Question and also suggestion for low-K-threat areas

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
IMO I'd like to see gpsMute pins created even under Savvy. The savvy setting can and will be changed by the user depending on driving conditions, but gpsMute signals will always be present. In my view, savvy is a hack to quiet down the detector before stationary falses are learned via GPS. Would be nice to be able to lower or turn off savvy in your home area after stationary falses are locked out to get more situational awareness under the Savvy threshold. And like @jdong mentions, there's use cases where a route is typically traversed in traffic below savvy threshold, but then you end up with unlocked stationary falses on the rare occasion that traffic clears up.
1) Savvy isn't a hack. It's extremely robust.
2) No idea what you are talking about regarding less situational awareness.
3) No idea what your last point is about unlocked stationary false. "Savvy does not Unlock".

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Around here one town uses Ka and the next uses K. Probably 50-50.

Highway is all Ka. Well, 99%. Very little Iidar.
Where in MA are you located?

Eastern MA has plenty of K on the highway and lidar usage has ramped up along the Pike.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Where in MA are you located?

Eastern MA has plenty of K on the highway and lidar usage has ramped up along the Pike.
I'm west of 495.

I heard LIDAR is around but I just rarely ever see it ;)

I rarely see K on the highway, but I'm not that concerned because I've never had a ticket on the highway in 40 hears.
Because I don't speed all that much on the highway and generally go with the traffic. Typically no more than +10 PSL

It's off highway that's a problem and typically got a ticket when just being plain ignorant to what the PSL is.
But I will push it to +15 PSL when I do know the PSL if it feels safe to do so.

Most of my highway driving is to Central NH on weekends (late Friday evening and late Sunday evening).
Not on the pike much. And I have a no highway commute. Right now I have no drive commute :(

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
1) Savvy isn't a hack. It's extremely robust.
2) No idea what you are talking about regarding less situational awareness.
3) No idea what your last point is about unlocked stationary false. "Savvy does not Unlock".
I can't speak entirely for him, but I don't think he was saying your specific implementation of low-speed muting concepts is a hack, but rather that to him he'd rather never have to have low speed muting enabled. He'd rather feel comfortable knowing that any time he passes a stationary false at any speed, V1Driver is learning it and will then reject it when passing it later at speeds greater than Savvy cutoff rather than treating it as though it's the first time it's seen it (not locked out, which I think is what he meant by "unlocked").

I fully understand where he's coming from, though I'm not really sure who is "right" on this one. He would say no matter the speed he would prefer V1Driver learn the GPS lockouts so that whether crawling through the parking lot or passing by on the expressway, V1Driver can keep the V1 quiet. On the other hand, you would say there's no need to worry about learning something you only ever encounter at low speeds, and if you ever pass by it even once in the expressway then it will start learning it. Right? If I've got that right then he would respond that he doesn't understand why he should have to pass by it at greater than Savvy speed once when it could just be learning it the whole time.

Regardless, one relatively simple approach without having to touch any V1Driver code is to set Savvy speed very low for a while, like 15 mph. Might be high enough to keep BSMs quiet in stop-and-go traffic, but it's low enough your odds are good of catching stationary falses as dropped pins to learn. Once you've covered most of your stomping grounds, you can raise Savvy back up to a more reasonably high level and rest assured that your lockouts will continue learning no matter what.

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can't speak entirely for him, but I don't think he was saying your specific implementation of low-speed muting concepts is a hack, but rather that to him he'd rather never have to have low speed muting enabled. He'd rather feel comfortable knowing that any time he passes a stationary false at any speed, V1Driver is learning it and will then reject it when passing it later at speeds greater than Savvy cutoff rather than treating it as though it's the first time it's seen it (not locked out, which I think is what he meant by "unlocked").

I fully understand where he's coming from, though I'm not really sure who is "right" on this one. He would say no matter the speed he would prefer V1Driver learn the GPS lockouts so that whether crawling through the parking lot or passing by on the expressway, V1Driver can keep the V1 quiet. On the other hand, you would say there's no need to worry about learning something you only ever encounter at low speeds, and if you ever pass by it even once in the expressway then it will start learning it. Right? If I've got that right then he would respond that he doesn't understand why he should have to pass by it at greater than Savvy speed once when it could just be learning it the whole time.

Regardless, one relatively simple approach without having to touch any V1Driver code is to set Savvy speed very low for a while, like 15 mph. Might be high enough to keep BSMs quiet in stop-and-go traffic, but it's low enough your odds are good of catching stationary falses as dropped pins to learn. Once you've covered most of your stomping grounds, you can raise Savvy back up to a more reasonably high level and rest assured that your lockouts will continue learning no matter what.
Yep, nailed it. Definitely not saying that Savvy as implemented is a hack, but that I view the entire concept of universally muting based on speed as hacky. In the real world, I'm fine with muting the detector across the board below 25mph or so for my sanity. But in an ideal world, even if I'm sitting stationary at a stoplight, I'd still like to know that a cop is shooting radar up ahead. But I have no interest in knowing that the CVS on the corner has an automatic door opener no matter what my speed is.

As far as workarounds, I'll probably just run V1Driver with Savvy disabled for a while to give it a chance to learn stationary falses around me. This definitely isn't a make or break issue. But I was caught off-guard by this behavior of not learning signals below Savvy set speed, as that's not intuitively what I expected to occur.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
But in an ideal world, even if I'm sitting stationary at a stoplight, I'd still like to know that a cop is shooting radar up ahead.
You probably already know this, but in case it helps others, with V1Driver you can set Savvy behavior by band. In fact I think by default Ka is disabled for Savvy muting. That doesn’t help if the cop sitting in the CVS parking lot is using K-band, but until Theia shows up there’s only so much you can do.

Also, while there’s no documentation for the hardcore tinker-first-ask-questions-later crowd, to be fair the information regarding Savvy not dropping pins is included in the tip bubble if you mess with any of the Savvy band settings.

1585713191683.png

alloy00

vMax
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@jdong - to get visual but no mute, are you setting up your boxes with V1 connection or V1 Driver?

So two customizations I’m after:
1) I want to Completely mute Honda’s and gm’s, dishes, but get visuals... I think In V1 connection I could box 33.748-33.750, 24.166-24.169, and 24.196-24.200 and mute in box.

2) “Ka segmentation”. I only want visual/audible alerts of 33.7-33.9, 34.6-34.8, and 35.4-35.6. I don’t care to know anything else happening in the Ka spectrum. I think I could set up custom frequencies in V1 connection.

Is this how you guys would approach what I’m after?

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this how you guys would approach what I’m after?
Yes, that’s the difference between Custom Frequencies and simple muting. CF is for suppressing all alerts outside a given box, and it’s internal to the detector’s configuration. With V1Driver you get Mute In Box settings so that you can define a certain area (“box”) within the functioning frequencies where alerts will appear, but V1Driver will mute them.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
I didn’t take his comment as V1Driver implementas a hack. I was commenting on his view that he thinks in general speed based muting is a hack. I disagree. It’s a very clean and safe way to mute. I disagree when people push it up high though. It’s great for bumper to bumper traffic when bombarded by BSM (also a case that I don’t want to fill the database with useless data). And parking lots. Along with Savvy Warmup and Cool down.

With V1Gen2 (much better BSM filtering), Savvy (set modestly around 20 mph), Savvy Warmup, Savvy Cool Down, Auto Mute. You could drive fairly comfortably with no GPS muting.

@Deacon thanks for pointing out Savvy being band based.

I should probably add some info and checks to explain the difference between V1Driver boxing and V1 boxing.

Yes, one pass above savvy and it will start learning and keep learning even when under savvy.

blulite

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
IMO I'd like to see gpsMute pins created even under Savvy. The savvy setting can and will be changed by the user depending on driving conditions, but gpsMute signals will always be present. In my view, savvy is a hack to quiet down the detector before stationary falses are learned via GPS. Would be nice to be able to lower or turn off savvy in your home area after stationary falses are locked out to get more situational awareness under the Savvy threshold. And like @jdong mentions, there's use cases where a route is typically traversed in traffic below savvy threshold, but then you end up with unlocked stationary falses on the rare occasion that traffic clears up.
Agreed. You (mswlogo) asked why create a pin. I'm not sure why you wouldn't, it's just another data point in the database.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samkuzma