dump few weeks ago while on trip, would have been ok. Was PIA, but, took R7, and 360c as back ups. :) Ended up using them to do some comparison between G2. Looks like you will be taking a spare RD with you. I would... :)

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Like I've said before, we're running ghetto arrows in all four of our Mustangs with perm. mounts and hardwire kits in all of them so even if half of my detectors explode, we're still good! I've never had an issue with any of my 5 R1's, and only had the solder issue with one of my 3 Redline-O's.

I requested new latest board. Referenced the tear downs On RDF. It is on way back already. Fed Ex overnight paid by VR. Mine was part of early ship batch.

Thanks everyone for consoling me during my loss. :)

Good point. I hesitated name dropping or pulling strings. If I have the time next week, might run over there to pick it up once finished, and say hello.

Oh, for the unit trackers, my four digits ended in 2000.
In this case I'd be doing some serious name dropping, screaming in fact! If I knew MV personally I wouldn't rest until I could talk to him about all of this and get his side of the story and see what his plans are to fix it all!

Last edited:

DrHow

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Like I've said before, we're running ghetto arrows in all four of our Mustangs with perm. mounts and hardwire kits in all of them so even if half of my detectors explode, we're still good! I've never had an issue with any of my 5 R1's, and only had the solder issue with one of my 3 Redline-O's.

In this case I'd be doing some serious name dropping, screaming in fact! If I knew MV personally I wouldn't rest until I could talk to him about all of this and get his side of the story and see what his plans are to fix it all!
You make a good point. I will say something. But, not scream. He knows already, He needs no badgering like some electronic makers or IT companies (Cisco comes to mind) in order to get them to move and change their habits for the long term. Knowing the past that I have had with MV, this is real and he dislikes the situation his company is in. Problems like this almost never occur in his world. IMO he and his company are not like Cisco, or other tech company colossus. Slow moving, international employees and managed...
stubborn folks who purposely divert from truth, place systems in service before their time, knowing the customer becomes a lab rat.

As you have seen, they are providing Fed Ex priority system in order to get the devices back in fast, quick turnaround, priority ship back.

In the end, he will do what it takes to crush the issues without complaining, obfuscating, or lying. IF any folks at first got customer service response of almost disbelief, was not a plot. This is the first time in history this sort of thing happened at a product launch (or update). They now all know, accept, and very willing to be customer service focused. Anyone who is not, once exposed, will be corrected (or more action taken).

I am glad he/VR has the financial horse power to weather this, in combo with the CCP-China virus economic impact. Many other investment banker owned companies would take a financial and management shuffle hit that they may not recover In the same situation.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You make a good point. I will say something. But, not scream. He knows already, He needs no badgering like some electronic makers or IT companies (Cisco comes to mind) in order to get them to move and change their habits for the long term. Knowing the past that I have had with MV, this is real and he dislikes the situation his company is in. Problems like this almost never occur in his world. IMO he and his company are not like Cisco, or other tech company colossus. Slow moving, international employees and managed...
stubborn folks who purposely divert from truth, place systems in service before their time, knowing the customer becomes a lab rat.

As you have seen, they are providing Fed Ex priority system in order to get the devices back in fast, quick turnaround, priority ship back.

In the end, he will do what it takes to crush the issues without complaining, obfuscating, or lying. IF any folks at first got customer service response of almost disbelief, was not a plot. This is the first time in history this sort of thing happened at a product launch (or update). They now all know, accept, and very willing to be customer service focused. Anyone who is not, once exposed, will be corrected (or more action taken).

I am glad he/VR has the financial horse power to weather this, in combo with the CCP-China virus economic impact. Many other investment banker owned companies would take a financial and management shuffle hit that they may not recover In the same situation.
I didn't mean that I would scream at him literally! I'd just want him to know that it was your detector he was fixing and that the entire forum is watching and waiting to see if it gets fixed or the face peels off next week, or the same issue with the power happens again. There are lots of wolves who can't wait to see these units fail again so they'll have something to talk about and make fun of as you well know! I for one am ready for them not to have anything else to make fun of! Anyone who has tested the V1G2 against any other detector knows what a monster it is, but until these crazy problems all get fixed guess what we'll all be talking about? Then he can fix the I/O Q/T rampup and ghosting issues and this thing will be truly amazing!

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Updated through 06/26/2020

Added

Power Issue

@DrHow xxxxxx2000

**Updated info on user @illan device last 4 of serial xxxxxx2000***

Display Issues (Display Faceplate Coming Unglued \Separating From Detector Housing

@JFR

Sorry to hear @DrHow and @JFR

Thanks @illan for giving your last 4 in serial #.

RippinRider

Learning to Drive
General User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Purchase date 3/5/20, received on 3/7/20
Serial # 1423182000
Firmware: 4.1018

- Sent out last week with a separating display, received back after 3 days. Now it’s on 4.1019

Updated through 06/25/2020

Added

Power Issue

@twood xxxxxx2001 (98 days)

**Updated info on user @illan and brother's G2 that was already listed in report (added serial and days)***

Display Issues (Display Faceplate Coming Unglued \Separating From Detector Housing

@RippinRider (2nd unit) 6875382008 (5 days)
@
RippinRider (1st unit) xxxxxxxxxx ? (approx 60 days)

Sorry to hear @twood and @RippinRider

Thanks @illan for giving serial and days before failure.

Sk8

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I have one of the early units purchased on March 12th. I had the screen delamination issue, but after pushing it back on it seems to have stayed. I thought I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have the power issue. Went out for a drive today, and it will not turn on. It's the same power issue as everyone else. Looks like I'll be calling Valentine tomorrow and getting it fixed.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I have one of the early units purchased on March 12th. I had the screen delamination issue, but after pushing it back on it seems to have stayed. I thought I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have the power issue. Went out for a drive today, and it will not turn on. It's the same power issue as everyone else. Looks like I'll be calling Valentine tomorrow and getting it fixed.
Sorry to hear. Mine ordered March 6.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member