Updated List of Mechanical Issues with the new V1G2

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, we haven't heard of any SN 2003 units with the power issue yet, right?

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No joy today in central Fl. Temperature is 96 and the face plate delaminated again.

It was sent back the first of May for this issue and when I got it back the blue tooth address had changed so I'm assuming that has been part of the loss of power issue.
The face plate is attached with a thin film of adhesive nothing else is there to hold it in place.
The person I talked with was very apologetic and stated it shouldn't matter whether your in central Florida or Anchorage Alaska it shouldn't do this.
They're sending another shipping label but honestly at this point I'm losing patience.
I really like the unit, it is much quieter than the R7 it replaced but this is not acceptable.

Attachments

Bloovy One

125,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That faceplate issue is going to bite them in the ass repetitively I think. Bad choice on attachment design and also adhesive choice/use. Wouldn’t surprise me if they change the faceplate to be thinner and in-turn have less sprint back strength to help with the adhesive holding on. Only problem with that is it’ll cheapen the build quality beyond what it already isn’t. Guess Mike not leaving his car out in the sun constantly during testing this internally didn’t surface this issue. 🙄

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
No joy today in central Fl. Temperature is 96 and the face plate delaminated again.

It was sent back the first of May for this issue and when I got it back the blue tooth address had changed so I'm assuming that has been part of the loss of power issue.
The face plate is attached with a thin film of adhesive nothing else is there to hold it in place.
The person I talked with was very apologetic and stated it shouldn't matter whether your in central Florida or Anchorage Alaska it shouldn't do this.
They're sending another shipping label but honestly at this point I'm losing patience.
I really like the unit, it is much quieter than the R7 it replaced but this is not acceptable.
Sorry to hear the faceplate delaminated again. At least they are covering shipping both ways in addition to the repair. Hopefully that motivates them to come up with a proper fix, as dealing with it this way will start adding up significantly come summer.

Regarding the part I bolded, it certainly sounds like the issue is with a component on the PCB mainboard. It sounds like they are just swapping out the defective boards, which explains why they can turn them around so quickly.

Please let us know what firmware version the detector has when you get it back!

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they lost track of this unit and swapped a board INSTEAD of fixing the display screen... People lose track of things somethimes.

Raf1919

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Add me to the list. Died today. Went to pick up pizza worked fine on way there on way home dead. Have less the 300 miles on it pre ordered it.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Deadhead1971

Three Sheets to the Wind
Advanced User
Reaction score
OMG. Sorry to hear. How long have you had it? A pre-order would put you in mid March.
Post automatically merged:

The face plate needs to snap in place or be held in place by small clips or something- not adhesive

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a radius curve type of situation.

ALEXTWIN

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is so disappointing
sorry to hear this
I hope they fix your issues quickly
what a bummer after finally getting a V1G2
I’m set to get mine next week
my original V1 went back a few times as the LEDs kept failing
but they just kept fixing it
not having a backup becomes an issue as well
wait 3 months then have to send back is what I expected with the R7 but I never had any issues with that piece of air detector
maybe that’s the way to go make them out of cheap plastic

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Been doing a slight press along the faceplate in the mornings when I get in the car... preventative maintenance maybe.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
This is so disappointing
sorry to hear this
wait 3 months then have to send back is what I expected with the R7 but I never had any issues with that piece of air detector
the external material shouldn’t matter that much. The internals are what makes the V1G2 as good (or bad) as it is , and same with the r7 and others. Yes it *feels* great since we are human and use our senses, let’s put our sensations and emotions aside at times (males unite!) Lol

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I had to send mine back from power and Front display issue ending in 2003.
Received on 3/25
Power failed on 5/19
I just received Fed ex tracking # by Valentine by email today.
Really? Dammit, that's the same day I recieved mine! My serial number ends in 2002 and my faceplate is still perfect in some NC heat although it rains every damn day it seems! No power issues, just some ghosting and the hitch in my I/O Q/T ramp up. Knock on wood!

Radarvader

Noticketmaster
General User
Reaction score
This is so disappointing
sorry to hear this
I’m very seriously thinking about buying a backup unit, leaning towards a Uniden R3 until Valentine gets the issues resolved in the next few months. I never had a Uniden.

I’m patient enough since being a Valentine fan but I also understand some are not ready to jump ship.

Thea is on my mind but the price tag isn’t.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theodore1972