JBV1 - hotspot from iPhone - Possible?

rhk118

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OK, answer me this. How can your Expedition WiFi stay stable but your iPhone HotSpot can't?
Dunno, both on AT&T. Presume because cell antenna for the WiFi hotspot is up on top of the roof In a plastic antenna and not a phone inside surrounded by a cage of inductive metal? I’m paying for the WiFi hotspot regardless. For me phone has not been more than 90% effective for a long monthly road trip I take. 90% for me is annoying enough to not use the phone as a tether point (tried it for the kids iPads as well). WiFi hotspot thus far has been close to 100% (ran into an issue one time). Just an opinion, not an engineer. YMMV.

Last edited:

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I grabbed an open box Moto G6 from Amazon for $100 as a proof of concept, as my use case is only in the car and not as my phone. I haven’t felt the need to go for anything flashier yet.
Thanks for the suggestion, my G6 was delivered this past Thursday. Keeping it simple with JBV1, Waze, and Highway Radar....nothing else. Screen seems bright enough and the phone is not too big. I am slowly getting JBV1 dialed in how I like it and I think for now I am happy with minimal adjustments to the default settings. The heat map is great feature and very spot on in my local area where LEO's typically sit, which is surprising given the smaller town and not a lot of reports here. The hotspot sometimes works smoothly, other times not so much, but I bought this for long trips so if I have to fiddle with it a short bit it does not bother me so much.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnl